Santander - Malaga on a 1976 Bultaco Matador MK 9

BAKERMAN

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have always wanted to ride my Dad old bike back to Spain, for the past few years I have sent it down on a lorry, and returned it the same way this time I`m ready to ride it.

I have some soft bags and the local bike shop has made me a small frame to keep them from harms way.

I leave next Friday next the 19th April about 3pm for a 5.30pm ferry to Spain, I`m doing the first 50 miles in the van down to the port as I don`t want to miss a booked ferry.

And If I brake down I want to do it in Spain not on the M27 to Portsmouth.

I land in Santander on Saturday evening hope to do 50 miles then Sunday I want to do 100 - 150 that`s how much fuel I have 15 lts, 5 in the can and 10 in the tank.

Booked a hotel in Mjias just North Of Malaga for Friday night so I hope to stay there 3 nights and fly back MONDAY 29th to Gatwick.

RAC Card should get me down there if I get into a real over heat, but a steady 35-40 I should be fine.

Taking my notebook so should be able to keep this going, the bike is not going to be the easyist thing to ride but a pleasure to see folks faces when I turn up at Spanish petrol Station.

i-5FzD6pB.jpg

i-6Ztws9f.jpg

i-hZSpgFQ.jpg

Great stuff, one thing I would do

NOT take that 5l metal petrol can:blast:eek:

Swap it for a plastic 5l one, which would ...

a) Take up less room, being a squarer shape

b) Not destroy the seat cover, bumping around

c) Maybe not radiate as much heat from the sun as a metal one, be better insulated perhaps

Please change it Steve:D

Good luck, and very best wishes Sir.....Great idea and I'm sure that your Dad would/will be proud of you.......:thumb2

.......and the fully blinged up GSA crowd will now breeze down to Tesco.....:D

PLEEEEEEEZZZZZZE keep us informed.....:)

Sounds good to me.....yes, the bike should turn some of the old boys' heads.:thumb
I'm going to Portugal on Sunday for 12 days, to ride trails from Braganca down the Spanish border.
Bakes, what your approximate route planned?

Ack-choo-ally, this could start something....retro adventure rides.
I'd need to find a bike......DT250MX?:cool:

Ack-choo-ally, this could start something....retro adventure rides.
I'd need to find a bike......DT250MX?:cool:

I think you maybe right about the 'next thing'.
I started thinking the same when he did the scooter thing, Snoopy opted for the scooter for the start of his adventure, Tarka did the same for that do he went to. I can really see the appeal of traveling on older or more unusual rides. Not so much going to classic events like moto pistons, more just go on holiday on old stuff and enjoy the breakdowns and adventures they guarantee you.

more just go on holiday on old stuff and enjoy the breakdowns and adventures they guarantee you.

Totally my thought, if I do 100 miles I`ll be happy, 700 and I`ll be amazed and going to spell check then I`ll be amused as well.

Well there`s a 5lt Can in the Hograost raffle, and if the plastic don`t leek it is better, Johnie, I was thinking that they may not allow plastic can on the ferry, plus that metal can its a thing of beauty.

As for routes, I was going to buy maps on the ferry and spend my time on there routing a back road route.

Bags are lopsided as one one has gear in, most importantly TEA making equipment an old oily cover as to hide bike at night and an wire alarm that I can thread allover and sends out 45,00000 desebells when cut, and a nice little lock strap that I bought from Adventure Warehouse about £25ish brilliant thing.

Carrying 50 TWINNGS Assam so as to make drinks for the natives, as Assam is Strong & Mighty.

I have 7 days to decide weather to were 1970`s gear, I have some great old stuff kept from years of trail riding, with some modern under garments I think I`ll be fine in a old BARBOUR Suit.

i-BWWLsvF.jpg

i-k65VgR9.jpg

Calling on our intrepid Bakes today and it seems preparations are well under way.

P1030666-L.jpg

He seems well prepared for any mechanical misfortunes
P1030665-L.jpg

P1030669-L.jpg

The face of a man about to eat Spanish flies:bow:clap
P1030668-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom