Soft luggage - best option

Big Bird

Reaction score
I recently acquired this little fella, I'm planning a trip down to Portugal soon with a lot of off road miles, I would much rather use soft luggage but there's not much space between the luggage rack and the pipes.

Has anyone already overcome this problem, if so what did you use.

( I'm going for 2 weeks and taking camping kit)

Thanks

Attachments

• tenere.jpg
    tenere.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 416
Never used on what you have, but I used to have the Ventura system on previous bikes. Basically it's a rack which you can hang a glorified rucksack on. It can hang so it sits on the rack or you can put it so it sits on the seat freeing up the rack for a roll bag.
The rack is universal whith different mounts for different bikes.

Have a R1100S (underseat exhausts). Bought because I wanted something very narrow going into London (from Kent). Bought a Ventura rack and bag. Bag sits on the pillion seat (attached to frame), little rack sits out the back.

Have used it to deliver training, even when that has been 4 days in two different cities.

The big bag carries 2 laptops, a Projector, cables, speakers, 24 sets of course materials, and all manner of odds and sods. Then I strap a Skyroll Bag and Otleib drybag onto the rack which hold 2 suits/shirts/ties/shoes/casual kit plus Projector screen, 15metre 4 point extension reel, magic whiteboard, a couple of jumpers a washbag and some extra civvies.

Just occassionally I use the GS, Al Jesse (110Litre) panniers, 50 litre topbox, Best thingy rack. And it's no easier to carry the kit.

Ventura isn't cheap, but if you are riding solo, it is unbeatable. (If you have a pillion it is much less versatile IMHO as you are limited to the bag overhanging the rear as opposed to sat on the pillion seat)..

I had a 900 Hornet with high level exhausts. Used Kriega luggage which is flexible with what you need day to day. Strap main bag to back seat or rack and attach other bags to that as required. 4 easy straps to remove the lot! :thumbup::thumbdown:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the suggestions, I've been made aware of some kind of exhaust strap with a heat shield attached which I'd like to take a look at, does anyone know about this product?

The standard exhaust has a cover which runs pretty cool I've got some oxford humpback panniers which I just throw over the exhausts and so far have had no issues with melting or such like!

used a set of orthielb (spell)and a 100ltr roll sack all my camping gear.
totaly waterproof but i had standard pipes on.

Kriega and Giant loop :thumb2

Just do a search for Kriega here and see how fast it gets snapped up.....that'll show you how good it is :thumb2

A Kriega US20 with a couple of US10s on the side and maybe a US5 on a tank bra and you're good to go.

The Giant Loop stuff is also extremely well designed and well made :thumb2

I had a ducati 996, with similar limited space and high level (under seat) exhaust pipes, which were in a prime position to melt my existing throw over saddle bags.

BOught Ventura kit and it is fantastic - simple frame, interchangeable and easily removable options and great bags….never looked back till I got a GS and alu panniers (which are also great - but different)

I like the look of the giant loop but worry about the state my Dinner suit would be in after packing!!!!

thats because you are obviously not an adventure traveller, everyone knows you dont pack a dinner suit, you wear it under your one piece areostich suit.

Soft luggage

Hi
Stahlkoffer is now making soft luggage. If you are free come and see their stuff on display at the Excel Bike Show this weekend. Or else give them a call on 07710 149 726. I am sure we can help.
Regards
Bernie

Back
Top Bottom