FRONT DISCS LOOSE/RATTLING

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There seems to be lots of 'loose' :augie threads about front disc rattle/wheel wear so i thought i'd put this together.

My front discs on my 113,000 ml R1100GS were rattling like a shithouse door in the wind. The only way to stop it was applying the front brake. There was about 3-5mm play up and down with the wheel off, face down. The bolts were tight and the wave washers were as slack as Dale Winton's arsehole on a good day.....

On inspection the problem was neither the discs, bobbins, washers, top hats or whatever you want to call them, the discs had worn away the mounting boss on the wheel...:eek:

DSC01345.jpg

It has been suggested on here that if you take a bastard file to the boss on the wheel, you can successfully 'file' away the boss to meet the worn section. I would suggest this is a fix ONLY if you are handy with a file, DrFarkoff made a comment which made me laugh, and scared the shit out of me as well..

"I mean would ya really let some of this lot near their bikes with a rough bastard file??

For some reason the image of the chair with one leg shorter than the other"

If you get the 'filing down' bit wrong, the lever will feel, when braking, like you have severely warped discs, so, you will then go and buy new discs at 70 odd quid each, fit them up and guess what? It'll be exactly the fucking same cos its your wheels that are now gefurked!!!!

So, if you have rattling discs, do this first.

1. Remove the front wheel.
2. Remove the discs. If the wheel look's like mine in the photo above, you need to do the 'Washer Mod'

3. Buy 10 of these, 67p each plus VAT from memory.

DSC01454.jpg

DO NOT fuck about trying to source cheaper alternatives. I bought some from Screwfix, 8mmx25x1.5. Too wide, too thick. The BMW ones are 8mmx20x1 stainless, perfect. They are made for the job as BMW fitted them to the Rocksters to prevent this problem from happening. Here's one from Screwfix up against a BMW one...

DSC01456.jpg

4. Thoroughly clean the wheel and discs, then re-mount the discs with the washers UNDER the disc. Might be a good time to wire brush the loose paint from the wheel and touch up the paint, I am having mine powder coated black so didn't bother...

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

You can see from this picture that the washer is almost the same size as the wheel boss was...

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

This gives the disc something solid to sit on and the top hat washer something substantial to tighten on.

DSC01463.jpg

5. Tighten to 30nm using the correct Loctite (Loctite 246 i think). As you can see, with the bolt tightened the wave washer still does it's thing.

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

All you have done is moved the disc 1mm further out, the calliper will not foul, all it will mean is as your pads wear one side pistons will come out 1mm further than the other side...:nenau:nenau

6. Replace wheel.

7. Sit in a chair and have a beer, smugly grinning every so often thinking about all the money you have saved....

I used Wonder Wheels to clean the wheel. It was absolutely 'Minging' when i got the bike

DSC01323.jpg

And now looks lovely(er)....

DSC01451.jpg

Nice Post Smudger thanks for teh mention :aidan

Hopefully One of the Mods will move this to the Font as the salt and schit off the road is gonna attack the exposed alloy and exacerbate these problems more over the next few months

May I make a suggestion in addition to the above

Brush on with a small artist brush aluminium paint or hammerite silver over the exposed stuff that will help prevent the salt attacking it more

Nice Post Smudger thanks for teh mention :aidan

Hopefully One of the Mods will move this to the Font as the salt and schit off the road is gonna attack the exposed alloy and exacerbate these problems more over the next few months

May I make a suggestion in addition to the above

Brush on with a small artist brush aluminium paint or hammerite silver over the exposed stuff that will help prevent the salt attacking it more

Good shout!

Only reason I didnt do mine is I am going to have the wheels powder coated. I saw one a while ago and it looked superb.

I am going to mask the spokes, i think they will look better shiny!!!!

:aidan

I'll add my thanks Smudger.
Not that I think my discs are rattling, but as a hearing aid wearer I'd probably not notice anyway. I'll check tomorrow with the bike on the stand to be sure.

Just off to order some of that Wonder Wheels stuff, I saw the state of your wheels on your post when you got the bike. They look great now.

Millard

Hi Millard,

You can get Wonder Wheels from Halfords mate, it's acid mind so be careful when splashing it about.....

If my wheels were ok I'd still fit the washers as a precaution perhaps....

I am starting to think about Morocco next year mate, September ish?

Smudger. Good post. Good timing for me :)

I am wondering if it is actually worth fitting those stainless BMW washers to mine (which are thankfully perfect by the way, but as a preventative measure).

Am about to update my recent post with what i found today when i took the discs off...

Remember a wee dab of aluminium paint or silver paint on the exposed alloy

Smudger. Good post. Good timing for me :)

I am wondering if it is actually worth fitting those stainless BMW washers to mine (which are thankfully perfect by the way, but as a preventative measure).

Am about to update my recent post with what i found today when i took the discs off...

Great how-to! As soon as temperatures allow my hands to work in the garage for a while I'm going to have a look at this, since one of my brake discs is wibbly wobbly as hell...

Another easy way to stop rattling discs is to put small rubber o-rings on over the studs and this still allows the disc to float.
If the hole in the disc is too big use a very small o ring and stretch it over the stud and this will fit into the hole and take up the slack.
If the disc appears to be to thin , use a bigger o ring than the hole and this will fill the gap between the disc and stud.

Buy 10 of these, 67p each plus VAT from memory.
DO NOT fuck about trying to source cheaper alternatives. I bought some from Screwfix, 8mmx25x1.5. Too wide, too thick. The BMW ones are 8mmx20x1 stainless, perfect. They are made for the job as BMW fitted them to the Rocksters to prevent this problem from happening. Here's one from Screwfix up against a BMW one...

Does anyone have a link for these washers?

Hmm according to the site you only need ones on the opposite from the abs ring..what if you need ones on the same side as the abs ring as well ? would that affect the abs from working properly ?

The abs ring works the same way as the washers and prevent the disc from damaging the mounting posts because it fits between disc and wheel.

Just did this job with standard M8 washers, and it worked great.
Bolts didn't have Loctite on them to begin with, so left things that way. I'll keep an eye on them.

My right rattles, but not my left - is this cos the ABS ring prevents the left rattling?

My right rattles, but not my left - is this cos the ABS ring prevents the left rattling?

Depends on the year of bike... Later bikes use the same mounts for the abs ring and brake disc, earlier bikes used separate disc and abs ring mounts on the front wheel

You can see from this picture that the washer is almost the same size as the wheel boss was...

DSC01461.jpg

Thanks, very useful. Did you need to use longer bolts?
I'm awaiting delivery of new bobbins but I suspect they won't cure my rattle. The folly of buying a secondhand disc.

Back
Top Bottom