P-Line Tuning Chip 2001 ABS 1150GS

scrichton

Reaction score
Has anyone had any use of these chips? I'm away to fit an exhaust, y-pipe and filter and have seen these here.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eprom-Tun...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item25874dfc9c

However if there is another one people can recommend I'd really appreciate it as something like the Rhinewest seems prohibitively expensive just now.

Exhaust system will be a remus and I'll probably go with a k&n for the filter.

Steven

Save your money with the K & N. OE is just fine, & filters well.

I managed to get the y pipe and the exhaust for next to nothing, so the logical steps are to let the inlet breathe more easily. Then map it accordingly. Also with the extra noise in town maybe people will take note, even in head to toe high viz and running lights it would appear that the Edinburgh driver still would like a kill to take back to their kids!

The other hope is that the low speed surge dies down a little with a remap. As most of my driving is in the town I notice it a lot with the colder air.

Try the new exhaust before doing anything else. Bought mine as standard which ran very badly at low revs.

Changing to Remus made it perfect. Suspect the bike may have been set up with the performance exhaust when I bought it.

Maybe yours too.

The time, effort and money spent will bring you the total sum of lots of extra noise, and feck all else.

2nc1k75.jpg

I managed to get the y pipe and the exhaust for next to nothing, so the logical steps are to let the inlet breathe more easily. Then map it accordingly. Also with the extra noise in town maybe people will take note, even in head to toe high viz and running lights it would appear that the Edinburgh driver still would like a kill to take back to their kids!

The other hope is that the low speed surge dies down a little with a remap. As most of my driving is in the town I notice it a lot with the colder air.

What makes you think the OE filter & intake system do not pass enough air ?

What makes you think the OE filter & intake system do not pass enough air ?

I don't think he mentioned an intake system.

If the K&N filter maintains an increased pressure in the inlets - then it stands to reason a larger mass of air/oxygen will be present. That allows a larger mass of fuel to be burned................. and the remap will optimise the fuel/air.

The K&N type filter certainly isn't more restrictive than an OEM paper filter (when new) and a couple of thousand miles down the road - will not have deteriorated as much as the paper filter. (deteriorated - in as much as it has become partially blocked)

Not sure what you mean by "enough" air, though

Al

I don't think he mentioned an intake system.

If the K&N filter maintains an increased pressure in the inlets - then it stands to reason a larger mass of air/oxygen will be present. That allows a larger mass of fuel to be burned................. and the remap will optimise the fuel/air.

The K&N type filter certainly isn't more restrictive than an OEM paper filter (when new) and a couple of thousand miles down the road - will not have deteriorated as much as the paper filter. (deteriorated - in as much as it has become partially blocked)

Not sure what you mean by "enough" air, though

Al

"Let the inlet breathe more easily" - to me it implied a perceived inefficiency on the part of the OE inlet tract & filter. If the OE filter is adequate, & empirical evidence is that it is more than adequate, what gains are hoped for ? I also do not believe that an OE filter after say 3,000 miles of normal road useage, will in any way be hindering machine performance. It's wasted money, IMO, & will do nothing for the performance. Your opinion of course, may differ, which is your prerogative.

Having been on a bike today with a ypipe k&n and a remap I can say the difference is amazing, hence my desire to do this. The biggest difference is in town low speed driving. Roll on roll off is smoother as the ECU doesn't think you are going to over fuel above emissions guidelines and cut the fuel.

Also as I have a filter cleaning kit already good for 3 cleans.. The k&n issue really doesn't need discussion. 2 service intervals and the cost is no more or less and there is no wastage. Also k&n's do flow a lot more at higher revs. Even with high mileage, otherwise no one would buy them. I doubt many Motorsport teams use paper filters.

The louder pipes are not for the benefit of traffic more for pedestrians and cyclists. As I drive through the direct centre which is a double blind mound it is all too common for the rafts of tourists to walk out with headphones in.. A bit of boom let's them know I am coming at least. Even at 5mph I have had people looking the other way literally run out causing me to have to swerve. Try Edinburgh's cyclists too... I as a previous pedaller in london had a great respect for looking. Here though it is rare to see someone check things. Usual things like red lights are ran and one junction I pass daily is a double lane double blind. So every little helps. It is alas the modernisation of a 14th century area that means visibility is always compromised.

Anyway, has anyone tried the p-line chips? After a full service sync etc .. The fuelling still isn't ideal out of the box. Motronics apart from Porsche have always been problematic. I have tried the inline resistor on the airbox, which is OK, but on colder mornings the warmup is a little problematic until 3 bars are reached on the gauges.

If not, does anyone have any recommendations concerning chips for the 1150. I bought this bike as my last one was too fast. All too often I'd look down and be surprised as it was so smooth and quiet, so a smooth fuelling slightly noisier bike should tick all the boxes keep me in check and add a tiny bit more to others awareness of me. Loud pipes don't save lives, but they help a tiny little bit. Slow you down with the perception of speed as you have audible cues. Plus I like the sound ;)

I must be missing something here - you've already had a remap? where and when?

If you have - then why screw about with resistors and chips to alter the fuelling?

Al

No I have said I have ridden a remapped bike today. Which had the rhinewst chip. I currently have a stock bike. I have managed to get a y pipe and Remus system for £100. So what chips do people recommend and has anyone actually used one of these p-line chips? As there is a significant cost difference.

Having been on a bike today with a ypipe k&n and a remap I can say the difference is amazing, hence my desire to do this. The biggest difference is in town low speed driving. Roll on roll off is smoother as the ECU doesn't think you are going to over fuel above emissions guidelines and cut the fuel.

Also as I have a filter cleaning kit already good for 3 cleans.. The k&n issue really doesn't need discussion. 2 service intervals and the cost is no more or less and there is no wastage. Also k&n's do flow a lot more at higher revs. Even with high mileage, otherwise no one would buy them. I doubt many Motorsport teams use paper filters./QUOTE]

I also doubt that motorsport teams go 5 or 6 thousand miles, or several months, between maintenance cycles. There is a world of difference between the real world & motor sport. And I come back again "Why do you think the perceived extra flow from a K & N will make a hap'orth of difference in the real world ? "
The removal of the cat, if fitted, will make a difference.

I fitted a BB chip after fitting a y piece and Remus, it was smoother, more responsive and stopped a lot of the jerkiness. There are some good reports from the BB chips.

Thanks Carlos, I will Have to go and see if I can find a supplier now.

Martyn, from all accounts the GS cat is incredibly restrictive. It seems to be that only in the last couple of years companies have managed to make near free flow catalysts within reasonable cost, or maybe they have managed to optimise the palladium and platinumn stages to work with a higher surface area without having to be in a screen like filter.

It's a shame in many ways that it's easier for companies to produce less efficient engines and meet emissions with cats and effective strangulation at certain rev ranges rather than making the burn stage more effective, hopefully technology will soilder on in this way, as in the 70's it was well proven that high performance tuning was actually the most economical, after many nights reading books on a series tuning as a lad there was a lot of info on this!

Anyway slightly off topic. I'll see if I can source a bb chip price. Seems like motowerks also do one too that can use the RT induction tubes which give a massive torque gain due to a higher venturi. Plus as always a cleaner burn therefore lower fuel consumption which will be a great thing too.

I had an 1150 with k&n, full Remus and bob chip. It did not make it faster or better to ride.

It did make it very much louder though.

Did it do anything for the roll on and off at low speed? That is my main concern with the mods. Right now around the town I'm having to really roll in and out with the clutch a lot to control the major off throttle jerks in second. I'd say 15-20 are the worst points. Other than the weight the bike is perfect, but that snap as it cuts the fuel as you come off can be brutal in traffic situation.

I found the off idle response was always a bit sharp on 1150s. I can't recall it being improved by the mods. I just got used to it In the end.

The 1200 FI is miles better in this respect.

Don't tell me that! I tried a 1200 for weight today as the guy who had it was amazed how heavy the 1150 is.. It's just yet another reason to move up the way! Suppose I had better start trying to get some freelance work to stash cash to make it happen at this rate

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks Carlos, I will Have to go and see if I can find a supplier now.

Martyn, from all accounts the GS cat is incredibly restrictive. It seems to be that only in the last couple of years companies have managed to make near free flow catalysts within reasonable cost, or maybe they have managed to optimise the palladium and platinumn stages to work with a higher surface area without having to be in a screen like filter.
I totally agree about the cat issue. That will make a noticeable difference. Good luck with what ever you decide.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom