The British are coming.

14 plate under 7000 miles

never again,to me triumph have shit it with me,as the title says,14 plate under 7000 miles,mine needs new cases and a new crank,plus more,they would not give me a new engine,but a rebuild from my bham triumph dealer.and now i miss my holidays because of it .utter shit.:augie

never again,to me triumph have shit it with me,as the title says,14 plate under 7000 miles,mine needs new cases and a new crank,plus more,they would not give me a new engine,but a rebuild from my bham triumph dealer.and now i miss my holidays because of it .utter shit.:augie

British bikes, great eh?

:augie

xc1200

I've run 3 of them for the last 20 years (one for 19 years, one for 17 years and one for 2 years) and yes, I'd say they are great. No idea what tailscookie managed to do to his though...

under 7000 miles,balance shaft bolt ?? worked loose,jammed the engine,luckily the bike was just turned off.:confused:

i take it i must have the first one in the uk then ??????

Knowing a lot of people with Explorers and having been a regular visitor to tiger-explorer.com over the last 2 1/2 years (with around 2,350 posts), I can't remember hearing of another instance of this. I know it's little consolation to you, but yours might be unique....

bearing went on my harley, a proforma invoice from a hire company for bike hire to cover my holiday, soon persuaded harley to lend me a bike for the duration of my engine rebuild, and I got to take it over the water, did 2000+ miles in just over a week, in the end kept the bike for about 2 months.

I really wanted an Explorer

Test rode two had to have 1 bought my first a 9 month old 4000 mile 13 plate dec 14. Class leading power delivery great two up, then the recalls started dealer visit after dealer vist, had a good couple of weeks touring Scotland but always doubted the bikes reliability, sold it once we got home.
Thinking I had been unlucky with the first Exp I bought a second one 3 months later a late 13 with 7k on the clock all recalls done, 10 days after I bought it I was back at the dealers for further warranty work, had the bike back 2 weeks and yet another recall problem. 6 weeks later pxed this one against a new S10.
Sorry Triumph if you build your bikes from parts sourced in China they will let you down.

Test rode two had to have 1 bought my first a 9 month old 4000 mile 13 plate dec 14. Class leading power delivery great two up, then the recalls started dealer visit after dealer vist, had a good couple of weeks touring Scotland but always doubted the bikes reliability, sold it once we got home.
Thinking I had been unlucky with the first Exp I bought a second one 3 months later a late 13 with 7k on the clock all recalls done, 10 days after I bought it I was back at the dealers for further warranty work, had the bike back 2 weeks and yet another recall problem. 6 weeks later pxed this one against a new S10.
Sorry Triumph if you build your bikes from parts sourced in China they will let you down.

With the original bike, as a 13 plate, you should have had two recalls; one to change the ECU for a modified one to make fuel shut off a little less sensitive and one to replace the bolt in the side stand for something more robust after a load of people decided it was a good idea to climb onto the bike using the foot peg while it was still on the side stand (!) and some side stands bolts were known to fail. Are these the recalls that lost you confidence in the bike, or were there more? What was the additional recall on the 2nd bike?

Haven't found any Chinese components yet. Which Chinese components have you identified that contributed to your failures?

I bought a brand new Daytona in 2000, not a bad bike (I like something different), but not a patch on the competition at the time, Blades, R1's etc. So very overpriced (£10k!!!) I have to say. And when the rear hub seized (common problem) due to not being lubed at the factory Triumph didn't want to know and I had to pay for it. Shit service and unfortunately, i'll never buy another for that reason. Oh, and why do they have to copy the GS? Can't they come up with their own design ffs?

Oh, and why do they have to copy the GS? Can't they come up with their own design ffs?

May I assume that you are unaware that Triumph were building large capacity dirt bikes for decades before BMW jacked up the suspension on the ubiquitous air cooled flat twins, called it the GS and then (apparently) claimed to invent the class?

May I assume that you are unaware that Triumph were building large capacity dirt bikes for decades before BMW jacked up the suspension on the ubiquitous air cooled flat twins, called it the GS and then (apparently) claimed to invent the class?

Very true but they never entered let alone won the Paris-Dakar on any of them though did they? :augie

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Triumph fan and have rarely been without one or more in my garage since I passed my test in 1977, but the dealer network is shit and tends to be run my non motorcyclists who have little or no understanding of the product they sell or the mind set of their average customer

The build quality of some of the bikes is questionable and they have ditched that solidity and lustre they came with as standard in the 1990's in favour of cheap plastics and dodgy plating

The Warranty Dept at the factory is a joke. Back in the early days they couldn't have been more helpful. In the latter years they've gone from helpful to obstructive and have lost good customers as a consequence of their actions

The 3 cylinder engine that was uniquely Triumph has been copied and some say improved upon by both Yamaha and MV Augusta.

The 1050 Speed Triple is itself now 10 years old with no sign of a proper replacement to go head to head with the S1000R and V4 Tuono.

They have one sports tourer (the GT) which is a rehashed ST with a low exhaust and again it's a 10 year old design

How many 1200 Trophys have you seen on the road?

Tiger 800? My brain hurts just looking at the amount of variations of that particular model but probably one of the best bikes Triumph currently make

Street Triple? Probably one of their better selling bikes

Bonneville and all its variants? I don't know how they get away with making a bike so expensive that comes with such shit components fitted as standard :nenau

The Bonnie is around the same price as the Street Triple. Now go look at the components that hold those two bikes together then ask yourself why is the Bonneville the same price as the Street when it's held together with the quality of parts you would expect to find on a Chinese scooter?

I'm sad to say that there is not one bike in the current Triumph range that I would buy and I've owned in excess of 20 Hinckley bikes

I hate to say this but Triumph is slowly dying through lack of innovation :blast

Their company strap line is "Go Your Own Way" yet ever since they introduced this they have been copying nearly everything that BMW have done or are doing and I for one hope that Triumph do something pretty amazing in the bike dept soon

I like Triumph and agree that are playing catch up and copying other manufacturers the japs should not be getting the drop on Triumph in their home market really.
I have met the warranty guy from the factory and yes I had a bad experience in 2009 with a street triple with warranty issues, even the dealer said its a fight to get anything past the warranty guy. This changed a bit in the last couple of years (I thought the warranty guy had died or left the company which is what I asked him when I met him :D)
I think they (belatedly) realised they were loosing customers through rejecting warranty issues, I asked what had changed because they were recalling all Explorers for the engine fix and sorting paint chips / rust / centre stands all free and even on high mile bikes , he said Mr Bloor had said look after our customers ! Don't get me wrong I was in the dealers when a late sprint came in with a seized engine, when they stripped it there were signs the oil had been topped up with fresh post seize so the guy ran it with no oil then chucked a load in after it seized, even then the dealer was trying to get the factory to cover the rebuild.

The Bonnies are overpriced considering where they are built but this pays for R&D etc.

ps I am very happy with my Explorer but after reading this post I feel like selling :D :augie but I have had a super ten, don't want an unreliable super expensive KTM or Multifailure and as for BWM's ha so cheap Suzuki twin, revamped Versys ? not a lot left and nothing I see to match the all round abilities of the Explorer :nenau

With the original bike, as a 13 plate, you should have had two recalls; one to change the ECU for a modified one to make fuel shut off a little less sensitive and one to replace the bolt in the side stand for something more robust after a load of people decided it was a good idea to climb onto the bike using the foot peg while it was still on the side stand (!) and some side stands bolts were known to fail. Are these the recalls that lost you confidence in the bike, or were there more? What was the additional recall on the 2nd bike?

Haven't found any Chinese components yet. Which Chinese components have you identified that contributed to your failures?

I have read somewhere that Triumph are sourcing parts in China and Taiwan I could be wrong, I had signs of weak finish to fasteners and clamps, early signs of corrosion ingress on the engine casings, drive shaft casings and rear carrier on both bikes, poor quality finish (in my opinion) for a supposed flagship model costing over £11000,the first one had not been used through winter it was March 13 reg I bought it in Dec 13 it had been Pxed into the dealer late September this bike never saw salt and vey little rain.
I only speak from my own experience, I so wanted the Explorer to be the bike for us, I wanted to buy “British” had watched Triumph grow and grow over the previous decade but was not keen on the look and feel of the Tiger 955 and found the Tiger 1050 to small for us, when the Explorer was announced I knew this bike would be right for us.
You are correct on the 3 main recalls (including the head replacement) but I had an on going stalling problem so the bike went in three times for investigation work before the ECU recall to fix that problem, I owned my first one for 9 or 10 months it spent roughly 5 weeks at the dealer over 7 visits, that’s 7 times I had to arrange transport to and from the dealer (who are despite all of the problems I had excellent to deal with).
Some owners might see this as acceptable I do not, hence this bike was sold however I still wanted to own an Explorer so 3 months after selling the first I bought another with fingers crossed, it blew a fork seal in the first week then as soon as I got it back the dealer needed to have it back in for the side stand bolt mod, I only rode the second bike once more and that was to the Yamaha dealer for a price to part exchange.
Lots of guys report excellent service with high miles from their Explorers, its good they are happy with their bikes I was very disappointed with mine and sad that I cant be the owner of an Explorer because of these failures and subsequent loss of my faith in the bikes reliability and durability.

I have met the warranty guy from the factory and yes I had a bad experience in 2009 with a street triple with warranty issues, even the dealer said its a fight to get anything past the warranty guy. This changed a bit in the last couple of years (I thought the warranty guy had died or left the company which is what I asked him when I met him :D)

Beaten to death by an irate customer with a rusty exhaust silencer I heard :augie

Charles Smart was the twats name :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom