Alternative rear tyre size

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A search hasn't revealed an answer to this, so....

Has anyone fitted a 150/70 x 17 rear tyre on their F650 GS, in place of the OE 140/80 x 17 ?

Having done the figures, it's only 2.1% smaller in circumference so the gearing change will be negligible. So I'm interested in whether or not the extra 10 mm in width will raise any clearance issues and how it might feel on the road, as I'd anticipate that it would slow the rate of turn slightly. That's assuming that a 150 will fit on the rear rim, in the first place.

A search hasn't revealed an answer to this, so....

Has anyone fitted a 150/70 x 17 rear tyre on their F650 GS, in place of the OE 140/80 x 17 ?

Having done the figures, it's only 2.1% smaller in circumference so the gearing change will be negligible. So I'm interested in whether or not the extra 10 mm in width will raise any clearance issues and how it might feel on the road, as I'd anticipate that it would slow the rate of turn slightly. That's assuming that a 150 will fit on the rear rim, in the first place.

I can't see any problems. The back end is basically the same as the F800GS which has a 150/70 tyre, so I can't see any clearance issues. The rim at 3.5 inches is at the narrow end of spec for a 150 but otherwise ok.

I can't see any problems. The back end is basically the same as the F800GS which has a 150/70 tyre, so I can't see any clearance issues. The rim at 3.5 inches is at the narrow end of spec for a 150 but otherwise ok.

That's helpful, thank you. My neighbour needs tyres for her F650 GS and I just happen to have a pair of very lightly used Anakees, in 1200 size, sitting in the shed.

The last two rear tires I have put on my F650GS have been the "other" size.
Easy to get used to, better selection, and not much difference. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom