My new Project: R65

Tied up all the new wiring today after fitting additional spotlights. Managed to sort out the relay and power feed from the main beam. Even managed to fit a nice illuminated switch for the spots on the ignition panel.
FB_IMG_1455307857403_zpsznyknmev.jpg

FB_IMG_1455307907446_zpsyavy0k0b.jpg

Keen observers might note that the idiot lights are turned around 180 degrees. I only noticed this when the rhs light flashed when the lhs indicator was on.
FB_IMG_1455307872549_zpsuiir2cwj.jpg

Tied up all the new wiring today after fitting additional spotlights. Managed to sort out the relay and power feed from the main beam. Even managed to fit a nice illuminated switch for the spots on the ignition panel.

Does that mean that the main beam power supply is powering the relay alone or the relay and the spots? The spot performance may benefit from having a separate power feed from the battery although it won't be an issue to power the relay from the main beam power supply. Even a pair of 8 or 10watt LED lamps will add almost 2 amps to the power demand and if the main beam wiring is specced to match the original you may see a performance drop on both head beam and spots.

Does that mean that the main beam power supply is powering the relay alone or the relay and the spots? The spot performance may benefit from having a separate power feed from the battery although it won't be an issue to power the relay from the main beam power supply. Even a pair of 8 or 10watt LED lamps will add almost 2 amps to the power demand and if the main beam wiring is specced to match the original you may see a performance drop on both head beam and spots.
The relay is fed power direct from the battery. The other leads from the relay are to the spots and the switch. The power to the illuminated switch comes from the main beam circuit. I think...
But it works!
Fixed up the Honda front brake light and then bought a universal rear brake light switch to fix up.
Project now on back burner as other issues have come up.:(

It lives!
Finally got it all together with the new seat fitted. Fitted new throttle cables and new fuel lines. Found a few litres of fuel and poured it in. Just slipped the silencers on as never expected it to start...

Bloody Hell! Gave it some choke and it fired up instantly. Sounds amazing. Wife ran from house wondering what on earth the noise was. Horses bolted in field. Engine sounds lovely.

Still a few teething problems to sort. The electrics are "interesting" with different features depending on position of ignition key. Everything sort of works but at different times.

The rear shock is far too soft. I obviously over estimated how much weight I was going to lose. I need to see if suspension man will swap for stronger spring. I think a BMW weighs a bit more than a Ktm 2 stroke.

Anyone who is around this way is welcome to call in to help with the fine tuning.

Still a few teething problems to sort. The electrics are "interesting" with different features depending on position of ignition key. Everything sort of works but at different times.

That's the normal set up with an R65 ignition switch.

The R65 used the ignition switch to turn on/off the ignition, sidelights, headlight and parking light = total of 5 different ignition switch positions :D

So Sid's bike lives on - kind of....

I bought it in a drunken haze at one of his numerous "leaving the UK" do's. I thought paying a king's ransom for it a way of repaying Sid back for his favours and generosity over the years, plus it'd save him the hassle of lugging it over to France.
my garage for a couple of years. No progress made.

Anyhow, the time is now to get this old lump finished off and out on the trails.

Does anyone have a pdf manual for this engine series? 1982.

Also an original rear subframe, I'm not convinced of Sid's EXC subframe that's been grafted on in a Frankenstein esq manner.

Thanks, Mike

So Sid's bike lives on - kind of....

I bought it in a drunken haze at one of his numerous "leaving the UK" do's. I thought paying a king's ransom for it a way of repaying Sid back for his favours and generosity over the years, plus it'd save him the hassle of lugging it over to France.
my garage for a couple of years. No progress made.

Anyhow, the time is now to get this old lump finished off and out on the trails.

Does anyone have a pdf manual for this engine series? 1982.

Also an original rear subframe, I'm not convinced of Sid's EXC subframe that's been grafted on in a Frankenstein esq manner.

Thanks, Mike
Can I ask if you changed the subframe and got this finished? I'm contemplating building something along the same lines. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom