Feeding the GS Super Unleaded

The twin cam handbook alway said to use 98 for full engine power. 95 can be used but with a reduction in power. Ño idea if the LC bikes are the same?

interesting they don't all say that the 450 480 and 470 09/2009 and 08/2011 does

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/manuals/owners-handbook.html

Recommended fuel grade Premium plus unleaded
98 ROZ/RON
91 AKI
alternative fuel grade Premium unleaded (slight power- and
consumption-related restrictions)
95 ROZ/RON
89 AKI
with regular unleaded (RON 91) OE Regular unleaded (power- and consumption-related
restrictions)
91 ROZ/RON
87 AKI

Mines a 2010. Model code 0450.
There is a noticeable difference in engine performance (on mine) when running higher octanes than 95.

maybe that's why all the ones I've ridden seem slow.... owners running the wrong fuel?

Unless I'm mad... all the LC manuals I checked say =95 and nothing else, my old hex head is also 95 and nothing else (unless you want to go backwards and are stuck somewhere out in the sticks and nothing else available).

Interesting find coz I was confident the TC ran 95 too, but checking three manuals today (as I suggest in the post two above) I agree with you - they all seem to say 98. So the change at Esso recently and the fact shell already did 99 means little excuse to run the wrong stuff and owners should get a marked lift in go if anyone's been running them on ordinary stuff.

I still don't know how but my K1300 swapped maps straightaway after filling with a tank full of 99.... as I drove off the forecourt it was a different bike with 10 to 15% more go everywhere and far smoother. It was almost as if it detected the better fuel just turning on the key. It started better, had a totally different sound, idled differently, and then ran totally differently as soon as I pulled off the forecourt

Certainly for diesel, and maybe so for petrol,

Aftermarket additives are cheaper than paying for V max or similar at the pump

I used to run a bog standard soot burner with boggo supermarket diesel & two shots of Miller cetane booster,

was cheaper than putting vmax diesel ( or whatever they call it) in the tank

Certainly for diesel, and maybe so for petrol,
I used to run a bog standard soot burner with boggo supermarket diesel & two shots of Miller cetane booster,

I read about "millers" on a ford forum.... they mentioned as if everyone in the world knew what it was... (I'd never heard of it), got a mate to get some and he's shocked how much better his tractor engine'd car runs on the stuff

I has some shell discount tokens so bought the posh tractor fuel for my dads car when it needed filling up.... even my mum (who doesn't drive) could notice how much better it felt and sounded.... huge change

you are confusing matters by assigning definitions that are wrong - assuming you are referring to the UK, super unleaded has to be at least 97 RON. Fuel sold as premium unleaded is bog standard unleaded at 95 RON. Some branded premium fuels such as Tesco Momentum claim 99 RON. Shell V Power claims to be 4% superior fuel but does not claim a particular RON. It has dynaflex whatever the fuck that might be. Note, these premium fuels do not claim to be super unleaded as I guess they do not want to be associated with the 97 RON super stuff sold by Sainsbury's.

Anyway, keep buying the posh petrol. It's not likely to be any better for the GS but it will make you feel better and redistribute more of your money to HMRC.

Well Shell certainly think their premium petrol is 99 RON - New Shell V-Power unleaded is a 99RON octane fuel. By comparison, regular Shell unleaded is 95RON. New Shell ... 12 Shell V-Power unleaded with 99 RON

Back
Top Bottom