Aerial repair

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone tried repairing the flippy up aerial? Mine's broken, as they do, I've been using an external aerial, but has masses of cable which I don't need or want.

Yes. You have to carefully split the two halves of the flappy cover, not easy. What I found was that the RF connector to the PCB Antenna had broken off inside.

You will also have to be handy with a very small soldering iron in order to fix the broken join.

Yes............. but................. using a small RF connector as a hinge has got to be one of the dumbest bits of design on an 'waterproof' GPS unit.

IMHO, forget trying to repair the connector and use a cheap external aerial and shorten the cable as required

Like most Quests my aerial packed up and it's pick up is patchy to say the least. I'm reluctant to get rid of it as it's a small compact unit that I really like.

I have tried an external aerial as for most people it seems to solve the problem, it's better but not the quantum leap others seem to enjoy. Am I missing something here? Should I change a setting on the unit to "use external aerial" or will it do this itself?

Sadly I can't find the manual to check so please don't just say RTFM

Thanks for any tips

With mine I simply plugged the external aerial into the socket and it worked straight away, no fuss, no bother, and much quicker satellite pick up too. Now if I could only fix the scratched and faded screen.....
Mark

Back
Top Bottom