Show us your Crosstourer

Crosstourer

Here are a couple of pictures of my latest Crosstourer DCT.

It’s pretty similar to my last one. Although, this one is a year newer, half the milage. Plus it has the Honda Bars and led spots.

There a really good bike.

Had a choice of virtually anything I wanted.

But when I sat down and thought about it.

Was it so daft buying a used bike under 3 years old with 5000 miles on the clock in mint condition. As opposed to a new R1250 GSA for double the price.

Click on photo twice to expand.

Looks very nice Nick, sorted now for this years fun out on the roads. Lots of nice extras there. :thumb2

Greetings, I have a few questions on the Crosstour (VFR1200X over here) if anyone would care to answer.
I assume by the spoke location that they are tubeless rims?
I have heard a few speak that the throttle can be a bit abrupt or snatchy but reading through all the posts here didn't see any complaint of it so not a real problem?
Any of you that ridden a water cooled GS and GSA how would you compare the seat and riding position to a Crosstour?

The reason for my inquiry is I want to replace my 2015 Road King with another tourer only one with better manners on poor roads (not off road) and there is a new (old stock) 2017 manual VFR1200X for sale at what seems to be a good price. Please talk me out, or in, to this motorcycle. :D

Greetings, I have a few questions on the Crosstour (VFR1200X over here) if anyone would care to answer.
I assume by the spoke location that they are tubeless rims?
I have heard a few speak that the throttle can be a bit abrupt or snatchy but reading through all the posts here didn't see any complaint of it so not a real problem?
Any of you that ridden a water cooled GS and GSA how would you compare the seat and riding position to a Crosstour?

The reason for my inquiry is I want to replace my 2015 Road King with another tourer only one with better manners on poor roads (not off road) and there is a new (old stock) 2017 manual VFR1200X for sale at what seems to be a good price. Please talk me out, or in, to this motorcycle. :D

Hi Clifton

Yes the rims are tubeless
As you can see, I had a 2012 DCT.
The engine is excellent, smooth and powerful throughout the rev range
I loved the DCT although the D mode changed a bit early and S a bit late’ so most of the time I rode in S mode but changed up using the handlebar switch before getting too high in the revs. Automatic down changes in S mode were perfect and gave good engine braking
l had absolutely no problem with throttle control even maneuvering in and out of the garage around cars
The seat was comfy (and was improved on the later models) and there is slightly more room for rider and passenger than on a GS LC and more leg room
Brakes are plenty good although not as good as the GS and the Honda linked system is less intrusive than the BMW system
The bike is heavy when wheeling about but as soon as you’re moving the weight disappears by magic
They handle well when set up even on standard suspension but this is unfortunately the weak point of the bike, the front is very harsh and needs softening off almost to the max, the rear is the opposite, I had to run on maximum preload all the time

Of course that’s just my own opinions

Hope that helps

Leadfarmer your experience helps a lot, thanks you. Thank goodness they're tubeless, one of the few things I dislike about my Africa a Twin. Compared to a 2015+ GS with seat in high position, or my previous 2014 GSA, I was concerned the seat peg distance might be tight so good to hear that they're somewhat similar. Suspension critique is noted, sounds like the front is plagued with stiction, too heavy fork oil, and or too stiff of springs. Rear may be ok for me, 185# and riding solo.

It appears I will soon have a new leftover 2017 DCT. My dealer procured it for me from Honda NA’s auction of clearing dated inventory held on Tuesday. Said he’s trying to determine how much freight will be in order to give me the exact cost. Regardless it’ll be in time for riding season which begins within a month.
Love the DCT on my Africa Twin so looking forward to this bike.

I took a CT manual out last week for a test ride - I was really, really disappointed. The fuelling felt all over the place at low speed (at 20mph coming up the hill through my estate in 2nd it was a liability) and there was a huge ‘step’ at about 4500rpm, really noticeably. I assumed it was the VTec kicking in, but it felt really clumsy.

Surely this can’t be normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1200 Crosstourer doesn't have VTec that's only fitted on the 800 Crossrunner. The problems I had with the Crosstourer that I traded in for my 16.5 GS were the big gap between 1st and 2nd (Manual Box), suspension and the height/weight of the bike. Other than those things it was great and really comfortable.

P
I took a CT manual out last week for a test ride - I was really, really disappointed. The fuelling felt all over the place at low speed (at 20mph coming up the hill through my estate in 2nd it was a liability) and there was a huge ‘step’ at about 4500rpm, really noticeably. I assumed it was the VTec kicking in, but it felt really clumsy.

Surely this can’t be normal?

My fuelling is fine and I’m wondering why you had such a problem at 20mph in second ? Mine , DCT, will lug up a steep hill at 25-30mph in 4th with no problem. On the flat it will roll along nicely in top at just 36mph. Also there is no step up whatsoever , the torquey / linear nature of the engine is presumably why some people think it’s a bit bland . It sounds like there must have been a problem with the bike. Are you sure it wasn’t the Crossrunner ?

Absolutely 100% a Crosstourer! Manual gearbox too. It was lurching going up the hill in perhaps 2nd gear at 20mph, and there was a noticeable cough/dip/step at 4.5k rpm when accelerating in top on the motorway.

Concerning that the sale guy ‘agreed’ it could be the VTec when I mistakenly assumed this model had it.

Lovely looking bike though!

2a584dc35129d8d748d2106bda704c0b.jpg

Absolutely 100% a Crosstourer! Manual gearbox too. It was lurching going up the hill in perhaps 2nd gear at 20mph, and there was a noticeable cough/dip/step at 4.5k rpm when accelerating in top on the motorway.

Concerning that the sale guy ‘agreed’ it could be the VTec when I mistakenly assumed this model had it.

Lovely looking bike though!

2a584dc35129d8d748d2106bda704c0b.jpg

Erm that’s a Crossrunner ....

Only joking:p

Please tell me that the sales guy wasn't working in a Honda showroom ?

I’m still gutted that the fuelling felt off. Is it worth taking an older one out? I could probably run to a ‘13 model within my budet

Back
Top Bottom