G450X (2010) newbie

Preloader

Reaction score
I've agreed to buy a G450X 2010, from a non BMW dealer. There is only 24hours on the clock, and it seems in mint condition. I have read all the horror stories such as "it will leave you stranded in the middle of traffic as the cut out kicks in and it wont re-start hot", "the Torque Limiter will go", and "70hr top end rebuild" etc, etc, but... I've taken leave of my senses and decided I want to give it a go.

There is a few youtube videos of folks out and about on them, and I think the bike looks class, both climbing out of a swamp and whistle clean on it's stand. There is even one of a guy riding a supermoto version giving full on up the road in a hill climb road time trial.

I use a KLX250S to commute 22miles into work everyday (mixed country twisties & urban) and do a bit of greenlining with the grandkids on their KTMs so I will not be thrashing the bike too much. But occasionally I will put in in a trailer and try some swampy forest tracks. Thus I am hoping that the full 70hr service will not be absolutely required.

Hopefully there will not be too many posts telling me I shoudda bought the 2006 CRF450X for the same money...

2010 models were meant to have had many of the issues sorted, plus they were sold with a comprehensive spares pack, incl akro exhaust, spare wheels, plastics etc. I was after one for a while but never quite got my act together in time.

They evolved into the husky te449 which a mate of mine has and thoroughly enjoys it.

Good luck on yours, and enjoy the ride!

I agree with Dave, the 70hr rebuild is only if you have it for competition use, or ride it like you stole it. I had one of the early ones and really enjoyed it.

Cheers from G450X (2010) newbie

Thanks for the encouragement! I can hardly wait to give it a spin and work on some preloading skills; but probably get stuck in a shugch.

The Dealer did not mention all the accessories, so he might not have been given them when the previous owner handed the bike over. The akro pipe is not fitted.

Are there any recalls for a March/April 2010 onwards bike? I did get the little Owner Manual/User Guide. But I will not get the manual CD as far as I know.

If I plonk it down on the Motorrad forecourt do you know what recall work (if any needed) may BMW do? Actually, I have the VIN so I'll give the local BMW Motorrad a call in the morning, and see if there is anything listed, but any heads up could be useful.

I've a 2009 G450X, the only recall I know of was to re-torque the stator bolts but I don't know how many years production were affected.

I've not used mine for a year or so due to lack of time, but I've had no problems with it that weren't caused by the previous owners lack of preventative maintenance.

The maintenance CD is essential, if you can't obtain an official copy it can be downloaded from the usual sites.

Based on what needed doing to my bike when you get it I would:
1. Remove the front wheel, and grease the axle (and replace, obviously!)
2. Inject grease into the swing arm pivot pin and do this after every outing.
3. Check the chain isn't too slack - BMW say the slack should be either 5 or 10mm (can't remember which and don't have the documents to hand). Dealers used to other offroad bikes tend to think the chain is far too tight.
4. Check all the exhaust system fasteners, particularly the exhaust can attachments.
5. Check the fasteners attaching the rear subframe. These do tend to work loose on a regular basis, so should be checked frequently.

Then ride and enjoy! By the way the reserve fuel light comes on when you've 1 litre left in the 8 litre tank, which gets you about 10 miles!
:thumby:

Like most enduro bikes, they have a small oil capacity that gets worked hard. So use a top-grade oil (as per handbook) and change it (+ filters) at least as often as the book says and the engine should go on for hundreds of hours without major work needed.

New owner setup...

1. Remove the front wheel, and grease the axle (and replace, obviously!)
Done. A little grey anti-seize paste was present but the whole assembly & bearings looked "dry". Now all greased up!https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgp3hwgksqyi5lm/frontAxel-G450X.JPG
2. Inject grease into the swing arm pivot pin and do this after every outing.
I don't have the tool to remove the steel cover (with the two holes) but removed the inner hex bolt, and injected lithium grease. A good bit went in, but did just fill a useless void? Do I need to get the cover off and release the bearing to grease?
3. Check the chain isn't too slack - BMW say the slack should be either 5 or 10mm (can't remember which and don't have the documents to hand). Dealers used to other offroad bikes tend to think the chain is far too tight.
Checked. It was OK.
4. Check all the exhaust system fasteners, particularly the exhaust can attachments.
I rode the bike today for the first time into work and noted quite a lot of vibration around 55/60mph on tarmac. I guess that loosens the fasteners. The OEM knobbly tyres are fitted, so I hope a more road style tyre tread will reduce that effect. I may consider rubbers on the foot pegs for road work.
5. Check the fasteners attaching the rear subframe. These do tend to work loose on a regular basis, so should be checked frequently.
As above.

Then ride and enjoy! By the way the reserve fuel light comes on when you've 1 litre left in the 8 litre tank, which gets you about 10 miles!
:thumby:

Thanks Andy. I had a good old fettle of all the switch gear, acerbic protectors, levers etc., and also now seem to have a reasonable grasp of how to start it efficiently. The battery maybe a little done so it can take a bit of turning, but it started well today after being parked up outside all day today (no rain). The saddle did not seem to be an issue on the 22 mile e/w trip. I don't know how much fuel it used today. If it does the same return trip tomorrow and takes a 5 litre top up then the petrol consumption is the same as my KLX250S9; so maybe 6 litre top up is more likely. Actually I could not wait, I just topped up the bike now and it took approximately 3.60 litres to top up.
An extra litre or so a day... comparing a 250cc plodder to a 450cc performance bike... pretty reasonable I think. I would not say I get into work any quicker... yet (as I the wee 250 is pinned a lot of the journey)... but definitely I get a lot more responsiveness and grin factor, and a bit of "bad boy vibes" from the noisier pipe! As I get used to the bike and fit better tyres for the job I should be topping the personal best OK.... and I have the yet back wood trails to look forward to. So far I'm delighted with the bike. :) Any more tips will be acted upon... Thanks everyone!

Like most enduro bikes, they have a small oil capacity that gets worked hard. So use a top-grade oil (as per handbook) and change it (+ filters) at least as often as the book says and the engine should go on for hundreds of hours without major work needed.

Cheers, I have ordered two hiflow oil filters, and after first road run 44miles today the oil level seems to be the same. I will keep checking & changing the oil. Thanks.

Pleased it's working out for you :thumb2. Touratech used to do a tool to remove the swingarm pivot cover thingy but it's not listed on the UK site anymore, however an angle grinder pin wrench also works. You only need that tool if you're going to remove the swingarm pivot and the swingarm itself.

The pivot itself is hollow at each end for about the first 3 inches, with a hole drilled into each of the cavities. As you pump grease into the ends it gets forced into the cavities, then out of the holes into the pivot points, thus lubricating the bearings etc. I tend to pump grease into each side until I see clean grease being pushed out from behind the swingarm at each side.

On fuel consumption I get around 12 miles per litre for a mix of trailriding and road riding.

The OEM oil screen covers on my bike seemed to be made of an even softer grade of cheese than most BMW parts, Touratech do replacements that are more robust but are a bit pricey.

http://shop.touratech.co.uk/oil-screen-lid-g450x-1-piece.html

I have had one for the last three years. Great bike. It can certainly get the power down with plenty of grip.
Oil & filter change and air filter clean after every other outing plus general check over.
Not worried about the 70 hr rebuild as don't think I punish it enough.
And before Greg chips in, it swims well :)

Hi!

I think this bike is much better than the reputation.
I rent one for 2 times in Mallorca for offroad riding in the Southeast.
Well suspension and
the engine with the injection works fantastic.
Good power in all rpms.

The seat is a bit hard because of the edges.

My friend has got one since 2 years, no problems.
Oh no once the nut of the clutch was unmounted.
Some chippings in the oil caused a fixation of the steering(timing?) chain.
He changed it. Okay.
Once he felt into a small river competely. Just some bubbles of him and the bike.
After drying ond 2 oil changes it rans without problems.

You still can buy it as an HUSKY 449 I suppose.

The special chain leading and the swingarm semms to made very good tracktion.

mike

Oil Strainers - front and rear.

The OEM oil screen covers on my bike seemed to be made of an even softer grade of cheese than most BMW parts, Touratech do replacements that are more robust but are a bit pricey.

http://shop.touratech.co.uk/oil-screen-lid-g450x-1-piece.html

I have replace the oil filter. I flattened it out and noted a sparking of tiny metallic particles here and there. I would prefer none, but I don't think there were too many for a bike just getting run in.
But what are the oil strainers?
Are they meant to be replaced as per the oil filter, or should I draw them out from the bike, clean and re-insert? What should I expect to see as a normal condition after 40 hours or so?

Thanks

I have replace the oil filter. I flattened it out and noted a sparking of tiny metallic particles here and there. I would prefer none, but I don't think there were too many for a bike just getting run in.
But what are the oil strainers?
Are they meant to be replaced as per the oil filter, or should I draw them out from the bike, clean and re-insert? What should I expect to see as a normal condition after 40 hours or so?

Thanks

Hey Preloader, still enjoying the bike I hope.
Just a quick note, the 2 oil strainers you speak of should be removed and cleaned each time you change the oil, I just spray them with aerosol brake cleaner to do this. It depends on where you source your filters and oil, but if you buy the OEM filter kit from your local BMW dealer you will receive four 'O' rings that need putting one on each end of the oil screen tubes.
Regards, Steve

Hey Preloader, still enjoying the bike I hope.
Just a quick note, the 2 oil strainers you speak of should be removed and cleaned each time you change the oil, I just spray them with aerosol brake cleaner to do this. It depends on where you source your filters and oil, but if you buy the OEM filter kit from your local BMW dealer you will receive four 'O' rings that need putting one on each end of the oil screen tubes.
Regards, Steve

Oh flip.... I have never even taken them out! It is the next job then!

Back
Top Bottom