The Banjul Boyz... Fanum, Slimbo & Tony's updates

I've tried that number, I just get a messaging service asking me to re-enter the telephone number. I do that and she asks me again, then she asks me in French, but she doesn't ever take my message, silly bint!

If ANYONE hears ANYTHING please pm me. I am absolutely frantic here. Bill was calling and texting a couple of times daily until Saturday, and I've not heard a word since. No-one has. The last report they sent to the officials was on Saturday too. The last thing Bill said to me was that he was heading to the Mauritanian border and that there was a report of shooting there. When I got upset he told me it was probably just a wind-up and not to worry. Well, now I'm worried.

:(

I spoke to Bill on Saturday morning... I could hear gun fire in the background which was getting louder.. then complete silence

See there's no need to worry.......... sorry, I know I'm sick :D:D

No what he actualy said was, after Saturday they were heading into the 'serious stuff' and the phone probably wouldn't work down there.

As the old saying goes 'No news is good news'. I'm sure he'll contact you as soon as he's able to :thumb

Found this on the official site. All appear to be ok :)

"5312 andCrashBash arr safe nouackchot sahara completed only six of our nine vehicle convoy made it but all ok time for beer" ukgser (13/01/05 00:07:49)

Well I havent seen them on the road and I am past Mauritania now

Latest txt report 18-01-05 19:02:-

Arrive banjul last night after five hr q for ferry went to see some clinics today out in the wilds big parade is tomorrow flying back friday leave at five to gatwick then will have to find way back to swansea

Danny should we be worried about these clinics they oviously had to go to ;) :D:D:D

lol

Actually they're desperately trying to give this damned landrover away. They've been visiting potential homes for it for the last day or so.

One was huge, a lovely shiny building full of donated equipment and a new van outside, but it was closed. Apparently the government won't put the money into getting it off the ground, so the stuff is just wasting away inside.

One was a tiny clinic only visited by a midwife on Wednesdays and Fridays (you gotta cross yer legs if you are due on any other day) but she doesn't drive, so has no use for a vehicle.

People don't really have the money to finance transport, so giving it to someone who will keep it going is proving to be more difficult than they thought.

One suggestion has been to give it to a school for educational trips. Slimbo is up for this, but Bill is worried that as all you guys put your hands into your pockets for the midwives, giving the landrover to a school seems a bit, well, fraudulent.

I told him to go talk to the hotel owners (Gerry and Maureen?) as they know the area and the needs of the locals more than any of us. And most of all, not to fret about it. They have done a good thing. Wherever the landrover ends up I'm sure it will be put to good use.

If the guys are struggling to ‘give’ the Land Rover away for fear of it being left to waste away, then surely the wisest move would be to donate it to the school who, by the sound of things, would put it to good use.

I’m sure no one here who ‘put their hands in their pockets’ myself included would have any objections. :)

Paul G (BHT) said:
If the guys are struggling to ‘give’ the Land Rover away for fear of it being left to waste away, then surely the wisest move would be to donate it to the school who, by the sound of things, would put it to good use.

I’m sure no one here who ‘put their hands in their pockets’ myself included would have any objections. :)

.....absolutely agree..... long as it's put to good use go for it!:thumb

Paul G (BHT) said:

They're obviously trying to be conscientious over this... That's all you can ask.
best for it to used by someone... their call.. go for it.

tell them to drive south till they find a deserving cause :D :D

They are home tonight on the 16.55 from Banjul to Gatwick, and it's a 5 1/2 hour flight, so after hiring a car and driving to Swansea it's gonna be the middle of the night so I wouldn't expect them to be online til tomorrow.

The landrover eventually went to a woman who runs several clinics and so will be being used to help save lives from day one.

She also runs a chimpanzee sanctuary and the boys couldn't resist adopting a couple of chimps before they left.

I think they are naming them Kevin and Jamie :p

The Eagle has landed... just spoke to Bill, he sounds like he's on a high but also sounds fcuked.... nice one men, well done

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Whatton said:
Well thats the holiday over, the boss is back :(

:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

Hell yes I'm back.......

Three chuffin weeks away and you arseholes let the place go to pot.....wtf have you all been up to!!!!!

I've got three weeks of sex to catch up on, and right now I'm knackered and very smelly.......This is the only post I'm gonna make today then tommorrow '
I'll try and catch up.......

Suffice it to say that we left Tiff's gear at Dakhla, which is the last point possible before you enter the serious sahara........She picked it up less than twelve hours later so at leas that went well and Tiffany has her desert kit.

We also found a bloody good home for Boris (as our landy became known) that answers all the points we wanted, and all the things we were raising money for.........she'll literally be saving lives within a week and we came back very satisfied with the work we'd done on that score.

We've also adopted two chimps on behalf of UKGSER, and we have a standing invitation for anyone to go down to the clinic and build, plumb, dig, build, patch, mend incubators, cleanse, basically do anything they can........all we'll need to do is arrange return flights and you'll be picked up at banjul airport, driven 12 hours out into the scrub and then experience stuff you've only had nightmares about as far as conditions, humour, the will to survive and poverty go.......and this is a serious invitation, but more info will follow.

We have loads of piccies, lots of video and rather a lot of stories to tell........but right now, i'm going to have a bath, an indian takeaway and then I'm off to bed......

Nice to be back chaps, thanks for all the support, and I'll be back tommorrow.

Cheers

Bill

Many thanks to Graham and Bill for having me as the "third man" in the team. Thanks also to all those on the forum who supported the venture. A brilliant experience personally but much more than that. Like Bill, I am confident that the Landrover has gone to a place where it can make a real difference to many people's lives for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom