Which Modern bikes will become Classics?

To me the Yamaha SR500 is a nice classic. It was introduced at a time when bike got faster and faster, had more and more "features". The SR500 stood out as beautiful (to me) classic bike even back then.

I has an SR500E back around 85

I wish I still had it :cool:

My future classics

I bought all of these because I thought they would become future classics, which I think they will. The SP2 is for sale though. Sorry, don't know why some of the have capsized

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_5897.jpg
    IMG_5897.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 656
I've just bought this :cool:

PA180001.jpg

PA180003.jpg

An 888 SP5 … one of only 16 officially brought in to the UK (Note MPH Speedo) :augie

An unmolested two owner bike :D

Bloody lovely!

I bought a 888 back in the day. Within a few weeks Ducati unveiled the 916 and the value of my bike dropped off a cliff.

It’s strange but I’ve always hated the looks of the 916. Funny that.

Funny enough I had a message from him this morning trying to arrange a date when he could send his courier over to collect the bike ? I was very tempted to reply with "what bike" ? :D

Anyway, modern classics.

I’ve always held the view that for me to put a bike in that category I’ve got to want one, it has to be something that you’d have on a poster on your bedroom wall as a kid because it’s ‘special’ and it needs to be something that other riders will stop and look at because they appreciate it as well.

There’s only been one that qualified in the last 5 years and that’s the supercharged Kawasaki H2R. Not the lardy version with panniers and a pillion seat but the proper, full fat, big balls sports bike version :bow

Well, back in 2008 when this thread started, top of my list was an R1100s boxer cup. Guess what? I've just bought one. A Mamola 1100s anyway.
Anyone else bought any of their predictions. I've looked at several over the last 10 years but never actually pulled the plug. Times marching on, thought I'd best get my finger out. Funny how things crop up when you stop looking.

VTR 1000 Firestorms can't get any cheaper and will make rideable classics in the future as numbers drop away, especially yellow ones. Good Kawasaki ZZR1400 should make good useable classics as well.

Attachments

• vtr 1000 Firestorm.jpg
    vtr 1000 Firestorm.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 48
VTR 1000 Firestorms can't get any cheaper and will make rideable classics in the future as numbers drop away, especially yellow ones. Good Kawasaki ZZR1400 should make good useable classics as well.
I don’t see the Firestorm gaining classic status. Thirsty, low range, not that attractive. Bang average bike. Same goes for ZZR1400, plus it is a sports tourer which is a category that struggles where classic status is concerned.

I don’t see the Firestorm gaining classic status. Thirsty, low range, not that attractive. Bang average bike. Same goes for ZZR1400, plus it is a sports tourer which is a category that struggles where classic status is concerned.
Firestorms are great bikes, I get over 40mpg, comfortable, fun to ride. It’s when you mess with them the fuel consumption is impacted, keep it standard, however I agree it will never be a classic in my lifetime, too many still around, however they are cheap and easy to work on, i love mine

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 37
BMW R1200ST

a1e1f2644b5aafa514d6f5d2cf7ae5b3.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk
If anyone has a need, I have a new ESA rear shock and spring, complete with stepper motor for one of these, for sale.

Pre-load motor was used on my RT.

BMW R1200ST

Years ago, a BMW main dealer supplied me with one of those heaps as a loan bike when my GS was in for service, it was a brand new bike. Wizzing along I got the feeling that 'summat was up' Sure enough, the right hand clip on style handlebar was coming nicely loose, I've forgotten how I tightened it up but there was something in the tool kit to do it.

They decided not to charge me for the loan bike.

R1200st. Rode one once when my r1200gs was having a service.
didn’t like it, and thought it had fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, whilst overdosing on ugly pills.
In my mind it had nothing going for it. Future classic? Not in my garage.

R1200st. Rode one once when my r1200gs was having a service.
didn’t like it, and thought it had fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, whilst overdosing on ugly pills.
In my mind it had nothing going for it. Future classic? Not in my garage.

I think (hope) the pilot jests....;)

One can hope….. or maybe he has been at altitude too long, and the lack of oxygen has affected his brain cells
(yes, I know the plane is pressurised)

Back
Top Bottom