Can the 'Remaining fuel range' readout be 'hacked'?

KTM 1190 fuel gauge, being on the cusp of spending another £90 on my third ,possibly fourth sender unit I investigated yet again.
After reading about non floating floats I extricated the float and lo and behold it sinks in a glass of petrol.
I managed to scrounge an old sender from my dealer ,fitted the float and amazingly the gauge works. I will have to wait and see
if this one becomes heavier than petrol but it's a good result at the moment. Not long returned from a trip to Switzerland with no gauge
and topping up via the trip mileage.

Best thing that happened on my 09 GSA is the fuel strip breaking... Mislead me to the side of the road twice. Now I rely only on the miles and fill up religiously at 250 miles.... easy

The range indicator is next to useless anyway (reads way under or over) and your fuel strip is a ticking time bomb to failing at any time (I am on my 10th) so it sounds like a lot of effort for not much reward !

Nick it might be something simpler along the lines of a trigger sensor that activates on fuel level/float or strip becoming dry/passing a sensor in the tank which then activates and does the calculations. Rather than a function that is always present in the OBC? I tend to agree with you re the pointlessness of hiding a feature that is nice to have. Either that or a memory issue in the OBC, as the range left becomes available, another function disappears leaving the space/calculation/ in the memory..?

Luckily, most of us who are over forty cut our riding teeth on bikes that only had fuel taps.
On those bikes, you very quickly learned the best-case and worst-case fuel consumption scenarios for any particular bike.
If you're a half-decent rider, you realise that knowledge of both scenarios is even more important today than it was back then. One thing I've noticed about BMWs: when they run out of fuel, they don't sputter or stutter - they just stop dead.

Nick it might be something simpler along the lines of a trigger sensor that activates on fuel level/float or strip becoming dry/passing a sensor in the tank which then activates and does the calculations.

After a few years with a broken strip, past winter I replaced the (still broken) strip with a float and Hank's converter I had sitting in a drawer.
It does the job, but it is not super accurate at reading the full/almost full tank. But it works pretty well at indicating when you are about at the reserve level (I always reset the trip meter).
I think it's the closest to what you are suggesting and does the job! :okay

From my experience (might be wrong) the range indicator, and reserve, is calculated over current MPG.
When my fuel strip was still working, the bike would light the warning light (low fuel) at about 120miles when in London, and at 50/80miles when traveling. :friday

Back
Top Bottom