ESA default rider weight?

davidgibson999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Presumably BMW have assumed an average rider weight when setting up ESA on the LC. Anyone know what this is?

So does the system adjust for weight outside the base setting?

70.8kg is the average weight of Europeans. Where did you read that BMW use that weight for the average rider?

I suspect that BMW's model is a bit heavier than me.

I'm 5' 7" and just under 11 stone and looking around most people are taller and how-do-you-say-it, weightier than me! :hide

I am only 5' 8'' and ride most of the time 2-up but I ride with mine set to single rider as my wife and I weigh about 20 stone combined which I feel is too light for the 2 people setting:nenau It worked well on my K1300 being 1 setting down even with luggage:thumb2

Where did the 70.8kg figure come from? Seems a bit light.

I'm 75kg au natural and reckon that probably reflects the less bulkier average shadow for a GS rider. Touring with a topbox and a 30ltr Givi bag stuffed with clothes I still preferred the single rider without luggage setting which is why I query the 70.8kg number. And yea, I know it's horses for courses.

Daz

Could we just keep this on topic - I specifically want to know what figures BMW use for rider, luggage, pillion etc. If you're just guessing start another thread :)

Have you tried speaking to BMW direct:blast

Most of what you`ll get on here is going to be opinions or guess work at best.

BMW sent an undercover employee to a selection of UKGSer events, equipped with a high tech 3D camera/scanner.

After analysing the data they set the suspension for rider only to cope with a weight of 125Kgs plus riding gear and allowed 70Kgs for luggage to cope with 2 trays of bottled beer plus food and one spare pair of socks.

Apologies to the OP:D

Could we just keep this on topic - I specifically want to know what figures BMW use for rider, luggage, pillion etc. If you're just guessing start another thread :)

RTFM - PAGE 68/69 GIVES YOU WHAT YOU ARE AFTER!

READING THE MANUAL IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA - ONE ALWAYS SHOULD DO THIS WITH A NEW BIKE - BLOODY OBVIOUS REALLY SO I DON'T KNOW WHY I AM TELLING YOU THIS.

BMW sent an undercover employee to a selection of UKGSer events, equipped with a high tech 3D camera/scanner.

After analysing the data they set the suspension for rider only to cope with a weight of 125Kgs plus riding gear and allowed 70Kgs for luggage to cope with 2 trays of bottled beer plus food and one spare pair of socks.

I needed a lunchtime laugh. :thumb

RTFM - PAGE 68/69 GIVES YOU WHAT YOU ARE AFTER!

READING THE MANUAL IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA - ONE ALWAYS SHOULD DO THIS WITH A NEW BIKE - BLOODY OBVIOUS REALLY SO I DON'T KNOW WHY I AM TELLING YOU THIS.

No idea why you decided to shout? Secondly, the pages you quote relate to non-ESA bikes and does not give me the info I'm after. Maybe you should have read my original post more carefully. :rolleyes:
And yes, I've asked BMW directly and am awaiting a response.

:D:D:D

PAGE 68/69 OF THE MANUAL STATES THAT FULL FUEL LOAD + RIDER = 95kgs.

WIKI SAYS THAT THE DENSITY OF GASOLINE IS 0.71-0.77 kg/l.

TAKING THE MIDDLE VALUE OF 0.74kg/l X 21l = 15.5kg.

THEREFORE RIDER = 95kg - 15.5kg = 79.5kg. 12.5 STONE SEEMS PRETTY AVERAGE TO ME.

IF YOU ARE A FAT TOSSER THEN YOU WILL NEED TO INCREASE THE SPRING PRE-LOAD AND INCREASE THE REBOUND DAMPING ACCORDINGLY.

Could you also point out to me where it states in the manual what the pillion and luggage assumed weights are?

Could you also point out to me where it states in the manual what the pillion and luggage assumed weights are?

I don't think it does but it does give a max payload in the technical spec at the end of the manual - one could assume that a pillion is the same as the rider and then do the subtractions to get the max luggage. Alternatively there is a max kg that can be carried in the panniers and top box, so you could work back from that. Just search the pdf manual for kg and all will be revealed. :D

The problem with ESA is that it is a compromise and not infinitely adjustable like the manual suspension version - I can fine tune mine but you can only adjust the ESA in lumps.

Glad we're no longer shouting :)
I'll wait and see if BMW respond. Eg with ESA a light rider with only a top box might not need to set ESA for luggage whereas a fat tosser might need luggage settings even with no luggage :)

Back
Top Bottom