Crossing the Russian border

I'll keep my eye out for you. When and where's the rally? Might go myself if I can?

The Rally/Show is in Irbit, nearest big town is Yekaterinburg and it is on the last weekend in July (27-29th). At least, I hope it is because I won't be Mr Popular if I get the wrong weekend. (I did email the organisers and had a reply so am certain really).

From what I gather it is pretty huge so I can't imagine it will be too hard to find. See you there (possibly)!

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll let you know how we do and post up some pictures when I'm back.

My Russian sadly isn't up to anything so navigating should be a hoot. Russian maps seem a bit thin on the ground as well. I managed to get a map, but turns out it is a Political map and there's no roads shown on it. Having a political map on me will probably mean I'll get done for being a spy as well. :D

I've got Russian mapping on my sat nav so I'm sure one way or another we'll get by. All part of the fun (I think!).

Are you sure that your Russian sat nav mapping includes English translations at street level? The Garmin maps that Roynie bought last year only showed English-version place names on the higher level maps. Once you got down to street-level, it was all Cyrillic. You don't need to be able to speak Russian, but it really is well worthwhile to learn how to pronounce the Cyrillic alphabet.

Re Russian maps, buy them at a gas station once you are over the border.

Are you sure that your Russian sat nav mapping includes English translations at street level? The Garmin maps that Roynie bought last year only showed English-version place names on the higher level maps. Once you got down to street-level, it was all Cyrillic. You don't need to be able to speak Russian, but it really is well worthwhile to learn how to pronounce the Cyrillic alphabet.

Re Russian maps, buy them at a gas station once you are over the border.

Mine is a Garmin as well, so I'm guessing it will be the same – oh joy! I'll do what I can before I go, but we have phrasebooks etc so that will have to do I guess.

Many thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Thanks for the kind offer. I won't take it as I may buy one as I wouldn't like to get someone else's soggy and tattered. I have a bit of a problem with responsibility and commitment (apparently) :D

Thanks for the link though!

I didn't take it with me, too heavy and confusing even to work out what page you may be on.

I just used Garmin World Map (very basic and often inaccurate!!) although did take a paper map which I later gave to Tiffany before she entered Russia.............I decided not to tell her it was marked not with roads, but railways:D

Do you still need a 'Business' visa due to the length of your stay and duel entry?

Yeah, double entry business visa: 90 day version. The 6 month multi-entry, which still only gives you max 90 days, was nearly double the price. I've applied through Real Russia, who have been great so far, they do an all-in service. Plus, its all done by post, no visiting embassies. You pay a little extra but what I've saved on trains to London and time off work I'm quids in.

Russian maps seem a bit thin on the ground... get[ting] done for being a spy... Russian mapping on my sat nav...

I have this one too. It's reccomended by Walter Colebatch over at the HUBB. It's all in Russian but it looks very good. My gran is convinced I'm going to get arrested for spying: not sure if she thinks I secretly work for MI6 or whether she thinks it's still the Cold War. My helmet cam doesn't alleviate her concerns. :blast I have the zumo 660... at some point before I leave I'll update it with the free OSM maps for the bits not covered: Turkey, Georgia, Russia & Mongolia.

The Rally/Show is in Irbit, nearest big town is Yekaterinburg and it is on the last weekend in July (27-29th)... From what I gather it is pretty huge so I can't imagine it will be too hard to find. See you there (possibly)!

Sadly, my Russian Visa won't start until 01/08/12 so I'll miss it. I really hope to come across a biker rally or two in Russia. Have fun though, I'm sure you will. Hopefully we'll meet on the road.

:beerjug:

Oh, and still not heard anything from my insurance company regarding my request for a green card...

Did get approved for the Halifax Clarity Card though. Apparently it's the top travellers credit card.

Sadly, my Russian Visa won't start until 01/08/12 so I'll miss it. I really hope to come across a biker rally or two in Russia. Have fun though, I'm sure you will. Hopefully we'll meet on the road.

Ok, never mind. Have a great time and a safe journey. :beerjug:

Sadly, my Russian Visa won't start until 01/08/12 so I'll miss it. I really hope to come across a biker rally or two in Russia ....

You could do worse than to contact The Bike Centre (you can use Google to translate the pages), Str. Lower Mnevniki, 110, Moscow. It's Moscow's oldest biker bar and home of the Night Wolves m/c club. Great for beer and a decent burger. :thumb

Russia enforces a strict zero-tolerance policy on alcohol and driving. If you want a beer, best take a taxi!

You could do worse than to contact The Bike Centre (you can use Google to translate the pages), Str. Lower Mnevniki, 110, Moscow. It's Moscow's oldest biker bar and home of the Night Wolves m/c club. Great for beer and a decent burger. :thumb

Russia enforces a strict zero-tolerance policy on alcohol and driving. If you want a beer, best take a taxi!

:thumb Great stuff, I'll look them up when I'm in Moscow.

....... although did take a paper map which I later gave to Tiffany before she entered Russia.............I decided not to tell her it was marked not with roads, but railways:D

Did she spot the deliberate mistake?

Ya bugger :aidan

:beerjug:

I've just returned from a 3,500 mile return trip to Novgorod, Russia, outwards via Vilnius and back via Tartu (Estonia) and Riga (Latvia).

But you must at all times stay alert and keep your eye on the ball, and the road ahead. You cannot afford to let your attention wander for a moment.

Go there, see for yourself. Now.

John Gudgeon
Thanks John,

Well laid out, even I can clearly understand it. :D

vette

I couldnt get a green card with bm insurance but carol nash would do it at a cost of nearly seven hundred quid a couple of my mates went that route, me an another found a little booth just across the border 20 quid :thumb ps it took
us 5 hours to get across from narva into russia mainly due to the fact that they kept giving us the import forms in russian, I wish id taken a photo of the form would have been handy for future ref, best of luck with your trip.

Anyone happen to know which if any UK insurers include green card cover in Russia (west of Urals) ? Gotta renew my insurance next week.... Otherwise I'll pick some up at the border between Estonia and Russia at Narva

Back
Top Bottom