Heads up for Garmin users - free Speed & Camera plug-in

ralphy

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't a re-post but:
Garmin offer a Speed and Safety Camera plug-in for (most) of their vehicle Sat Navs.

Normally these are £16.99 per annum, however there is a free 30-day trial available. It is a bit 'buried' in their website, but hopefully this link will take you direct to the 'Order page' and if you click on the arrow to the right of "Version: Download £16.99" the free trial option appears.
Yer tiz!

Blurb here:
Provides alerts for most fixed, average speed, mobile, variable, temporary/roadwork, red light and red light speed cameras.
Delivers directional alerts relevant to your traveled route using a unique corridor system of camera validation.
Displays speed limit warnings and sounds speeding alerts on Compatible Devices
Ensures accuracy with each camera and zone being individually verified and mapped to confirm average speed, camera type, direction and distance covered.
Contains content from official agencies, GPS digital camera, Wi-Fi®, professional surveys and verified user feedback.

(This is for the UK & Ireland, but other countries are available - and most of them have the free trial available).

R

Only problem is that you can't turn off 'safety' or 'mobile' cameras and leave on the fixed ones. What this means is that the 'mobile safety camera' warning will ping at you for 60 miles at a time, mine does. It's why I turned off all camera warnings on my zumo as otherwise it drives me batshit with the irritating noises.

Might use the trial ones, if still available when we go over to France in September, as they should be legal warnings of danger areas :)

Pocket GPS world etc ones still only show locations which AFAIK is not the legal option.

Trial Safety Cameras version lost.

Ok,
I know the term safety camera is a bit tongue in cheek, but anyway.
I got a Nav IV Nov 2012, and saw the warnings for cameras. Then was off in the USA over the winter. I thought I had lost the safety cameras, but am now wondering if all I had when I bought the Nav IV was demo version, that vanished itself somewhere in Texas!
Has anyone had a similar experience.
Also, I guess if I have had a demo one, if I want it again, I will need to buy.
And, no guarantee that I am not just having finger trouble, and they are hiding in the Nav IV.

William.

I have used a service called www.scdb.info for the past 7 years to maintain the European speed camera database in my Garmin navigators.

I'm very satisfied with this database. It costs €10 a year to subscribe, but once you have paid that €10, you can download updated databases as often as you wish (daily, if you want). You can also install the databases on an unlimited number of devices.

I compared the Garmin speed camera coverage to the SCDB coverage last summer, and found that the SDCB coverage is more thorough. A few weeks ago, I was riding through Italy, and got a speed camera warning... I looked around, and saw the speed camera, the workers were not yet even finished installing the darn thing, they were still finishing the cement at the base. I think that the updates are so quick because it is a user-supported project - if you report a new camera, or an old one that has been decommissioned, you get your next year's renewal free of charge.

The SCDB database only includes fixed cameras (including traffic light cameras, average speed cameras, etc.). They don't include mobile cameras in their database.

Michael

I have used a service called www.scdb.info for the past 7 years to maintain the European speed camera database in my Garmin navigators.

I'm very satisfied with this database. It costs €10 a year to subscribe, but once you have paid that €10, you can download updated databases as often as you wish (daily, if you want). You can also install the databases on an unlimited number of devices.

I compared the Garmin speed camera coverage to the SCDB coverage last summer, and found that the SDCB coverage is more thorough. A few weeks ago, I was riding through Italy, and got a speed camera warning... I looked around, and saw the speed camera, the workers were not yet even finished installing the darn thing, they were still finishing the cement at the base. I think that the updates are so quick because it is a user-supported project - if you report a new camera, or an old one that has been decommissioned, you get your next year's renewal free of charge.

The SCDB database only includes fixed cameras (including traffic light cameras, average speed cameras, etc.). They don't include mobile cameras in their database.

Michael

Are you still using scdb and if so is it still a reliable service?

I have it on mine instead of the Garmin offering as the mobile warnings are just a waste of time.

I have it on mine instead of the Garmin offering as the mobile warnings are just a waste of time.

Have had the garmin cyclops, changed satnav, wondering whether to continue to pay garmin 20 or scdb a tenner for possibly a better service.

Well if you consider your getting virtually the same notifications and that you don't really need a subscription every year with the later service as it still works........

Ive just renewed my Garmin Camera subscription

it's now £25 for a year

Back
Top Bottom