R1200GS wasserhead polycarbonate headlight guard

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, following some requests by some of us I`ve redesigned the LC headlight guard to use a sheet of Makrolon instead of the grille type I did earlier.

Sorry, I can`t remember which ones of us asked for the `clear` variant but here it is:

I`ve compared it to what I think is the best similar product available and IMHO it knocks spots off it (I guess I would say that but please make your own minds up) and its at a significantly lower price too - 55 quid inc the dreaded VAT.

TBH you were right - it does seem a great alternative to the metal grille version. Its not the stick on one - rather its supported off the lens by well made strong brackets.

Available on the site now www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Also fits the 2014 Adventure

i-LpRZczg.jpg

I am also liking that Mark. :thumb2 How much space between the cover and the lamp?

Thanks for that - I think the reason I was struggling to get positive suggestions was that I wasn't coming up with the right thing!

Gap? I think it's 10mm plus - izzat ok????

Yeah good point - I think I'm gonna put some spacers in between to allow a better gap but no where near enough for a sponge but I'm sure enough for some access

Ta miff - I guess I'm gonna say this but it's up there with the rad covers - I haven't scrimped a penny on it and it's put together lovely - the polycarbonate isn't polycarbonate it's makrolon.....

" Makrolon is virtually unbreakable, lightweight with glass-like transparency and is impact resistant - even at extremely low temperatures."

Ta miff - I guess I'm gonna say this but it's up there with the rad covers - I haven't scrimped a penny on it and it's put together lovely - the polycarbonate isn't polycarbonate it's makrolon.....

" Makrolon is virtually unbreakable, lightweight with glass-like transparency and is impact resistant - even at extremely low temperatures."

Is it scratch resistant?

Is it scratch resistant?

Now then Nuts how ya doing?

Well TBH I would only consider it `scratch resistant` as far as any plastic can go - what I can tell you is that as far as `plaggy` goes its at the top of the tree and to exactly the same spec as the stuff TT use on theirs - with my little understanding there is `polycarbonate` and there is `posh polycarbonate`like this Makrolon stuff - to me it seems good clobber and what I did notice was how `clear` it was.

here`s the blurb on it - knock yourself out eh?

Makrolon® polycarbonate product description

What do medical devices, automotive headlamps, sporting equipment, electronics, DVDs, eyewear, architectural glazing and LED lighting have in common? They’re among the diverse applications that rely on Makrolon® polycarbonate produced by Bayer MaterialScience, a high-performance thermoplastic that affects many lives on a daily basis. With an outstanding balance of properties, polycarbonate is one of the most versatile and successful thermoplastics ever.

Makrolon® Polycarbonate
Makrolon® polycarbonate

The high-performance and sustainable properties of Makrolon® polycarbonate (PC) make it a go-to material for applications in diverse industries.

Manufacturers rely on Makrolon® polycarbonate's unique combinations of properties. It is virtually unbreakable, lightweight with glass-like transparency and is impact resistant – even at extremely low temperatures. It has a high dimensional stability and is easily molded, yet has excellent heat resistance with a glass transition temperature of up to 148ºC.

Bayer offers a broad portfolio of Makrolon® polycarbonate resins. These include general purpose, lighting, medical and food contact, flame-retardant, impact-modified and glass-fiber reinforced grades. These grades can be used for injection molding, extrusion and blow molding, in a range of markets including automotive and transportation, construction, electronics, medical, lighting and optical data storage.

General purpose grades are offered in transparent, translucent and opaque colors and supplied in granular form. Furthermore, special colors can also be developed upon request, for general purpose and for most special grades.

Products made out of polycarbonate boast a long life and allow efficient reusability. Stronger and lighter than glass, polycarbonate also provides energy and CO2 emmision savings. Furthermore, it reduces product losses due to breakage during distribution and use. Most post-production waste is mechanically recycled into “recyclate grade” polycarbonate blends.

Makrolon® polycarbonate, approved and trusted for decades, continues to pave the way for tomorrow's product innovations.

Now then Nuts how ya doing?

Well TBH I would only consider it `scratch resistant` as far as any plastic can go - what I can tell you is that as far as `plaggy` goes its at the top of the tree and to exactly the same spec as the stuff TT use on theirs - with my little understanding there is `polycarbonate` and there is `posh polycarbonate`like this Makrolon stuff - to me it seems good clobber and what I did notice was how `clear` it was.

here`s the blurb on it - knock yourself out eh?

Makrolon® polycarbonate product description

What do medical devices, automotive headlamps, sporting equipment, electronics, DVDs, eyewear, architectural glazing and LED lighting have in common? They’re among the diverse applications that rely on Makrolon® polycarbonate produced by Bayer MaterialScience, a high-performance thermoplastic that affects many lives on a daily basis. With an outstanding balance of properties, polycarbonate is one of the most versatile and successful thermoplastics ever.

Makrolon® Polycarbonate
Makrolon® polycarbonate

The high-performance and sustainable properties of Makrolon® polycarbonate (PC) make it a go-to material for applications in diverse industries.

Manufacturers rely on Makrolon® polycarbonate's unique combinations of properties. It is virtually unbreakable, lightweight with glass-like transparency and is impact resistant – even at extremely low temperatures. It has a high dimensional stability and is easily molded, yet has excellent heat resistance with a glass transition temperature of up to 148ºC.

Bayer offers a broad portfolio of Makrolon® polycarbonate resins. These include general purpose, lighting, medical and food contact, flame-retardant, impact-modified and glass-fiber reinforced grades. These grades can be used for injection molding, extrusion and blow molding, in a range of markets including automotive and transportation, construction, electronics, medical, lighting and optical data storage.

General purpose grades are offered in transparent, translucent and opaque colors and supplied in granular form. Furthermore, special colors can also be developed upon request, for general purpose and for most special grades.

Products made out of polycarbonate boast a long life and allow efficient reusability. Stronger and lighter than glass, polycarbonate also provides energy and CO2 emmision savings. Furthermore, it reduces product losses due to breakage during distribution and use. Most post-production waste is mechanically recycled into “recyclate grade” polycarbonate blends.

Makrolon® polycarbonate, approved and trusted for decades, continues to pave the way for tomorrow's product innovations.

I think that answered my question!:eek::thumb:D

Your gear looks great Mark, and well priced. As an 1150 owner would love to see more kit for us 'oldies'

Me likeeee a lot:clap
Its just a pain in the arse trying to clean behind it ,Ever thought of trying some sort of bracket that you can flip it up or down mark for us anal polishers?:flag

Me likeeee a lot:clap
Its just a pain in the arse trying to clean behind it ,Ever thought of trying some sort of bracket that you can flip it up or down mark for us anal polishers?:flag

no I haven`t mate but to be honest I`ve got a whole pile of stuff which kind people have suggested but simply haven`t been `taken up`. But anyway, there`s a big chunk of space between the lends and the headlight to get sponges and stuff down there to clean

Back
Top Bottom