Engine Casing Corrosion

Update on left casing

Just come off the phone from my local stealer ;)

Although my corrosion is nowhere near some they have been authorised by BMW to change the case :beerjug:

Result for me :thumb

Nice one mate

:beerjug:

I will be on the phone tomorrow, I sent an email to the contact at BMW HQ on Monday with those photos, not heard anything, so its time for me to call them !!

My 2011 f650gs twin paint blistering

I'm in the Asia country whereby is all day summer here with rain occasionally . My F650Gs twin left engine crankcase started to blistering n bubble.

image.jpg

image_2013-06-14.jpg

image_2013-06-14-2.jpg

image_2013-06-14-3.jpg

I'm in the Asia country whereby is all day summer here with rain occasionally . My F650Gs twin left engine crankcase started to blistering n bubble.

image.jpg

image_2013-06-14.jpg

image_2013-06-14-2.jpg

image_2013-06-14-3.jpg

That's bad

In a country where temps are nothing like the northern hemisphere

Shocking

That's bad

In a country where temps are nothing like the northern hemisphere

Shocking

That's not corrosion JB ... it's either plain bad coating/finishing (if its been there all the time), or a reaction t'ween alloy and the applied finishing of enamel :eek:
It's coming from the inside, underneath the paint .... not the outside

But then what do I know ;)

That's not corrosion JB ... it's either plain bad coating/finishing (if its been there all the time), or a reaction t'ween alloy and the applied finishing of enamel :eek:
It's coming from the inside, underneath the paint .... not the outside

But then what do I know ;)

That's what I was alluding to, salt corrosion can't be blamed

It was always there or is a reaction

Seems that there is a great degree of variance in how the paint is applied during engine build & as the engine is out-sourced you have to question to the QC at the engine factory

Just an update . Went down to the dealer , they take a few shots of my bike where the paint blistering. Email to the Germany hQ for instruction. Were told they never encounter this before. Well got to wait and see how it goes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My nice new 700GS has been through one mild winter and even though it was washed off after every use it looks like it been through 10 years of salt strewn roads.
The paint on the engine is bubbling up, the front disc brake calipers are corroding and the paint is coming off, the paint is flaking off the brake disc centers and the metal ends of the hydraulic hoses are corroding as are most of the bolts which are now a nice rusty brown.
BMW build quality is a joke and as for the warranty then forget it because if you use it through the winter then their answer is "It's the road salt that's caused it and nothing to do with us". Good grief, I have a 8 year old Kawasaki that's in better shape.
Would I buy another BMW, not on you life!

What mild winter was that lol.let me know where that was and I will go :D

Just had the answer back I was expecting.

They blame me (I actually blame me as well, for buying a BMW!) and will accept no responsibility for any manufacturing fault.

Last night I sent the another set of photos, a perfectly clean bike, no corrosion anywhere on the bike except for 2 engine casings so I asked them to specifically answer one simple question.

If it was my fault, can they explain why all the other engine casings are perfectly alright, but the LH Casing and Sump are rotten. Also no corrosion anywhere else on the bike, just there.

I think BMW have just invented a new Law of Physics, 'Selective BMW Corrosion' Syndrome !

I doubt very much I will receive an answer to such a simple, yet pointed. question so I will just steer well clear of any BMW product ever again.

The funny thing is that, totally unrelated, I received a call from the Dealer last week (knowing my finance deal to pay the bike off finished next month) asking me if I would like a new 800GS Explorer, think you know the answer to that matey !

Although I know they will be ignoring me from now on, look out for a mention in MCN especially as the Explorer has just been launched, I mean it would be rude not to let potential new owners know of possible future problems, wouldnt it !?

Final comment from me (honest!)

These are a few general photos of both sides and back of the bike, pretty good but then the 2 engine casings on the left just look like sh1te.

Can't see how BMW can blame me for the targeted corrosion.

Never mind, never get another BMW (as if they care) I'll stick to Hondas, at least I know they don't rot !

I'll certainly be letting others know !!

paint6.jpg

paint1.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

paint5.jpg

That is some crazy corrosion going on there. Can't understand it. Zilch corrosion on my bike. None anywhere and used all the time. As far as Hondas go they corrode alright. Had a new transalp and both wheels corroded real bad at first sign of salt. Spokes the heap.

368C9AA0-02FE-441D-8E6A-0C52D5CAAE56-711-0000004C06096CB4_zps9b72ef00.jpg

This is my bike after 14 thou mile in 13 months and all winter use. Cleans up like new

Just an update. I receive a call fr my local BMW agent . They told me tat BMW HQ has give the green light and they will rebuild my engine FOC . now they will order the parts a new "crankcase" And it will take 2-3 days for the job. I appreciate the help from my local agent PML BMW for the support tat they had given me. Hope it just a minority issue for my case. Well BMW wins me back this round.:beerjug:

Visited the dealer today to show him it in all its glory, you could see he was shocked at how bad it was and his silence told a lot although he obviously didnt admit anything.

This was taken at the weekend as I was about to prepare it for my painting, the sump was even worse than I thought.

sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

:mad:

Can't prove it now, since I've had my affected parts shotblasted and painted, but I find it strange that (apart from the addition of the starter motor on my bike) the only engine casings on mine that were affected by the corrosion were the same two as on yours. They were both as bad as yours, as well. No corrosion on the rest of the engine casings at all.

Back
Top Bottom