Wapping's Wanders 2013 - 20/21 April - Beginners only jaunt across the water

This always used to stress me out as I was more concerned about delaying other people. But hey ho, they insist I pay so I take my time, gloves off, find money, etc etc. I do always have a small bag attached to the bars to keep loose change in and the ticket. Worse in the wet as it always take longer to get gloves on and off.

I have seen guys trying to rush and it always ends in tears as they drop their glove or the ticket falls to the ground.

To be fair I have never encountered other motorists trying to hurry me up :thumb2

OK, thanks for that - I guess that is the issue that used to concern me but as you say, if the authorities want to levy a charge, it will cause delays.

I improved the gloves on and off issue by using silk liner gloves from Snow & Rock - before that, I could spend 10 minutes trying to get the standard linings back into my gloves before I could put them back on. The silks are thin enough that for fuel stops I can remove just one outer glove and leave the silk in place - putting the outer back on is as easy as you could wish. The other bonus is I can easily wash the silks regularly (when I remember) so they don't get too skanky and the outers don't get too sweaty in the summer! Point to note though - don't mess with Velcro hook-link fastenings as it will tend to shred the silks :tears

Pulling over before & after the toll booths to deal with gloves & cash is normally what I do.
The area immediately after the booths usually has a rest area or car parking and also allows me and my buddies to re-group, have a fag, check route & change pages on maps etc

The area immediately after the booths usually has a rest area or car parking and also allows me and my buddies to re-group, have a fag, check route & change pages on maps etc

With a reasonable sized group, that performance can take up to half an hour.

And bods wonder where the day goes.... :augie

-----------------

Anyway, enough of this banter about how to pay at a payage barrier and silk underwear.

Use whatever method suits you best. I do.

Hello chaps, would this be suitable for me and the woman?

It'll be our first time abroad on the bike and I'd like her to have a good experience for the first time.

Cheers chaps

Hi Stuntman and the woman, I would hope that it suits you.

I guess that there have been six or more of these 'Beginners rides', with punters being polite enough to say that they have enjoyed them. Other participants have gone on to organise their own jaunts, which is exactly what I hoped for.

Including you, I definitely have enough bods to run the jaunt, so I will set about getting it all organised.

In the meantime, the list is full.

Mick-B

To answer your question.

When on my bike, I pay the Peage tolls using my Post Office credit card, which does not levy an additional handling charge for overseas transactions.

I use a Touratech tank bag, which has a handy detachable pouch to put the Peage ticket and credit card in. Providing there are no problems with the card reader (happens occasionally) I can be through the tolls very quickly, whilst others faff about. I aso have a very simple peg, to hold the ticket when the machine first spits it out. Again, all done to save time, the enemy of any decent length motorcycle journey.

For the car, I now have an automatic bleeper thing, linked to my bank account, meaning I can use the fully automated 'non-stop' lanes. I can use it on my bike too, except that I would have to hand it over at one of the manned booths or pay the rate for a car.

Hello chap, how do we go about sorting things out :) complete newbs to bike traveling here!

cheers bud, :rob

hotel

Hi Richard
I would like to know witch hotel or b&b are you staying at
and how to make the reservation
I don't want to sleep on the bike ;)
And if you have any route plan
:censor:
Thanks

I am sure Richard will be along to firm up.
But as on other ride-outs in the past:
The hotels are pre-booked on Richard's card, you pay for your own room when you leave. Where you will be staying will also be put up once Richard has confirmation of the rider list and he has confirmed with the said hotel.
Routes are given out a week or so before the ride-out.

Very well organised indeed !

dxtans

:Motomartin Thank for info
This is my first trip I'm still green Tosser
:cool:

Yo bro's....

I haven't forgotten about you all.

Found myself a new job, settled in and can now get on with life.

I'll do a headcount tomorrow.

I'll then find us a hotel, routes etc. etc. etc.

Richard

satnav

Hi all
Do I need the GPS for this trip ?
I'm using tom-tom on my iPhone but is not very good :blast

advise welcome

Many thanks Luke

Luke, you'll be able to do it without a GPS, I promise.

We will use the marker 'Drop off' system, which keeps everyone together, even if we get spread over a mile or more, as we might well be.

Don't worry that you don't know how it works. It's really easy and I'll run through it for everyone. The great thing is that:

1. It keeps the whole crocodile chain together and turning over. Only the leader and the tail ender maintain station, all the other members move up and down.

2. It stops the riders at the rear having to play catch up with the front. It's a fact that speed increases as you move further from the front, as hindmost riders will have to accelerate to keep the fellows ahead of them in sight. Throw in some traffic lights, a slow roundabout or two or if several overtakes have to be delayed and the gap between ALL the riders increases.... Meaning that those catching up have to go faster and faster. I would estimate that if the rider at the front is riding at a very steady sixty miles an hour, the fellow at the back will be doing over 80 just to catch up.

Here's a reasonable guide to it:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311422

Loads about it here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...=on.2,or.&fp=2d3e603e65d1a317&biw=768&bih=900

When leading and participating in rides I find that within an hour or two everyone settles down, gets used to the riders (and riding styles) of the bods around them and things trundle along really well. By the end of day two or three it's really hopping along.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom