Engine Casing Corrosion

russ_fae_fyvie

Reaction score
I'm sure I have seen this somewhere before but Mr Search Engine failed !

I have had my F800GS through 3 winters, and have now noticed the paint bubbling on the engine casing.

Has anyone suffered from this before, bikes done just about 13k miles and although its been hit by 3 winters worth of salt, I'm not particularly impressed buy the flaking already.

:mad:

I have a 2009 with a mid year build date F650GS, and yes, the engine case paint bubbled, the fork paint fell off, the wheel finish removed itself, etc...
Very poor quality finish from the factory.
When I complained for a warranty claim, Motorrad Mexico denied my claim by stating that because I live in a city near the ocean, they don't have to repair any finish defects.
End of story.
BMW has truly invented a talking arsehole and perfected it and put it to work on warranty claims. Another marvel of modern engineering from Spandau.
I have a feeling that the engineer who designed the stock seat and the mirrors, somehow mated with his cousin and then the offspring was employed in warranty claims.

I feel much better now after having said all that!:rob

My F800GS had this problem after 2 years. BMW said I hadn't been cleaning the bike properly. Mileage at the time would have been considerably less than yours, the bike only has about 9.5K miles on it now.

And I work for them (well, one of their dealers anyway).

The left casing and the sump were particularly bad, so I removed them and had them blasted and powder coated.

Mine is a 800, 14months old, 2k miles and the paint is flaking off the front edge of the left cover. Currently waiting for dealer to get the OK for a warrenty job. We will see :augie

ACF 50! Expensive but brilliant.

Used it for years mate but its not meant for this environment. Its actually designed for the interior of aircraft fuselages where there is no water, salt, etc and in that situation probably works fine.

However when its subject to spray, like on the engine casings, also where its subject to heat it just aint gonna work, its also meant to go on bare metal so on paint is a no no ! Its actually removed by water so any application of it needs to be regularly reapplied on areas that see water, or after a wash.

I just think paint coming off a casing on a bike so young is bad design, after all its not like its a rare problem every bike on the road suffers but I've not seen any bike of mine (except Triumphs, say no more!) suffer like this.

Used it for years mate but its not meant for this environment. Its actually designed for the interior of aircraft fuselages where there is no water, salt, etc and in that situation probably works fine.

However when its subject to spray, like on the engine casings, also where its subject to heat it just aint gonna work, its also meant to go on bare metal so on paint is a no no ! Its actually removed by water so any application of it needs to be regularly reapplied on areas that see water, or after a wash.

I just think paint coming off a casing on a bike so young is bad design, after all its not like its a rare problem every bike on the road suffers but I've not seen any bike of mine (except Triumphs, say no more!) suffer like this.

I think they paint the engine cases, before building and then machine the faces, before engine assembly

Hence water and salt getting under the edges, starting the corrosion process

12 thou mile in 10 months on my 800. Not a jot of corrosion anywhere. Not even a bolt. Acf50 coated regularly:thumb

My 2008 F800GS bubbled on the edges of the casing around the crank/sump and side cases, I googled it at the time and it was something to do with the way they had applied the paint to the cases and was told that BMW had rectified the problem but seems not.

I took mine back to the dealer they took photos etc and noted it was a absolutely immaculate and i never cleaned it with muc off either so they was not getting out of a warranty claim within 24hrs BMW got back to me and they offered to replaced the engine foc because that was easier.

I went to spain on the bike and on my return they fitted the new engine and i sold the bike just after with a brand new engine.

However i suggest you never buy a Ducati on my hypermoto the paint seem to vanish over night not just in one section but the whole engine it peeled off like paper and all mr ducati would do under warranty is spray the casings whilst still on the bike with a rattle can ! they said its normal ....

Beg to differ it`s exactly for this environment, done 25,000 miles on mine through 3 crap winters and the ONLY sign of corrosion is on bolts I didn`t apply it to:blast
Engine is immaculate with no sign of corrosion, in fact a biker commented to me the other day how clean the bike was and it obviously hadn`t been ridden through winter:eek

I have had my F800GS through 3 winters, and have now noticed the paint bubbling on the engine casing.

Has anyone suffered from this before, bikes done just about 13k miles and although its been hit by 3 winters worth of salt, I'm not particularly impressed buy the flaking already.

I,m a fan of the anti corrosion formula 50 also Muc off motorcycle protector in the summer (OCD cleaning level 1) :thumb:D not all year biker but doing it myself.

not for the faint hearted, as in leaving it dirty does not go with my OCD cleaning regime :eek but the stuff forms a film barrier, to be cleaned off later leaving your shiny new pin great stuff :D:D

The paint bubbling is a different thing I agree with others as in most cases it was already there when the bike was first purchased, just not visible working from the inside to out. (then you do see it :tears). It obviously does not appear on all bikes and emerges at earlier or later times.

Just an opinion but other than abuse, of lack of cleaning and or protecting before and after certain environments. It's also luck of the draw, purchase, there are more good ones than bad, mines a good one, so far :blast

:rob But we all know wearing a condom won't cure the STD you already have :nenau take it up with your local BMW clinic check out the paint warranty :augie

True the paint is not applied properly and the corrosion works it way out not in, happened on a small part of my 800s engine and it wasn`t through lack of cleaning.

Traded my first 800GS just before 2 year waranty was up and dealer swapped sump and left hand case, used all year and was drowned in FS365. Second GS was fine but got treated to ACF50 before I picked it up and regularly after, traded it after about a year and engine looked like new. Current GS is 15 months old and has been ACF50'd but left hand cover is bubbling near clutch entry point and on front edge of casing and wheel hubs are the same.

Have had many other bikes and used them year round and never seen engine paint so poor, although other bits like SV650 forks have been rubbish.

Really want to keep hold of this bike, may not bother with warranty but just get clutch case powdercoated, as long as main engine block is ok. Not had problem with right hand cases though.

My nice new 700GS has been through one mild winter and even though it was washed off after every use it looks like it been through 10 years of salt strewn roads.
The paint on the engine is bubbling up, the front disc brake calipers are corroding and the paint is coming off, the paint is flaking off the brake disc centers and the metal ends of the hydraulic hoses are corroding as are most of the bolts which are now a nice rusty brown.
BMW build quality is a joke and as for the warranty then forget it because if you use it through the winter then their answer is "It's the road salt that's caused it and nothing to do with us". Good grief, I have a 8 year old Kawasaki that's in better shape.
Would I buy another BMW, not on you life!

i gave my trophy 800 a proper clean today. 12 thou miles in ten months and used all winter. Not even a bolt rusted.It cleans up like brand new. paid careful attention to engine cases etc.They are immaculate. Bike has been coated in acf50 from new and regulary applied threw the winter time.......
u really need to get them well dried off after washing as so many nooks around engine for the water to sit in

i gave my trophy 800 a proper clean today. 12 thou miles and used all winter. Not even a bolt rusted.It cleans up like brand new. paid careful attention to engine cases etc.They are immaculate. Bike has been coated in acf50 from new and regulary applied threw the winter time.......
u really need to get them well dried off after washing as so many nooks around engine for the water to sit in

:thumb2

Use FS365 on mine. Five years, four winters, 86,000+ miles and not a hint of corrosion :thumb2

:beerjug:

Update !!

Spoke to BMW and they are taking my bike in on Thursday to see about a Warranty Claim !

Will let you know what happens !

Update from me as well:clap

BMW have agreed in principle to sort out the engine case. I have to take the bike to the dealer who has been asked to look the bike over. This is to examine the general condition. If it's just the engine case (which it is) they will sort it. Not sure if they are going to repaint or replace the case. I will update again later in the week.

It's looking positive that they are doing it under warrenty.:beerjug:

Adrian

Another Update

I took the bike to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, he pointed out it was outside the warranty and I pointed out for a bike less that 3 years old it was unacceptable !

He said he would take photos and send them off to BMW.

I also took photos and sent them myself, seperately and have since had a phone call(yet to be followed up by them) which I missed but they left a message saying they were going to consult the dealer.

It is all around the edge of the LH casing and also every bolt hole, looks like the paint application wasnt good enough to seal and every edge has got corrosion as you can see. I have suggested a replacment LH casing, properly painted, would solve the problem because all the others on the bike are fine.

I'm still waiting to hear back, will update when/if I do !

Attachments

• casing1.jpg
    casing1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 367
  • casing2.jpg
    casing2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 376
Looks more like neglect to me :eek:

90,000 miles, four full winters of use and absolutely no corrosion on mine :nenau

L1010825-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom