To the B500 on a K1

Benhur

Reaction score
I had arranged this trip in November last year for a group of us to head over to have a go on the B500. Unfortunately I had a skiing accident in December which left me with a very dodgy left knee.

The lads didn't want to go on the trip without me and because I was concerned that my GS would be a bit too heavy I decided to buy another bike. I settled on a TDM 900.

In the meantime I saw Den's K1 and decided I wanted it so picked it up and rode it home with no problems.

The evening before the trip was spent in the pub. I was convinced to take the K1 home to Germany - so after a quick call to the RAC to check I was covered for breakdown assistance we repacked 2 people's stuff into the GS panniers and we were ready for the off.

Day 1 - to Verdun

Our two bikes packed and ready:

DSC00506.jpg

Meeting up with the rest of the gang:

DSC00508.jpg

Our first stop was on the A5 for breakfast:

DSC00510.jpg

I was not allowed to park with the rest of the group - a K1 is definitely a "love it or loathe it sort of bike"

DSC00513.jpg

After a major blatt down the M20 we made it to the tunnel:

DSC00514.jpg

Arriving in Calais we checked to see when we needed the first petrol stop. One lad on a fireblade suggested he had a range of about 20 miles. We headed out and 52 miles later we stopped for fuel, the fireblade was coughing and spluttering by the time we stopped but any argument was prevented by this:

DSC00516.jpg

The thing about a GSA is that although the big tank means that fuel stops are few and far between, it becomes a bit of a chore if you happen to fill it up with diesel! Fortunately one of the lads had seen a £3 syphon tube in TKMax and thought it worth chucking in his kit. A quick tank drain, a bit of smoke and we were off again.

After 489 miles we arrived at our first stop just outside Verdun:

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

30 euros a night and a cracking dinner and lots of beer.

Day 2 - to Seebach

The morning was cold and foggy so we decided to go to the Ossuary at Verdun. A truly amazing place which I recommend to anyone who is passing through the area:

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

We then headed off in the general direction of Seebach, some cracking roads along the way and wonderful weather until we arrived at Pension Williams where we stayed for two nights.

DSC00537.jpg

The next morning we all headed out for a go on the B500:

DSC00540.jpg

The K1 was truly in its element here and I had a real giggle!

DSC00548.jpg

In the afternoon my friend, who was riding my GS, and I headed out again for another blast. It was absolutely fantastic fun with very little traffic and wonderful weather. On the way back into Seebach I was admiring the view of our hotel when I realised I was very deep into a bend and travelling rather too fast! I pulled on the brakes, got it all horribly wrong - too much front brake then locked the back wheel which skidded and the next thing I knew I was lying on the road. Fortunately my mate managed to avoid me but I was bloody lucky.

Anyway the rest of the boys arrived and between us we managed to get the bike out from under the ARMCO and I rode it back to the hotel. The RAC were called and because the bike was leaking oil and water it had to be taken to a garage as you aren't allowed to leak anything onto German roads.

DSC00552.jpg

So, I had managed a grand total of 780 miles before my lack of concentration screwed up my bike and my trip.

DSC00554.jpg

I banged my head so my helmet is scrap, my jacket sleeve is pretty well torn (elbow armour has got gouged too) and the back of the jacket is very scuffed. So, although I need a new helmet my jacket is now very cool! I reckon I was doing around 30mph when I came off - I now look at the scooter boys with absolute dread - without the armour and back protector I would have been flayed.

The RAC arranged a hire car so my journey continued in a Mercedes A Class.

Day 4 - Chateau Tromcourt:

Day 4 was spent like this:

DSC00555.jpg

I arrived at the hotel first - again a 30 euros a night place but it was really nice and different!

DSC00557.jpg

We spent the evening in town at a place which we decided was a gay bar, but the food was very nice!

Day 5 - to Calais

My mate on my GS decided that he had done enough riding and fancied a change. It was actually a cunning plan to get me on a bike again which was much appreciated. So he drove to Calais and I rode.

We dumped the car and I then rode pillion back home:

DSC00564.jpg

The bike was at a BMW garage in Germany, but is now home. The story of the return of Frank will be told by another member on here - a story well worth waiting for!

Next time I will stick to the Ardennes. As for the B500 - the general consensus was that it was good to have done it but, personally, the A7 is probably better!

Anyone heading out in this direction then I cannot recommend Pension Williams strongly enough - not only the lifts to the steakhouse but all of the help and advice in sorting out my bike was truly fantastic - David and Angela - thanks muchly!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Bit of an eventful trip.

Shame about the bike. No doubt the insurer will write it off. No K1 deserves that (even one in the wrong colour scheme ;)).

The RAC cover means I had up to £500 to spend on repatriating the bike. A most wonderful tosser popped over and picked it up for me. The BMW garage fixed the mechanical bits and I will get a mate to sort the fairings - seems that my little off just damaged filler anyway!

Den would kill me if I allowed it to be written off!

If it makes you feel better, we stayed at Pension Williams last year and a tour group were staying there. There tour leader's bike had ended up under the Armco too, he'd ended up in hospital. The german rozzers went to the hospital and booked him! :blast

Nice report. :thumb2

Glad you're ok Benhur, blimey you dont do things by half do you :eek...

one more for the memory box :)

What a wast of a lovely bike :tears At least you're happy to tell the tail though.

We did the B500 a couple of years ago. Some nice views. :nenau

Apparently the Germans used to kill themselves by the dozen every weekend. Now it's limited to 80kph/50mph in most places, which makes it quite boring really. Assuming you're looking where you're going of course :blast:D

Mind you, if you head a little further north from it's end. You will come to Barden Barden. This is a truly beautiful town and well worth a days wandering.

Val.

The bike will be better than ever when I have sorted out a couple of scratches ;)

Duchess - I seem to be good at moments of total stupidity at the moment! I am looking forward to part 2 of this particular ride report, and of course the get together to drown Mark in beer!

Apparently the Germans used to kill themselves by the dozen every weekend. Now it's limited to 80kph/50mph in most places, which makes it quite boring really. Assuming you're looking where you're going of course :blast:D

Much of it is actually 70kph (43 mph) was there last week (and ridden it every year since 2009) and they just seem to keep winding down the limited stretches - probably each time a Brit comes along and crashes :D

The fast parts ironically have the lowest limits, where people have crashed at 100mph+ on the sweepers where the national limit was 62mph (100kph) they lower the limit to 70kph - dunno why they think the guys happy to break the 62mph limit by 50,60,70+ mph will suddenly drive everywhere at 43mph no the limit is lower :nenau

The 50kph tend to be near the few big Hotels and Tourist spots which makes some sense (but ruins some good hairpins when no-ones around) these limits are normally for very short stretches.

The speed traps tend to be on the very fast sweepers south of the Seebach turning (and mainly on Sundays) heading north the road gets tighter (and speed limits faster)

Best thing is to ride the road and tick it off your list and then turn onto some of the twisty K & L Roads - less traffic and less fuzz, but still great twisty roads and fantastic scenery - and plenty of unpaved roads for those that way inclined.

I agree with you there Rasher. I've been through there the last couple of years and there's a couple of good stretches to the north mostly spoit by speed restrictions now. A lot of the K & L roads offer much better riding.

Bloody hell Benhur, you choose a famous Roman name (I saw the film and Charlie would never have gone under the Armco on his chariot :mad:). Joking aside glad you were ok apart from your dented pride, the K1 will mend and you are sure to sharpen up your concentration in future :D I wish you many more happy mishap free smiley mileys :thumb2:clap

One of my 'old' ones :bow

Attachments

• K1 Red 001 small.jpg
    K1 Red 001 small.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 178
Glad you are okay but that bump on the head may have been a little more serious than you first thought..........
As for the B500 - the general consensus was that it was good to have done it but, personally, the A7 is probably better!

:D:D

By the way, if you have any links to those hotels much appreciated:thumb

I guess this is why parts of the B500 are prohibited to motorcycles on Bank Holidays and Weekends.
Shame - it's a lovely road, there's no need to go nuts.

:(

I guess this is why parts of the B500 are prohibited to motorcycles on Bank Holidays and Weekends

Just came back having ridden on the Sunday before a national holiday - never heard of motorcycles being prohibited :nenau

By the way, if you have any links to those hotels much appreciated

http://www.pension-williams.com/

A good value alternative near Verdun

http://www.twowheelmoorings.co.uk/

Stayed at both places for at least a couple of nights for the last four years, hoping to get back out there for a second visit this year.

Chateau Tromcourt was where we stayed on the last night - the link can be found through booking.com

The first night was at Village Gaulois

Address 11 Rue Du Parge Marre
Verdun, 55100
France

Again booked through booking.com.

Chateau Tromcourt didn't have a bar and were only renting rooms while they renovate the place so worth going soon.

I am sure they both have websites.

Pension Williams was our destination based on recommendations on here. Excellent.

Last edited:
I didn't actually come off on the B500 - I had just gone past the steakhouse on the way back down and switched off a bit too soon!

Back
Top Bottom