Explorer is selling well!!

May's sales figures are out.....guess which bike sold the most in the over 1000cc category.....that'll be the GSA.... again

The important thing is the residuals at the end of the day and i don't think the Explorer even comes close. I've seen Explorers now coming up for sale losing £10K after three years. There's also a report on just that in one of the bike mags complaining this being the biggest expense of ownership!!!

Last week, having ordered a rear comfort seat (Reduced from over a hundred quid to just 26!) from Youles in Blackburn , Lancashire, I rode over to pick it up. Before I set off, the wife quite cannily said "Don't go buying a new bike". I didn't intend to, but was thinking about taking a 1200 Explorer for a spin, just to try it out......

So, 2 O'clock, I park the bike up and walk into an empty showroom, the only bloke in the place. I'm wearing a decent jacket, carrying an expensive helmet and wearing a pair of Daytona Goretex boots. I'm in my 50's. Having worked in sales many years ago, had I walked into my own workplace then, it would have been a race between me and 3 others as to who could get to the bloke who's clearly got a few quid and no responsibilities first. Neither of the 2 sales blokes moved an inch. One of them appeared to be doing nothing, but he didn't even acknowledge me as I sat on a couple of bikes and tried on a very expensive and rather nice leather jacket. Not even a "Hi", "Can I help you" or "Would you like a brew, seeing as it's freezing out there today".

I'm appalled that where there is so much competition these days, they just can't be bothered and this is in a month where they traditionally sell nothing and earn little commission for January! God only knows what they're like in July.

Contrast that with the reception I got at BMW just down the road: Coffee, warm friendly greetings from several staff, "Can we help you" as soon a I walked in and a bit of banter. Triumph aren't making it easy for themselves. if my experience is anything like commonplace, they won't be selling many Explorers!

Any thoughts on the latest gen 2018 model....... is it a big step over the previous generation (2016 - 2018) ??

Last week, having ordered a rear comfort seat (Reduced from over a hundred quid to just 26!) from Youles in Blackburn , Lancashire, I rode over to pick it up. Before I set off, the wife quite cannily said "Don't go buying a new bike". I didn't intend to, but was thinking about taking a 1200 Explorer for a spin, just to try it out......

So, 2 O'clock, I park the bike up and walk into an empty showroom, the only bloke in the place. I'm wearing a decent jacket, carrying an expensive helmet and wearing a pair of Daytona Goretex boots. I'm in my 50's. Having worked in sales many years ago, had I walked into my own workplace then, it would have been a race between me and 3 others as to who could get to the bloke who's clearly got a few quid and no responsibilities first. Neither of the 2 sales blokes moved an inch. One of them appeared to be doing nothing, but he didn't even acknowledge me as I sat on a couple of bikes and tried on a very expensive and rather nice leather jacket. Not even a "Hi", "Can I help you" or "Would you like a brew, seeing as it's freezing out there today".

I'm appalled that where there is so much competition these days, they just can't be bothered and this is in a month where they traditionally sell nothing and earn little commission for January! God only knows what they're like in July.

Contrast that with the reception I got at BMW just down the road: Coffee, warm friendly greetings from several staff, "Can we help you" as soon a I walked in and a bit of banter. Triumph aren't making it easy for themselves. if my experience is anything like commonplace, they won't be selling many Explorers!

Don't know which dealer you visited? Had you have gone to team Roberts in Conisburgh you would have received a very warm welcome, and got a cup of tea and biscuits.

Any thoughts on the latest gen 2018 model....... is it a big step over the previous generation (2016 - 2018) ??

I've had a GEN1, GEN2 and now a Tiger 1200. Gen1 was a lovely bike, but suspension and brakes both left a little to be desired. Gen 2 was a massive improvement with TSAS suspension and Brembo brakes. The Gen3 Explorer or Tiger 1200 to give it it's correct title, is a totally different animal. It's just a better bike in every way, with the exception of the clutch, which doesn't grab until it's almost fully released. I must admit having now done 6k on the bike I'm still struggling with the clutch.

Engine has a lighter flywheel which helps the bike rev up quicker and makes, what in my opinion is the best motorcycle engine ever produced, even better. TFT screen is very clear and intuitive and contrasts automatically depending on the light. I thing the rake and trail have altered slightly and the bike does turn in a little quicker. The quick shifter, it's an absolute hoot, especially when coming upto a fast bend when you need to click down 3 gears. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Attention to detail and finish is first class. Overall, it's without doubt the best bike I've ever ridden.

After hearing everything about the new GS I did think I should give it a go. It's a very nice bike, but I shall never take a big bike like this off road and as a bike for road use only, for me it doesn't even come close to the Tiger 1200.

Don't know which dealer you visited? Had you have gone to team Roberts in Conisburgh you would have received a very warm welcome, and got a cup of tea and biscuits.

I had the same experience with my local Triumph dealership, nobody was interested.

I've had a GEN1, GEN2 and now a Tiger 1200. Gen1 was a lovely bike, but suspension and brakes both left a little to be desired. Gen 2 was a massive improvement with TSAS suspension and Brembo brakes. The Gen3 Explorer or Tiger 1200 to give it it's correct title, is a totally different animal. It's just a better bike in every way, with the exception of the clutch, which doesn't grab until it's almost fully released. I must admit having now done 6k on the bike I'm still struggling with the clutch.

Engine has a lighter flywheel which helps the bike rev up quicker and makes, what in my opinion is the best motorcycle engine ever produced, even better. TFT screen is very clear and intuitive and contrasts automatically depending on the light. I thing the rake and trail have altered slightly and the bike does turn in a little quicker. The quick shifter, it's an absolute hoot, especially when coming upto a fast bend when you need to click down 3 gears. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Attention to detail and finish is first class. Overall, it's without doubt the best bike I've ever ridden.

After hearing everything about the new GS I did think I should give it a go. It's a very nice bike, but I shall never take a big bike like this off road and as a bike for road use only, for me it doesn't even come close to the Tiger 1200.

Great insight.......cheers.

Exactly the same for me at performance triumph Stratford

Is that Blades on Western Road? I believe they are having an open evening on Feb 21st to show off the 2019 models. I'll be popping in with some mates to kick a few tyres, drink their coffee and snaffle a sausage roll. Followed by a decent curry afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom