November Wander - France (or somewhere) - 8-9 November

Wapping

Reaction score
I have been persuaded (at my age you'd think I'd know better) to repeat a November jaunt.

In past years we have been to France, to Belgium and to Luxembourg, usually in the dry and sometimes in the very cold.

Plan:

1. Train out at about 10:00 / 10:30 on Saturday morning.

2. Train back at around 19:30 on Sunday. Fingers crossed we will be on an earlier train, I just want to build in some leeway, improving options on what we might do and / or on the weather.

3. Destination.... Not sure yet.... Albert, Verdun, St Quentin, Laon or somewhere like that.

4. Staying in? A Logis hotel, probably.

5. Number of bikes? Six in total, including me. A couple of pillions, too.

6. Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorcycle. Obviously it may well be cold, so be prepared. Rural France is definitely no warmer than rural England, that's for sure.

7. Roads to be ridden? We will need to keep an eye on the time and maybe the weather, so probably a mixture of the faster D and N roads and some motorway stuff. This largely depends on where we go and what time we leave. I will prepare Garmin friendly GPS routes for everyone.

Ping up interest here, first come first served.

Richard

Loan is off the list. Hotel I wanted to use is full.

Not surprising as it is Armistice weekend.

Loan is off the list. Hotel I wanted to use is full.

Not surprising as it is Armistice weekend.

Ibis not available Richard? I stayed there in the summer, it's cheap & pretty well located.

At the risk of being in a rut, we'll go back to St Quentin.

Why?

I want somewhere that offers a good choice of return routes, just in case the weather really isn't kind to us. Similarly, we can take a slightly longer route down if the weather is good.

The hotel is 'good value'.

I fancy trying the Italan / pizza restaurant.

I can get the rooms on what is traditionally a busy weekend in the French calendar.

-----

Train tickets will be booked tomorrow.

UPDATE - Hotel and train times

(1) Hotel confirmed

The Florence hotel in St Quentin has confirmed my reservation.

• 4 Single rooms Standard at the rate of 42 eus. (All available)

• 2 Double rooms Grand Confort at the rate of 52 eus. (Both gone)

Full buffet breakfast 6,50 eus per person.
City taxe 0,45 eus per person.

http://www.hotel-le-florence.fr

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Le...id=3083395463736544447&gl=GB&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A

(2) Train booked

OUT Saturday 09 November 2013 - Departure time 10:50

BACK Sunday 10 November 2013 - Departure time 19:20

(3) Remaining rooms

So, we have four single rooms free. I can maybe get us some additional rooms and / or another double, providing I know soon enough.

Richard

Hi Richard, may be up for this if you have spac still. Any possibility of a double if I can convince the better half?

Hi Brian, happy to have you along.

You can certainly have the single room, as I know it's vacant.

Let me talk to the hotel to see what I can do about swapping a single for a double. I am away much of this weekend through to Wednesday, so don't panic if you don't hear anything. I think it will be OK.

Book your train ticket....

Richard

Hello Wanderers,

Away in Maastricht at the moment. Will be on the case sorting out rooms etc. on my return to Blighty.

Richard

On a curious note

I can not make this one and would be interested in another.

BUT

What trains form where to where?
I presume you are putting Bikes on the trains.

Malc

Back
Top Bottom