Engine Casing Corrosion

Looks like a final update.

Despite speaking to the Dealer Principle at John Clark in Aberdeen last week about this problem looks like I am being ignored.

Even the BMW Facebook people said it was a cleaning issue and not their problem.

So I will sort it myself and just make a note to never buy another BMW again and also to keep well away from John Clark in Aberdeen (and Dundee) because on reflection, and speaking to others, nobody gives a damn about this matter.

I didnt even get a reply from MCN so they can all sod off coz its obviously a problem many others have had.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297974&highlight=engine+oil

Final update from me. The bike is going in Thursday for the offending casing to be changed. Result:beerjug:. While I was there recently I saw a 2nd hand 800 for sale and guess what.............. Yep the paint was flaking off of the front edge of the clutch cover. This is obviously not isolated as some have been told.

Final update from me too !

Just got a call from the local dealer offering a real good discount on the 2 casings which I'm taking them up on !

I reckon all the hassle I was giving them, (on Facebook, various forums and direct contact with BMW Motorrad, etc) finally paid off !

I actually took the 2 old ones off at the weekend and they are a real mees and although I would have tried to do a good job of painting them, I doubt they would have looked as good.

Anyway, things are finally sorted !

:D

corrosion

Final update from me too !

Just got a call from the local dealer offering a real good discount on the 2 casings which I'm taking them up on !

I reckon all the hassle I was giving them, (on Facebook, various forums and direct contact with BMW Motorrad, etc) finally paid off !

I actually took the 2 old ones off at the weekend and they are a real mees and although I would have tried to do a good job of painting them, I doubt they would have looked as good.

Anyway, things are finally sorted !

:D

:beerjug:Yes, glad you're sorted but in my view you didn't get fair treatment from the start. Photos clearly show a bike in nice condition apart from the bits affected. Maybe you wear the wrong aftershave?:thumb2

:beerjug:Yes, glad you're sorted but in my view you didn't get fair treatment from the start. Photos clearly show a bike in nice condition apart from the bits affected. Maybe you wear the wrong aftershave?:thumb2

Or maybe the fact the bike was out of warranty when the fault was reported was instrumental in the claim being rejected. At least the OP has got a result. He would have had real problems if had a Triumph with corrosion issues, even if the bike was under warranty.

Ahoy. I might as well chip in - pun intended - with a "me two". Or a me three or seven or forty.

I have an 18 month old F650GS with 10,000 miles on it, that had been used as a BMW demo / courtesy bike. Axiomatically, it will have been maintained to the standards that a BMW dealer actually believes is necessary.

On seeing this thread, I had a look under it and lo and behold, found flaking under the sump. Thanks to you, I caught it early and applied some Hammerite TLC.

I should stress that it was minor, and on the leading edges, including the leading edge of the rear bash plate mount (I don't have a bash plate) and on the little bar in front of the sump. This indicates that it's being chipped or just blown off rather than being corrosion, i.e. Rotax cheaped out on the thickness or bonding of the coating.

It's a small issue, but taken in conjunction with a leaking fork seal (trivially fixed) and a drum tight chain presumably to suppress the distinctive chain-slap when it's adjusted to spec, you can bet that I now know how much a BMW "approved used" check is really worth.

Back
Top Bottom