Even the old hands can fluff it

DrFarkoff

Grumpy Ole Git!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thankfully only sometimes :blast

A wee story of woe and eventually triumph :grin:

So My Friend Fergy has a K1200RS 130bhp shaft driven high speed touring missile

In the highlands last year his alternator light came on and there was a rattle and he managed to nurse it back down to a garage where he ended up on a recovery truck to home

This is where I come in, he calls and asks do I think I could sort this I say I am busy doing other stuff and it'll block the ramp for a time while the bits are on the way but I'll give it a bash when it quietens down

To get at the alternator on a K1200RS 1997 -2005 you need to take it to a Gazillion bits :shock:

So one of these
K1200RS%20Alpine-Orient%20Blue%20908.JPG

becomes

WP_001205.jpg

The rusty round bit is what you are looking to get at (bolt fell out already)

DSC05623.jpg

The offending item Which has left 9mm of thread in the auxiliary drive shaft

DSC05630.jpg

To get this far took 2 days! When they build them up there is not a "smidgeon" of grease to be seen or found anywhere on assembly, which is made worse when you find that some ARSE has already taken it apart before and decided that it NEEDS loctite where none is specified!

WP_001216.jpg

I will try and remember to take a pic of the swingarm pivot pins and their bushes, Lets just say It was for a moment or two it was touch and go that we were cutting the swingarm out!!
The in frame bush on the right side actually turned in the frame, it was so tight and had to be hammered out in the end and replaced with a good used one. The swingarm pins had to be treated to an old impact socket welded onto one side and successive runs of mig welding on the other side to get enough heat into them to get them out

When you get all the bits off that you need, including the nose fairing ( to undo the air intake scoop to take off the airbox)

This is what a BMW K series "Brick" engine looks like when you are in this far!

DSC05626.jpg

That's the crank up high Normally hidden by a cover (Pic below) the water pump oil pump and the output to the flywheel being provided by a main auxiliary shaft that you can see sort of lower centre
DSC05632.jpg

and this is the smaller pile of parts from the clutch gearbox area that you have
DSC05635.jpg

Not forgetting the wheel, Drive, braking system, swingarm, shock, gearbox, etc etc :blast

The shaft I am fixing drives off the crank and the starter works thru a one way clutch direct to the crank up at the top of the engine, all clean and ready to re assemble, Alternator goes top right Starter top left and the flywheel on the lower shaft with the new seal fitted

WP_001192.jpg

Once I realised that there was something very friggin tight inside and that it would have to be stripped again :yikes:

I hung my head and went and sat in a corner and opened a bottle of something refreshingly alcoholic and took a break and thought the process over ......

Yup I'd been careful VERY careful I'd checked part numbers I'd checked physical parts etc etc I'd cleaned everything so it was immaculately clean
WP_001165.jpg

WP_001167.jpg

Look up the thread you will see the flywheel in the parts picture looking very manky and the auxiliary case in behind my hand here
DSC05630.jpg

The upside is that It was me that built it so grease where grease was needed and ONLY the two drops of loctite (Medium) where required

The bike came apart as it should :cool:

So I get it stripped back down, wheel, Final drive, swingarm, shock, gearbox, out etc etc etc

And I am Dumbfounded what's in the old parts box is what is fitted! :confused:

So I check the online microfiche and find Part 9

Link to Real OEM online Microfiche

Hmm I can;t remember any part 9 ?? Could it have broken up ??

So My Mate Granty arrives and he's asking how I am getting on and quite frankly I am am pretty much at a loss where part 9 is as I had stored like for like in the same box and the new parts to be fitted in with them ??

So I was showing Granty the drive dog and how the bolt holds it on etc etc

Look at the pictures and Say what you see??? This is the old drive dog retrieved from the old parts box
DSC06687.jpg

Looks okay doesn't it?

Look Again
DSC06690.jpg

Anything look unusual? Strange??

Okay Well here it is You'll see it now!

DSC06691.jpg

W.T.F! :eek:

DSC06692.jpg

So ladles n Gentlespoons there you have it

Even us old hands can F*** up sometimes

Years of Experience isn't Everything! If In Doubt check the microfiche and see if there should be anything else in there!

I'm away to start building it up again!!!

So to round this one off

A day in the garage got the 2,226 nuts bolts screws and assorted gubbins and Doo-Hickeys back in where they should be !!!

(Okay there may not have been that many screws But Damn well felt like it !)

So to summarise before I Started the reason the bike had to become lots and lots of bits, was that the Green Highlighted bit in this pic (Shock removed so you can actually see it) had stopped working and was rattling
DSC06710.jpg

It had to be removed to get at this bit, in doing so, the wheel, hugger, Final Drive, Swingarm, gearbox, Nose fairing, Airbox, clutch, flywheel, Aux shaft housing had to come off and a quite a few other associated bits had to come off too Including the LH engine mount bolt slackened, RH engine mount bolt removed and the Radiators slipped off their mounts so they were not likely to be fractured by dropping the engine / gearbox
DSC05623.jpg

some of the bits that had to come off
DSC05635.jpg

Which left it like this
DSC05627.jpg

So we made things nice and clean and shiny

WP_001165.jpg

And we stuck it back together This is the alternator drive dog with a new bolt torqued up in it's new "good used alternator / starter clutch shaft"
DSC06694-1.jpg

The big black round this is the alternator back in place so now just the rest of the bits to go back and the frame to be lowered down again
WP_001202.jpg

and the reassembly continued

So the frame was down and the flywheel, Clutch etc etc all safely cosseted where it should be, The fresh oil went in the engine

WP_001205.jpg

The sweat broke and I kept the head down and all of a sudden

There Be a Motorcycle where the parts had been!
DSC06716.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

A test ride and a wash later

DSC06727.jpg

DSC06729.jpg

Reunited with Her Owner Does this man look happy????

DSC06730.jpg

Yeah... and that's why I do very little of my own bike maintenance!

If that's what can happen to you, what would've happened to someone like me?! :blast

If that's what can happen to you, what would've happened to someone like me?! :blast

Funny Enough That's what Fergy said :aidan

I heard a lady Jo Edwards on the radio tonight while heading home and she was talking about learning a brass instrument She could play Sax and Piano but had to start over to learn a new one

She said Life is about Learning Everyday you learn something and when you stop!... Well................????

So I just take it as a Learning curve, stored away for next use and hopefully Help some poor bugger not make my mistake However innocent it was

You are a God ,, we are but humble men . I know where I will get any problems sorted . Well done that man .

Excellent stuff Dr, I applaud your skill:clap

Cheers for that it wasn't so much skill as a big big dose of patience :D

The only time I had more parts off a bike to do a job was to reframe a K1200LT and that was just body parts wiring brackets etc etc rather than mechanical components In fact I don't think apart from undoing the telelever and shocks that I actually need any of the bigger tools from the toolbox

Jeez, what happened to Germanic design engineering.

On the K11 I recall you could do this through the upper frame rails.

If you shoehorn a 15 year old engine into a modern cast frame, something has to give :(

An interesting write-up, thank you.

Well done. :thumb

Did you know what you was letting yourself in for before you started. That must have cost more than what the bike is worth.

Be interesting to know what it would have cost to get done at a BMW dealer. I doubt that they would have taken it on.

Just stumbled across this again clearing out links Fergy still riding away at her

Smug Yup I knew what was needed, I'd replaced a leaking crank seal in the dealership when I was there I'd also re-framed a K1200LT

Since it was my fcuk up I carried the second strip and rebuild cost

In answer to your question pricewise with the replacement Aux shaft drive shaft, Frame bush, pinions, seals and a full front to back service he still had change from a Grand

According to BM time and Dealer rates here that might have just covered the labour

They are a cracking bike Loads of power very stable very comfortable BUT if you have a mech failure getting someone to do the work can be troublesome

Impressed with your ability and mostly your memory to know how it all goes back! There are a good few '04 K1200RS bikes here which were surplus to US market and sold off for GBP6K in '05 / '06. Superb bikes. Two that I know of have cleaned the main / side stand off the bottom of the g/b going over a ramp, leaves the rider with a wee problemo, no way to get off and park! New g/b casing required.

Back
Top Bottom