Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin dealer urgently wanted in South of France

Garmin dealer urgently wanted in South of France

Here I am, 2 days into my trip, and my Zumo 550 has packed up. Typical digitiser issues if ADVRider is anything to go by. Having thought about it (and I'm probably gonna get shot down in flames for this one) but I reckon my best chance of salvaging this trip is to get myself another unit locally, ideally a 660. Sure, I could use paper maps just like we used to, but I've been planning this run for over 2 years now and the amount of stuff I have ready in Mapsource (well, Basecamp) is unreal. Plus I'm carp with maps.

So, does anyone know of a dealer in the South of France that's likely to have something in stock? Anywhere between Marseille / Nice / Grenoble will be fine, only I don't have time to try them all on the off chance and my French isn't quite up to scratch for phoning round I'm afraid.

Sorry, that's both vague and useless, isn't it? Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
    http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/deale...country=France

Isn't the Internet wonderful.....?
    Yeah, tremendous. The only non-aviation one is in Paris.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by muppix View Post
    Yeah, tremendous. The only non-aviation one is in Paris.
    Yep i tried as well and that's the only one coming up aswell..

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quite a few on-line retailers like this one....

http://www.la-rose-des-vents.fr/gps-moto.php

I suspect there may not be many bricks 'n' mortar retailers.

I guess one option would be to find a BMW Motorrad dealership which has a Navigator IV in stock. That'd inevitably be a bit more expensive.....

From Garmin France's website stockists in Nice

AZUR AUTO/MOBILES SERVICES - GARAGE VERNIER
    17 RUE VERNIER
    , 06000 NICE
    Tél. : 04 93 82 05 56 Fax : 04 93 87 95 07 Email : info@ra.nice-01.citroen.fr
    Site internet : www.citroen.fr

Darty
    28 Av Notre-Dame, 06000 Nice
    Tél. : 0821 082 082
    Site internet : http://www.darty.fr

DARTY NICE 2 LINGOSTIERE
    RN 202 forum lingostiere
    , 06000 NICE
    Tél. : 0493182055

DARTY NICE NOTRE DAME
    28 avenue Notre Dame
    , 06000 NICE
    Tél. : 04 92 17 43 63

FNAC NICE
    30 avenue Jean M?decin
    , 06000 NICE
    Tél. : 04 92 17 77 77
    Site internet : http://www.fnac.com

S.A.R.L GARAGE MERIDIONAL
    11 AVENUE ISNARD
    , 06000 NICE
    Tél. : 04 93 86 24 96 Fax : 04 93 86 24 96 Email : info@ra.nice-90.citroen.fr
    Site internet : www.citroen.fr

Quite a few on-line retailers like this one....

http://www.la-rose-des-vents.fr/gps-moto.php
    Thanks for that - duly ordered along with 24h pre-09:00 delivery to tomorrow's hotel. Let's hope it all goes through smoothly and that I can bodge it onto the bike without too much effort ...

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    From Garmin France's website stockists in Nice
    Citroen?!?

Darty is a good shout (as is Carrefour which I'd researched originally) but they only stock the 220.

Hmm, Carrefour do them online, not sure if the shops have them though?

Sounds like yer sorted now though, if you get any probs, PM me, useless on the technical side but French is grand

Rob
    'Not all who wander are lost.' - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by crumbles View Post
    Yep i tried as well and that's the only one coming up aswell..
    Thanks Crumbles, I appreciate it. I bet all those on the "official" list extort a mark-up for the privilege to boot.

I'd thought about going down the BMW Navigator route, but rather than the price putting me off it's the possibility they may have fiddled with the firmware, giving me headaches later on.

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'd thought about going down the BMW Navigator route, but rather than the price putting me off it's the possibility they may have fiddled with the firmware, giving me headaches later on.
    They have a bit and the hardware is slightly different but I doubt it would have presented you with any problems. It comes with a power lead which plugs straight into the dedicated socket on the loom on current bikes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by franco View Post
    Hmm, Carrefour do them online, not sure if the shops have them though?

Sounds like yer sorted now though, if you get any probs, PM me, useless on the technical side but French is grand
    Cheers Rob. I saw that on the Carrefour site and tried in vain to find a 'check stock at store' option or even a list of stores so that I could visit the larger ones, but they don't seem to have that feature on their otherwise good site.

Dafy Moto's site is a little behind the times too, they're still pedalling the Zumo 500, and the branch I popped into today in Gap didn't even have that.

To round things off nicely it seems that Capital One have tried to call me about a possible fraudulent purchase I may have made in France. You know, the card that I used to book my chunnel tickets, pay for fuel at the port, and on the Autoroute, and at various eateries on the way down. I called them and spoke for an expensive and enlightening 15 minutes with a lady in Manila, who assured me my order had gone through. So, if it doesn't arrive at my hotel by tomorrow 09:00 as promised I may take you up on your kind offer of language expertise - look out for a PM @ 09:01.

Either way I owe you a beer and will be around for another week (in the region, not the hotel, inshallah)

Cheers,
    Mark.

They have a bit and the hardware is slightly different but I doubt it would have presented you with any problems. It comes with a power lead which plugs straight into the dedicated socket on the loom on current bikes.
    That sounds like it may be handy, I'm just thinking about the upgrade process from 550 - 660, specifically if it's something I can undertake over breakfast with a couple of spoons.

A dedicated plug for the loom might well be handy but in any event I can sacrifice the Canbus-to-Ciggie converter lead I carry and shoehorn it into the accessory socket.
    Last edited by muppix; 27-08-12 at 14:39. Reason: must learn to speel

So, if it doesn't arrive at my hotel by tomorrow 09:00 as promised I may take you up on your kind offer of language expertise - look out for a PM @ 09:01.

Either way I owe you a beer and will be around for another week (in the region, not the hotel, inshallah)

Cheers,
    Mark.
    Ha ha, I tried to send you a PM with me contact details, but couldn't. Then noticed you're not a subscriber. So, you can't PM me either

Quote Originally Posted by franco View Post
    Ha ha, I tried to send you a PM with me contact details, but couldn't. Then noticed you're not a subscriber. So, you can't PM me either
    Bugger - I wondered what had happened to my avatar. Must get around to renewing that.

I don't like posting that kind of info in public forums and I'm sure you take the same view. If you're still up for it post your email addy as a comment on my blog where, because you're a new commenter, it'll be held for moderation. Don't worry, I'll junk it after replying via email. Ça Marche?

Couldn't see how to post a blog entry, just email "bmw1150gsadventure@gmail.com" and that'll get forwarded on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast