Enfield Bullet 350 v 500?

mine is running loads better now i have drained and cleaned the tank, the tap, and carb of its years old unleaded.. and filled with fresh fuel:blast. replacing the 10volt battery with a new 13volt battery (£14 posted :D) has breathed new life into the lazy lecktricks

any of you guys familiar with the 500 Bullet (pre-fancy pants ones)?

reading through an online manual to find the rocker/valve clearances...

says the gap is zero at the rockers ????????????

is this right?

never owned a vehicle yet where the valve clearances were .000" ?

any gser familiar with the bullet please pm me so i can pick your brains on the basics..

thanks
David

mine is running loads better now i have drained and cleaned the tank, the tap, and carb of its years old unleaded.. and filled with fresh fuel:blast. replacing the 10volt battery with a new 13volt battery (£14 posted :D) has breathed new life into the lazy lecktricks

any of you guys familiar with the 500 Bullet (pre-fancy pants ones)?

reading through an online manual to find the rocker/valve clearances...

says the gap is zero at the rockers ????????????

is this right?

never owned a vehicle yet where the valve clearances were .000" ?

any gser familiar with the bullet please pm me so i can pick your brains on the basics..

thanks
David

Ive got a 500

Yep thats right .00 clearance, measured at the cam follower end of the pushrods (not the rocker end) behind the small square plate on the right hand side at the bottom of the barrel. Check clearance when hot.:thumb2

Ive got a 500

Yep thats right .00 clearance, measured at the cam follower end of the pushrods (not the rocker end) behind the small square plate on the right hand side at the bottom of the barrel. Check clearance when hot.:thumb2

thanks..

it gets wierder the deeper you get into it.. .00 clearance at the wrong end of the pushrods.. with the engine HOT:blast

found a really usefull set of links on utube for servicing the enfield..

here is one of many by the same guy..
http://youtu.be/qWczauM-nFs

David

Stick with it, once you get your eye in they are beguilingly simple devices really. Uber cheap spares (checkout Hitchcocks website), nearly everything fixable with simple tools, loads of character, fun at 55mph (feels a lot faster) brings a smile to my face every time I ride it - I feel like a proper motorcyclist as opposed to a biker, if you know what I mean!

Carried out a few mods on mine, 50's style louder exhaust, junked the airbox for a mesh filter with re-jetting, single seat, old style smiths chonometric speedo and ammeter, few new bits and bobs here and there etc etc. I would say its a keeper as it scratches the "classic" itch nicely.

Has it been reliable? mostly, apart from a couple of minor issues, but thats part of the (ahem) charm of older bikes isn't it?

Main usual issues are kick starter pawl is notoriously weak (easy enough to fix in an hour or so, done mine) oil pump drive stripping (itself easy enough to fix with an uprated one from Hitchcocks, - as long as the engine hasn't lunched itself), and quite a few wet sump. (always "park" the engine at TDC, and dont use the side stand for long periods if it has one).

Tips - use ATF for the primary drive oil, gives a nicer clutch action, and also use ATF for the fork oil as this give improved damping. Top the gearbox up with engine oil (20/50) OR use 00 grade grease available from Hitchcocks. If the final drive chain looks too loose, then its about the right tension. If the exhaust is blowing between the head and pipe joint, use normal bathroom silicone sealant.

Other than that, go rack up the miles! :D

(period costume recommend for full effect as well...........:rolleyes:)

I have a 93 350, it now has boyer EI, and a new Mikuni carb, runs great, and did a week touring Wales back in may fully freighted, although it did loose a sidestand/exhaust bolt in Wales so we had to make one at a local garage...:D

p502218570.jpg

p600113715.jpg

p547417928.jpg

p802711612.jpg

:thumb

great photos Kevin... looked like a good tour too!:thumb

mines getting better... i made it to the Rivington Bike meet..and home:D on Sunday without incident.. thats about 22miles all in:blast getting better at the right hand gear changes (its been a very long time) and gave it a good thrash through some of the twisties... must have hit 35 maybe even 40mph at one point:blast
its a great conversation starter for sure, and seems to amuse the other bikers present when its time to start it (3rd kick)
been busy picking peoples brains on the bikes running foibles etc with some really usefull hints and tips via the good folk on here etc.

David

I really like the look of that, but I can be sure I'd never get used to that gearchange :blast

I used to have a Tiger 100 Triton. The gear shift was so different I soon got used to it. I ran mine with the primary chain dry as it would leak all the oil out anyway. The clutch was fine wet or dry. One day I planned to fit a belt primary but it never got done and the bike was sold. My only regret is not keeping the plate - 585 DTO.

thanks..

it gets wierder the deeper you get into it.. .00 clearance at the wrong end of the pushrods.. with the engine HOT:blast

found a really usefull set of links on utube for servicing the enfield..

here is one of many by the same guy..
http://youtu.be/qWczauM-nFs

David

if you think about it...0.01 HOT is the correct clearance for ALL poppet valve engines :thumb2

if you think about it...0.01 HOT is the correct clearance for ALL poppet valve engines :thumb2

yes!

but just about every manual gives you a clearance "cold" at the valves...

pretty bloody handy when you have just rebuilt a motor and you want to get the clearances something like before you try starting the thing for the first time

hm

Have read this with interest, every year we (MissB And I) look at these charming little bikes at the Bikeshow have a sit on them and take pics of each other and wonder what they'd be like to own.

I do miss not having a 2nd bike to pottle about on.........

hmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom