1100/1150 Oil Sight Glass,Safety Brace

Vern

Toy maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've heard all kinds of tales about sight glasses popping out,and causing all kinds of problems,but until last Sunday,never had first hand experience of it.

I just happened to check my oil in the morning,and wiped the glass with my thumb to see the oil level.All ok as usual.

Got to my workshop,put the bike on the lift to do something, and when I walked past the bike,I thought the sight glass didn't look right.I got a cloth to clean it off,and as soon as I touched it,it fell out onto the bench,closely followed by the oil behind it.

Now I know for a fact that it was fine 22 miles earlier,and I had just got off the motorway,and if anything was going to spoil your day,I'm pretty sure this would be quite near the top of the list,so I thought I'd do something about it,and came up with this.

All stainless steel and welded,so it's a fit and forget job.

I have made 12 of them,and 4 have gone already, so if you want one,let me know by PM on here,as I'm not sure when I'll get time to make some more,as they take an age to make.

They cost £44.50 each +£3.50 p+p.

Pictures to follow,but I thought I'd get this up now as I'm quite a busy bunny at the moment.

Cheers all:beerjug:

ogretainer1.jpg

ogretainer2.jpg

ogretainer3.jpg

Ooooh! A new farkle! Yes please! Stick me down for one. Where do I send the DVD case stuffed with cash?

P.S. seriously - I'd like one of those.

It's not a feckin Farkle it serves a purpose:thumb2

If it's pretty and made of high grade ally or stainless, it's a farkle.

That sir, is a farkle, even if it does serve a useful function :thumb2

I fully agree it is most definitely a farkle, and a nice one at that! :JB

Mine was last Sunday,fist time in 300k miles,but I've heard of them doing it much earlier than that.
It's only got to do it once and spoil your day.

I've seen them and they look the business:thumb

I concur, having visited the salubrious Project VND headquarters and manufacturing facility at the weekend, and seen said item in the metal. :thumb

I'd asked Vern to turn his skills towards my latest project (another Whitehawk 175) and try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. He took a very battered and mangled WES centre box, and fashioned new ends for it so that the gases go through rather than out the sides! Then he welded new footrest hangers onto the frame so that I can put modern pegs on. Hopefully I can get it running how I want it in the next few weeks, so I'll put some pictures up.
Mark

PS. Don't believe all the talk about Vern being a grumpy fecker, he's a pussy cat really. :D

Ok people,I have a confession to make....

Did you know,that the 1150 and 1100 crankcases are different,because I feckin didn't:blast

I'll be making some for the 1150 at the weekend,and I have already contacted the people concerned so far,so just keep an eye on here,and I'll post when they are done.

Many thanks, and Doh! again

If it's shiny and serves NO purpose, then it's BLING.

Incidentally, I thought those old dinosaur 1100/1150s were indestructible and the front engine covers didn't corrode???
At least that's what all you 11xx owners claim :augie:augie

Incidentally, I thought those old dinosaur 1100/1150s were indestructible and the front engine covers didn't corrode???
At least that's what all you 11xx owners claim :augie:augie
Oh they do corrode. The difference is that 1100/1150 ones corrode from the outside not the inside. :p

On the subject of this guard, wouldn't it be just as well to replace an aging sight-glass routinely, say at 100,000 miles? :nenau

On the subject of this guard, wouldn't it be just as well to replace an aging sight-glass routinely, say at 100,000 miles? :nenau

No.

That's 'if it's not broken, fix it until it is' logic.

The only reason to replace it should be if it goes milky or if it comes loose......otherwise, I seriously reckon removing it and replacing it just increases the likelihood of it going 'popsplashohfuckmeleg' with the new one in. :aidan

One of these farkles that isn't really a farkle, honest, seems like a damn good idea to me :thumb2

.... The only reason to replace it should be if it goes milky or if it comes loose......
If it goes milky, change the oil.... if it comes loose at 80mph, change your pants :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom