Wapping's Wanders 2013 - Number 1 - Easter

Wapping

Reaction score
Subject to hotel booking, plague, the state of the nation and anything else, I propose and have already booked:

OUT: Thursday 28 March - Departure time 18:50

BACK: Monday 01 April - Departure time 18:36

£46

=====

Plan:

(1) For a change, go over the evening (Thursday) before and stay overnight in St Omer, probably in the Ibis which is (if nothing else) central. This saves us one hour, plus the crossing time. Probably grab something to eat in the town or take a sandwich and find a beer.

(2) Skip the excuse for a breakfast that Ibis offer, to make an earlyish start between 08:00 and 08:30.... Hopefully closer to eight.

Stop for breakfast or whatever, somewhere en-route.

(3) The plan will be to take some scenic and probably indirect (hence the earlyish start) roads to the northern end of the Ardennes, hopefully to somewhere like Vianden in Luxembourg.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=vi...=Vianden,+Diekirch,+Luxembourg&gl=uk&t=m&z=12

Staying in, I hope, a Logis type hotel.

Something like one of these, probably:

http://www.logishotels.com/hotel/luxembourg/ardennes/ardennes/hotel-vianden.html

(4) Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in Vianden, or wherever. This will give us two full days in the northern Ardenne area. There are plenty of good roads to ride and, of course, all the usual Battle of the Bulge sites.

(5) Monday, back to home.

=====

Suitable for: Anyone who can ride a bike. I will prepare suitable Garmin routes and we can use the marker drop-off system.

Numbers: Dictated more by the availability of hotel space than anything else. Let's say six to eight bikes, pillions welcome, subject to me being able to book some rooms. It is the easter weekend, so I will need to get on the case before too long.

I think I will start by trying to reserve: Two doubles, two singles and two twins (that's 10 bods and as far as my fingers allow me to count) and then see how we get on.

If Wanderers could indicate if they are happy to share, please do so. It often makes booking easier.

Richard

I may be interested in this, is it a road ride or some off road as well?:thumb

Wapping

Could you stick me down as a possible

Happy to share with anyone who doesn't snore, sleep walk or gets so pi**ed they forget which bed they are suppose to be in :blast (yer I know, rules out most tossers :augie)

Can I share a room with you Trixie ...? :kissy2

Hi Richard,

The alternative tosser crew are heading over there then so i am sure we can meet up for some ride outs and :beer:

LBL

Hello Richard,
A couple of weeks ago , we spent a day at Vianden, a truly lovely place with a very interesting historic castle.

dxtans

Excellent.

The above, pluse Mucky Helmet via a PM.

The jaunt has enough bods to make it a goer, so it will be on :thumb2

I will lock the thread up whilst I wait to hear from the hotels.

Cheers all :beerjug:

PS Dead right about Vianden, David.

Hello again.

Progress, of a sort.

I have confirmed provisionally to the Vianden hotel that I would like:

• One double room - dxtans

• Two single rooms - karlp and NLC

• One twin room - Snow White (so we have a spare place)

One room for me

All on bed and breakfast basis

So far we have five bikes, so could probably manage one more from UKGSer as I want to hold a couple of places spare for chums from another site.

=========

At some point I will set about finding us a hotel for the Thursday night, too.

Cheers,

Richard

Herr Wapping Mr Wanderer will share a room with me. Can we doubbble it?

Subject to hotel booking, plague, the state of the nation and anything else, I propose and have already booked:

OUT: Thursday 28 March - Departure time 18:50

BACK: Monday 01 April - Departure time 18:36

£46

Richard

Are these the train times ( so that I book the correct mode of transport)

thanks

karl

Back
Top Bottom