Triple ...........

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So ....

My mate Paul is a bike trader, he usually only deals trade to trade but occasionally he's offered something too good to refuse. This is a 2001 triumph TT legend 900cc triple which, when he bought it, wasn't running, but it was a steal so the deal was done.

Paul is very knowledgable about motorcycles but his mechanical skills leave a lot to be desired. He wanted to convert this bike to a bobber style but had only gotten as far as having a new starter fitted to it to get it running. Towards the end of last year he was starting to loose a bit of heart as in order to move things forward the work was going to need to get serious! I suggested initially that he could bring the bike to my workshop where he could come and work on it as and when he wanted, he'd have access to all my tools and equipment and I'd be on hand to help him out if he needed it.
In mid January the bike arrived. Paul had made a start already, the front and rear mudguards were removed, the chap who'd got it running for him had removed the air box and fitted cone filters.
Paul had also gotten brave with a hack saw and cut the rear subframe short to the length he really wanted it. Other than that it was pretty much stock. Paul had ideas on how he wanted it to look and had even bought a set of 9" Z bars ..........
Within an hour or so it became apparent that Paul would actually like me to do all the work for him from start to finish,
Time to get stuck in then I reckon!
The original plan was to strip the bike down to the frame and engine which Paul would then clean with his array of various chemicals.
I fairly quickly stripped the bike down and made plans for all the various components, either paint, plate, modify or replace.
In order to get the required look the wheels would need to be rebuilt. 16" front and rear with new wider black rims, chrome spokes and black powder coated original hubs.
The day came for Paul to come over to do his cleaning bit, the idea being that the bike could go up on the bench and be gradually built as and when the refurbished components were ready to go on etc
However while standing there pondering how well the original finishes would clean up we decided to just go the whole hog and refurbish absolutely everything. There won't be a single component, bolt or finish that'll remain untouched, essentially it'll be a fully refurbished custom (ish) bike.

Here she is, all butt ugly naked!

Inevitably the worst bit of the engine was around the exhaust studs (some of which came out voluntarily, some had to be persuaded)

The only absolute bastard was one alternator bolt which actually claimed the lives of no less than THREE T40 torque bits before I admitted defeat and got the grinder out ......

Sump

As with all projects, there's a period of initial tedious drudge of prep prep prep, it feels like a real slog with little achieved.
The engine is going to be finished in matt metallic grey and the frame and running gear all in gloss black.
The engine itself is powder coated in textured satin black, it's a bugger of a surface to work with.

Time to get suited up for a couple of hours in the blast room!

Then into the booth for a coat of etch primer

Now, the front sprocket cover is quite a large, bland casing which also has the clutch slave cylinder mounted to it, I suggested to Paul that maybe we do something with it, the cain + sprockets will be new so why not see a little of it ......

More ......

MUCH more to follow!:thumb

Very enjoyable read. I'll be following this. :thumb2

While you're cleaning, give your boots a going over. :D

And so to the chassis ......

The headstock had some bracketry welded to it which needed to go, out with the grinder and then on with the files, aside from that the main frame will remain unchanged ....

The swing arm is actually anodised dark blue so naturally it'll be painted.
I'm going to take the front mudguard and mount it on the swing arm to become the rear mudguard. It'll need to be flared slightly but I'll get to that later.
Before I start painting the swing arm I thought it prudent to drill and tap the mounting points for the mudguard .........

The top yoke was cast to allow for mounting of an ignition barrel and clock mount. This bike will have a single tiny clock and an ignition barren located elsewhere, so, to give a clean look to the front of the bike these additional lugs on the yoke were removed ......

And another session in the booth with the etch primer .............

These bits are all now in Ti high build primer (along with the previously shown engine parts) and are hardening up in the residual heat of my spray booth.

I'm out on an electrical job tomorrow ....... more on Tuesday!

After a frustrating day having a full service being done on my Van in my workshop (It got air in it's common rail system and refused to restart) I ended the day with some prep and paint, I needed something to show for such a crappy day!

It's nice to have crested the hill and to be getting components to their final finishes!

I also have the plating back but I forgot to photograph it, I'll be starting reassembly on Friday! :thumb

I'll get the rest of the chassis components in paint tomorrow!

Cor that paint looks lovely, really deep! Can't wait to see the assembly pics!!

You're a Legend, loving reading this. You don't do car alloys do you (serious question)

I found myself awake at 3am this morning, went downstairs for a drink and went back to bed. Within 5 minutes it became obvious I wasn't going to fall back asleep. So I quietly got up and made my way to work! (let the clock be my witness)

The bits I painted yesterday were baked off nicely so it was time to lift the engine off my ramp and prepare 'ground zero' for the build up!

With the booth now empty I set about finishing the prep of the rest of the chassis components. I'd already painted the rear spring and handlebars in their finished colour.

The forks originally had lugs for the front mudguard but this bike won't run one so I removed them and made the forks good.
They were originally sand cast alloy which were a brushed finish with a clear coat on top. Getting them 'right' was a real bugger, especially as they're now gloss black!

I use a full face visor mask which is air fed through a Hodge Clemco breathable air filter system. It's expensive but absolutely essential!
In the past I've nipped into the booth just to paint something very small, it hardly feels worth suiting up but believe me it really is, 2k will knock you for six!!

I run my booth at about 50 degrees for curing, modern 2k paints are so resilient and strong!!

The red glow is from my infa red booth heaters (as seen in some of the photos above)

By the time I got these in paint I was ready for a nap so I popped home while they baked off, made swmbo a culpa and had an hours kip. By the time I went back just after 9 they were cured off and ready for gentle handling!

I will give the top yoke, the fork lowers and the handlebar mounting hardware another coat of Black tomorrow, possible a third coat on the fork lowers, I'll see how they are in the morning. They're a big part of the look of the bike so need to be absolutely bang on!

I've just loosely dry assembled the bits for today, firstly because it's very satisfying but also it's a great way of keeping painted parts out of harms way, it's surprising how much room a dismantled bike takes up!

I'll get the new bearings and oil seals pressed into the drag link tomorrow and will then be able to reassemble the rear end!

Anyone else getting a series of question marks in the blue squares instead of photographs?

Just the last three seem to have gone.

Back
Top Bottom