Altberg Boots

Also worth trying your local Army surplus place......the other boots I've tried on with success have been German Paratrooper boots, used, but available in about 4 different configurations per size IYSWIM

Go through their racks, put'em on, stomp about the shop for half an hour and you'll find something that works for you :thumb2

That's what I mostly use to ride in. £20ish per pair makes them an absolute bargain. Just got to make sure they haven't split between the upper and sole on the ball of the foot (where the boot flexes/bends) when you're walking.

German ones are better than British ones IMHO..

just been looking at the Altberg website - I bought a pair of Clubman Classic (with buckles) boots recently off ebay.

Interesting to note that they dont recommend shoe polish on them (I've done mine twice already - old army habits :augie)

Just leder-Gris :nenau

just been looking at the Altberg website - I bought a pair of Clubman Classic (with buckles) boots recently off ebay.

Interesting to note that they dont recommend shoe polish on them (I've done mine twice already - old army habits :augie)

Just leder-Gris :nenau

Yup, JUST Leder Gris...Works perfectly on their leather.

They DO know what they are talking about. Don’t complicate life, use what they tell you to use......:)

Anyone looking at a pair of the Bahn Riders ?

I started lusting after a pair as the Scottish Motorcycle Show (last April)
But I has already had a pair of Sidi Adventure boots for a while, by then.

And I probably got another 6months to a year before they need to be resoled :augie

(old clubman & bandog getting occasional bike use but
mainly used for gardening, walking & working on the bike )

My nine year old Clubman classics seem to have sprung a leak today:tears I'll be optimistic and give them a polish with the ledergris. On the positive side, these boots probably covered 100,000 miles of biking, and a bit of walking.

The only gripe I've had with these is that the velcro fastening is on the outside of the boots, would be easier to do up if they were on the inside.

Has anyone changed from the Clubman to another style of Altberg and found something they like more, or less?

My concern is about getting a shorter length boot and getting problems with water ingress up the shin, where the waterproof trousers don't have such a big overlap on the shorter length boot.

I don't see me going to another make though:thumb2

Has anyone changed from the Clubman to another style of Altberg and found something they like more, or less?
My first Altbergs were Clubman Classics (still got them, of course). I like them but when I got a pair of Clubman Roadsters they very quickly became the preferred boot. They're more comfortable to wear and easier to get on, do up and keep done up.

My concern is about getting a shorter length boot and getting problems with water ingress up the shin, where the waterproof trousers don't have such a big overlap on the shorter length boot.
The Roadsters are long enough for this not to be a problem - or at least for me not to have experienced it. I did have water go in them from the top once but I had Hood jeans on and tucked into the boots and was in an all-afternoon deluge of biblical proportions in Austria. The jeans just wicked the water in and no boot could have resisted the water. I suspect something shorter like Hoggs might well let water in regularly as they are really rather short.

When I finally have to replace my Clubman Roadsters, I will almost certainly get the same. I will go into their shop first though and try on everything I can. Mind you, I only get to Nth Yorks (and so can visit Richmond) once a year...

Cheers

m

Should anyone ...

... want to try a pair I might just be able to assist; they are P3 Aqua boots, UK size 10 in Wide fitting and therefore are proper waterproof safety boots with steel toes and shanks. Brand new and in the box.

Please don't blag these unless you are going to use them, I'd be very annoyed to find they'd been sold on. Suitable charitable donation to be negotiated otherwise F.O.C ;)

Enquiries by PM please.

The all weather Hoggs arrived yesterday.

After speaking to Alt-Berg on the phone I ordered a pair of size 9's which is my normal size.

Superb quality but left boot is a wee bit on the tight side (my left foot being slightly bigger). Went for a 3 mile walk in them today to see how I got on with them, no problems.

I guess they will loosen up a little with use and 'more miles' on them :thumb2

Great boots, mine have proven to be totally waterproof in some pretty nasty conditions either walking or riding.:thumb2

Now done about 7 miles and still tight.... looks like I need a 9.5 :blast

Anyone looking for a pair of 3 day old Alt Berg Hogg all weather dual purpose boots in a size 9 let me know.... jump the 12 week waiting list :thumb

Bit of advice do not use the Aqua boots on a bike, the steel toe cap and shank means that cold weather your feet will freeze, we stopped using them at work for that very reason and went back to the Field and Fell.

Another :thumb2 for the Hoggs. I had the basic ones that aren't supposed to be waterproof but I've splashed about in streams in them and ridden in torrential rain and never got my feet wet. They're always super comfy to walk around in too.

Same for me Hogg lite,as breathable for summer is what I prefer.
In last years down poor even though stated as not waterproof they never leaked.
Just use the leder Gris it's superb stuff.
:thumb

Bought a pair of Clubman Roadsters for a trip to Italy in 1995; the zip broke last year and Altberg replaced it as part of their refurb service, plus new soles and velcro - had to break them in again!

I can only offer huge respect for that amount of quality and service..

Back
Top Bottom