K1100R

To be continued.....

How and when, I'm not too sure! :blast

Whilst I have the "family gene" required to polish within an inch of its life, I'm not quite so talented with a spanner as Mike was. It recently took several emails and phone calls for him to talk me through replacing the electric fan motor and the pushrod rubber boot on my K75s! Which for him was a piece of piss, for me..... NOT so simple :D

Mike gave me a few options. Amongst them.....
1. Sell it in its current state.
2. Over time continue his work and finish it, with the assistance of all his previous rebuild threads and the Haynes book!
3.Pay for the work to be completed sooner than I could do it myself.

Or..... 4, Wheel it outside and torch it!

Whichever way it goes you'll all be the first to know! :thumb2

How and when, I'm not too sure! :blast

Whilst I have the "family gene" required to polish within an inch of its life, I'm not quite so talented with a spanner as Mike was. It recently took several emails and phone calls for him to talk me through replacing the electric fan motor and the pushrod rubber boot on my K75s! Which for him was a piece of piss, for me..... NOT so simple :D

Mike gave me a few options. Amongst them.....
1. Sell it in its current state.
2. Over time continue his work and finish it, with the assistance of all his previous rebuild threads and the Haynes book!
3.Pay for the work to be completed sooner than I could do it myself.

Or..... 4, Wheel it outside and torch it!

Whichever way it goes you'll all be the first to know! :thumb2

Option 2, no Haynes manual needed, just post a pic and ask what needs to be done........it would be fitting :)

EDIT.....I've just re-read the entire thread, as I'm sure many others will, and I think his bike will become a classic..

It's certainly a testament to Mike's spirit and although we all know what caused the gaps and perhaps his almost anal attention to detail and quality on this resto job, that only goes to add weight to it being finished if at all possible :)

:agree:agree

If you can make number 2 happen that would be great, this bike really deserves to be finished what with all the great work that's been done. :cool:

ecnirpr,

apparently ...

... these things are a bit like Meccano toys - ideal for amateur bodgers like me but not much of a challenge to anyone with real abilities.
You should have no trouble. :augie
:D

Good Luck and of course - keep us posted. :beerjug:
~~
Og

i didnt know mike but always read his rebuild threads,i love to see old bikes being brought back from the scrap pile.
it would be a huge shame for this machine to remain unfinished.
if i can be of any assistance shout up:thumby:
mike

Just a suggestion...

If all the parts are to hand and ready to be fitted i'm sure a few of us would be more than happy to spend a weekend putting it all back together, many hands make light work etc.
I've put more than enough K bikes together over the last 25 years, and would be more than happy to use my knowledge to help... just needs somewhere we could all doss for the weekend.. A weekend to remember Mike, do something useful, eat, drink and have a good laugh..

And depending on what Ryan and Mike discussed obviously, but perhaps sell it on ukgser and donate some of the money to the charities Mike wanted supported.

Another suggestion for a long term option....... get everything to Sids place/workshop in Devon ready for next years gentlemans wee kend event and put it together over that weekend.....

Great idea... I'm useless ... But can fetch/run/carry/make tea/ sarnies... If I can help..

I live an hour North of Plymouth; happy to provide slumber space for a work party if required ...

I'm in on that as well. Live about an hour away from Sids.
I too can run, fetch and carry with confidence and alacrity:thumb2
I have slumber space for a few Tossers as well.

...and I've just spend a pleasant 90 minutes reading it thru again. Cheers Mike :bow

Great thread, didn’t realised he had passed, but I see he asked not to have RIP next to his name as is usual. Such a shame and a huge loss of great talent. What happened to the bike? Did it get finished?

I popped the throttle bodies and airbox back on. It seemed a better way to keep crap out of the intakes than bits of paper towel stuffed in them:

K1100LT%20%28386%29-L.jpg

It's so much easier to connect things like the crankcase breather pipe when it's like this:

K1100LT%20%28387%29-L.jpg

Plus the timing chain case breather:

K1100LT%20%28388%29-L.jpg

So there's no excuse but to get on with the various engine covers. Those with bare ali highlights, I first set about polishing the highlights. It's easier to then remove masking or paint from a smooth polished surface later. Good old grit blocks (the bit up to the 'W' is done):

K1100LT%20%28390%29-L.jpg

Then the paint can be flatted/keyed with 400 grit paper followed by a wash and degrease:

K1100LT%20%28389%29-L.jpg

Once dry and any masking done, they have a swift, light squirt of satin black:

K1100LT%20%28391%29-L.jpg

Then the coats are built-up:

K1100LT%20%28392%29-L.jpg

The front covers done, just need to fully harden and then they can have a buff with polish:

K1100LT%20%28398%29-L.jpg

In between coats of paint I decided that it was time to fit the replacement bearing and seal to the final drive. First job was to pop the crown wheel into the freezer for an hour, then out with the old pan and heat the new bearing:

K1100LT%20%28393%29-L.jpg

The chilled crown wheel resting in the vice ready for the toasty bearing:

K1100LT%20%28394%29-L.jpg

The toasty bearing slips over with a satisfying sizzle. It needed just a light tapping fully home (tapping on the inner of the race only).

K1100LT%20%28395%29-L.jpg

The new seal pressed in:

K1100LT%20%28396%29-L.jpg

Then the bearing (and shims) can go into the housing and the cover screwed and torqued down with a new O-ring in this case.

K1100LT%20%28397%29-L.jpg

A nice new clutch friction plate arrived yesterday morning so that means that I can get on with more reassembly:

K1100LT%20%28401%29-L.jpg

The gearbox input shaft splines got a final clean and lubed with Optimol TA paste:

K1100LT%20%28403%29-L.jpg

Then the gearbox can go back on (much easier when you don't have to slip it between the rear frame mountings):

K1100LT%20%28404%29-XL.jpg

The six screws are surprising low torque settings (16 Nm). Anyway, now I can add an old scissor jack under the gearbox and at a few turns at a time, raise both engine and gearbox:

K1100LT%20%28405%29-XL.jpg

To re-fit the stands:

K1100LT%20%28406%29-L.jpg

That'll do for now.
Hi mike, just looking through this old thread on your K bike restauration. I wondered what paint you use for all the satin back on frame and engine parts . just starting on a r1100gs and I want to do engine parts blackened thought I would try painting frame parts instead of powder coat this time. any info would be gratefully received . Cheers

Hi mike, just looking through this old thread on your K bike restauration. I wondered what paint you use for all the satin back on frame and engine parts . just starting on a r1100gs and I want to do engine parts blackened thought I would try painting frame parts instead of powder coat this time. any info would be gratefully received . Cheers
Mike’s no longer with us…. He lost his battle with cancer some time ago 😌

Back
Top Bottom