100k on my 1200

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Broke through the 100,000 mile barrier on Friday and in a cracking place just north of Applecross. She has a pretty hard life, lives outside and just keeps on going. Every mile a winner:thumby:

Did I beat you to it Micky? :beerjug:

Attachments

• 100k.JPG
    100k.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,898
  • 100k1.JPG
    100k1.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,908
Well done on a 100k :thumb all your miles from new ?
Be interesting to see what you went through in terms of tyres/ pads running costs etc.
Is it still on the same clutch ??

Great achievement :clap

Excellent :beerjug:

Oh yeah, these 1200s are rubbish aren't they.. :rolleyes: :D

I don't keep a record of what I spend on the bike but here's what I've done. All the miles have done by myself.

The bike lives outside under a cover and gets washed occasionally. never been on an optimate or pampered like that. She's been ridden in pretty harsh environments and everything from + 50 degrees to -10 degrees and has never failed me out on the road. She's been hammered up and down the Dalton Highway 4 times, been on some pretty tough dirt roads and just soaks it up.

Serviced by Clarks until end of warranty then fettled by Steptoe, Jonno at ABW and myself.
Final drive propshaft failed at 19k and changed under warranty
2 FD rebuilds. The 1st at 73k because I thought I should and not because it was knackered. The 2nd at 90k because the rear wheel went out of true on an Alaskan trip last year and it was 10,000 miles before I could get it sorted and I just figured that there must have been bearing damage in there.
Clutch change at 73k again because I just figured she needed it. Turns out the plates were about half worn.
Gearbox failure at 73k and second hand one bought from Sherlocks. The dog clutch failed and destroyed the innards. I've not heard of this before or since.
3 batteries and now on a Motobatt. None have failed though and I change them when I detect a weakness on starting.
She is on her second set of discs and I think I'm on my 3rd set of pads which are still good after 3 trips to Alaska and about 30k.
I don't standardise on tyres and shove on whatever I can get at a good price or used off here. I have K60's on at the moment which are superb but have a set of second hand Dunlop Trailmax sitting here ready to go on as and when.
I always use Putoline 20/50 engine oil and change it every 6/8000 miles as well as the FD oil.
I have Ohlins suspension all round and a power commander 111 which is set up for lots of torque.

That's about it I think:thumby:

Broke through the 100,000 mile barrier on Friday and in a cracking place just north of Applecross. She has a pretty hard life, lives outside and just keeps on going. Every mile a winner:thumby:

Did I beat you to it Micky? :beerjug:

Micky certainly announced it first but think it's a photo finish as to who actually got there first.

Big congratulations though, a major achievement in my book.

I don't keep a record of what I spend on the bike but here's what I've done. All the miles have done by myself.

The bike lives outside under a cover and gets washed occasionally. never been on an optimate or pampered like that. She's been ridden in pretty harsh environments and everything from + 50 degrees to -10 degrees and has never failed me out on the road. She's been hammered up and down the Dalton Highway 4 times, been on some pretty tough dirt roads and just soaks it up.

Serviced by Clarks until end of warranty then fettled by Steptoe, Jonno at ABW and myself.
Final drive propshaft failed at 19k and changed under warranty
2 FD rebuilds. The 1st at 73k because I thought I should and not because it was knackered. The 2nd at 90k because the rear wheel went out of true on an Alaskan trip last year and it was 10,000 miles before I could get it sorted and I just figured that there must have been bearing damage in there.
Clutch change at 73k again because I just figured she needed it. Turns out the plates were about half worn.
Gearbox failure at 73k and second hand one bought from Sherlocks. The dog clutch failed and destroyed the innards. I've not heard of this before or since.
3 batteries and now on a Motobatt. None have failed though and I change them when I detect a weakness on starting.
She is on her second set of discs and I think I'm on my 3rd set of pads which are still good after 3 trips to Alaska and about 30k.
I don't standardise on tyres and shove on whatever I can get at a good price or used off here. I have K60's on at the moment which are superb but have a set of second hand Dunlop Trailmax sitting here ready to go on as and when.
I always use Putoline 20/50 engine oil and change it every 6/8000 miles as well as the FD oil.
I have Ohlins suspension all round and a power commander 111 which is set up for lots of torque.

That's about it I think:thumby:

Nice one. I just wanted to compare real world with mickys 800 to the 100k like tyres/ pads etc . 9 sets of pads on the lighter 800 kind of amazed me, especially with one set of fronts.
You'd think the heavier more powerful bike would go through more pads tyres etc but a lot down to riding style and how low you take your pads and tyres I guess. Interesting though. ;) you've had more failure parts but the 800 is on a chain so maybe works out the same ish.

I enjoy reading about bikes/cars that get used and well looked after but not pampered and ponced with.
Everything added to the bike has a purpose, and not just for show because it's shiney or it's the latest "must have" that everyone else is fitting. :thumb2

Well Dons Sgt, great to see a bike getting used properly :thumby:

Congrats Chris :thumb

You rolled round to the 100K on the Friday, not until Saturday for me :nenau

When was it registered? Mine has taken five and a half years, are you over or under :D

Interesting ... Putoline 20/50 I've only ever used Putoline 10/40 Obviously different grades for the air cooled/oil cooled motors, but certainly a heads up for Putoline methinks :thumb

One props shaft, two final drives, one clutch, one gearbox to six chains'n sprockets :eek:

Mine sleeps out too ...

Well done again :JB

:beerjug:

1st registered 15/9/06 Micky so you have done yours quicker than me although I've done big trips on other bikes in between and I have a job to go to:D

I'm not too bothered about the extra costs as I've always budgeted for the services and odd FD rebuild and the gearbox was just one of those things. When things happen, I just get them sorted and move on. I've got Ohlins fitted which were very pricey but well worth the investment when the OEM shocks got a bit woolly. Got some other farkles on but all for a good reason and teh bike is now perfect for me.

I'm mechanically sympathetic to the old girl so can generally catch things before they come an issue and although I ride it hard, I don't thrash the tits off it. As Steptoe quite rightly says, this is the best way of getting a long life out of your steed. I think if more people rode their bikes instead of worrying about leaving them outside in the rain or having boot marks on the frame, there would be fewer problems:thumb2

I think both Sgt Bilco and Micky are mistaken.

I've read a LOT of things on this site and it is obvious to anyone that the only bikes capable fo high mileages without regular breakdowns are the 1100's and 1150's, preferebly the Adv models. These were the bikes made when BMW made proper bikes, you see.

So you must either be lying about the repeated breakdowns and failures, or mistaken as to what kind of bike you really have. Which is it? I think we should be told ...

I trust you intend getting new tyres & a service done before you head to San Francisco? :augie

Congrats Chris :thumb

You rolled round to the 100K on the Friday, not until Saturday for me :nenau

When was it registered? Mine has taken five and a half years, are you over or under :D

Interesting ... Putoline 20/50 I've only ever used Putoline 10/40 Obviously different grades for the air cooled/oil cooled motors, but certainly a heads up for Putoline methinks :thumb

One props shaft, two final drives, one clutch, one gearbox to six chains'n sprockets :eek:

Mine sleeps out too ...

Well done again :JB

Well done both:clap:clap

Proper Riders:JB:JB

I think both Sgt Bilco and Micky are mistaken.

I've read a LOT of things on this site and it is obvious to anyone that the only bikes capable fo high mileages without regular breakdowns are the 1100's and 1150's, preferebly the Adv models. These were the bikes made when BMW made proper bikes, you see.

So you must either be lying about the repeated breakdowns and failures, or mistaken as to what kind of bike you really have. Which is it? I think we should be told ...

Obviously the speedo's are over reading by 2 or 4 times as much as they should.... :D

1st registered 15/9/06 Micky so you have done yours quicker than me although I've done big trips on other bikes in between and I have a job to go to:D

I'm not too bothered about the extra costs as I've always budgeted for the services and odd FD rebuild and the gearbox was just one of those things. When things happen, I just get them sorted and move on. I've got Ohlins fitted which were very pricey but well worth the investment when the OEM shocks got a bit woolly. Got some other farkles on but all for a good reason and teh bike is now perfect for me.

I'm mechanically sympathetic to the old girl so can generally catch things before they come an issue and although I ride it hard, I don't thrash the tits off it. As Steptoe quite rightly says, this is the best way of getting a long life out of your steed. I think if more people rode their bikes instead of worrying about leaving them outside in the rain or having boot marks on the frame, there would be fewer problems:thumb2

Lightweight .... you've had almost two years start on me :p

I've been running the Xcountry for the last couple of years along with it ... another 13,000 miles ;)

I'm also not too bothered about the extra cost of changing the pads, tyres, chains, sprockets and head bearings earlier than probably required :thumb

Agree with you and Steppers also about the mechanical sympathy ... I can hear, I can feel, what mood she's in. She's been razzed round der Nürburgring, mountain passes, deserts and mountain trails, but always with an ear to what she's saying :rob

Back
Top Bottom