Wet Leathers/ waterproofs

jmg21

Reaction score
Just went two up on the new gs1200 TE. All set up with two on computer and wet road. Went 13miles and top of legs very wet on RHS. Water flying up between exhaust and frame. Pillion passenger now has very wet and dirty back. Not impressed as sold as a enduro/ tourer...! Wouldn't have liked to have travelled further with a wet road. luckily it wasn't raining.......

... They all do that, my airhead, my 1150, my HP2 - if I ride them on wet roads (even when it's not raining) parts of me will get wet.

I'm not sure if it's BMW's fault, I think it's more to do with being outside when the conditions are wet

If you think the GS is bad try an Explorer..... I think they incorporated a scoop in the design to channel water and crap up the pillion's back ;)

Just went two up on the new gs1200 TE. All set up with two on computer and wet road. Went 13miles and top of legs very wet on RHS. Water flying up between exhaust and frame. Pillion passenger now has very wet and dirty back. Not impressed as sold as a enduro/ tourer...! Wouldn't have liked to have travelled further with a wet road. luckily it wasn't raining.......

There's definitely something "special" about the way the GS lobs dirty water up when it's wet. I rode 40 minutes in the rain coming home from my 1st service, and got so dirty I had to wash all my textiles. I've done 2000 mile tours of Scotland on other bikes, where it rained every day for a week, and got less dirty than 40 minutes on the GS, and that's not an exaggeration.

I'm hoping the Mudsling controls the spray a bit when it comes out. If not, my GS with ABS, traction, rain mode and heated grips will stay in the garage on wet days, and I'll use my XT660 which has no comfort or safety features at all but does mean I don't arrive at my destination looking like a mud monster! :D

There's definitely something "special" about the way the GS lobs dirty water up when it's wet. I rode 40 minutes in the rain coming home from my 1st service, and got so dirty I had to wash all my textiles. I've done 2000 mile tours of Scotland on other bikes, where it rained every day for a week, and got less dirty than 40 minutes on the GS, and that's not an exaggeration.

I'm hoping the Mudsling controls the spray a bit when it comes out. If not, my GS with ABS, traction, rain mode and heated grips will stay in the garage on wet days, and I'll use my XT660 which has no comfort or safety features at all but does mean I don't arrive at my destination looking like a mud monster! :D

Simples, BMW need to add a sticker on the tank and repeat in the manual

WARNING
"Riding the Motorcycle when it is raining or the road is wet may cause the rider and/or pillion to get water spray on their clothes"

:hide

OK. For all the smart-arses with their "It's a bike, what do you expect?" responses, why didn't I get ANY spray back from my K1300S, XT660, ZX6R, Street Triple, F800S, Sportster, Sprint 955...

If there's something inherent in the GS design that means it's unavoidable then a response of "It's because of X and Y", "You can buy product X to sort it" or even "Yes, it's a real nuisance" would be much more helpful than "Duh, it's a bike".

You can't win on this forum. If you rave about something, people jump on you for being blind to all the faults and if you complain about something not being good enough, the same people accuse you of being naive and having unrealistic expectations :blast

OK. For all the smart-arses with their "It's a bike, what do you expect?" responses, why didn't I get ANY spray back from my K1300S, XT660, ZX6R, Street Triple, F800S, Sportster, Sprint 955...

If there's something inherent in the GS design that means it's unavoidable then a response of "It's because of X and Y", "You can buy product X to sort it" or even "Yes, it's a real nuisance" would be much more helpful than "Duh, it's a bike".

You can't win on this forum. If you rave about something, people jump on you for being blind to all the faults and if you complain about something not being good enough, the same people accuse you of being naive and having unrealistic expectations :blast

:comfort

Perhaps Mr Hooton could come up with some stainless panels that could deflect the tyre spray away or protect the rider/ pillion passengers legs in the absence of a mudslinger

The OP has a point!

Sorry peeps, but in my opinion, the OP has a valid point. The 'open' design (be it technical or mere styling) means that there is one hell of a lot of road crap flung up from the back wheel and onto the legs and back of the rider & pillion. i have fitted BMW's optional plastic panels with a limited amount of success. And am now wondering if a hugger of some description is needed to improve things.

Perhaps other bikes do it too. Perhaps other bikes are better. But advice on a way of limiting the crap flung up from the back wheel of a GS LC would be appreciated by me (and, I assume, the OP).

Is this "problem" much worse than the outgoing 1200? I never found the old 1200 a problem in this regard.

Maybe it is best that you:

a) don't take your 1200 off road / in the mud
b) use a car when it is raining
c) don't get an enduro bike for off roading.
d) get some decent waterproofs

The OP lives in Ireland, a country not know for its particularly dry climate, especially this time of year !!!!!

As soon as the mudsling is available the problem will dry up......

Now FFS stop moaning about a bit of water

:)

With the R1200GS Classic model (AKA the Hexhead) many people claimed that the funny rear bumper thing that sticks out over the back wheel increases the amount of spray directed at the rider's and pillion's legs.

Try removing it and see if it works.

I haven't removed mine, as I don't have a problem with spray.

I do wonder if English is a second language to some of you people! The OP was not complaining about getting wet whilst riding a motorbike. If he had been I might have joined in with a sarcastic remark or two. What he actually reported was that on a particular type of motorcycle he experienced an unusual (from his experience) amount of water coming up from wet roads. Others have said that this is normal on all GS models, that is certainly not my experience with my 1150. Sadly I have limited experience on later models due almost entirely to a fiscal shortfall.

So, instead of posting in an attempt to look clever (and failing) or funny (it's not) read the post carefully, look up the big words in a dictionary, maybe ask an adult to explain it for you.

There have been post on here that richly deserved derision but no this one. I, for one, would be interested in discussion as to the possible causes-who knows I might be able to afford a new GS one day. Do the rest of you lucky bastards owing the latest GS have this problem. If so does a decent hugger solve it and it so why don't they fit one as standard.

John

Hi. I noticed this as well. There are plastic frame inserts available direct from BMW. I think they are called the extended mudguard kit. I have them on mine and they are very effective at all but eliminating the spray issues you describe. Hope this 'helps' ;)

I'd ask for my money back......
Surely BMW haven't taken your prescise situation into consideration..... Therefore you'd be quite right and reasonable in asking for your money back....

Granny Magnet.

Back
Top Bottom