Help! exhaust studs broken any other alternative ?

Happy New year to all ��
Just reviving old tread ...
Going true same problem 2 snapped studs on 1100 rt , try weld nut still wouldn't budge , anyway long story short ... if i drill studs out and damage tread what about tap out to next size M10 ? Anyone try this ?

I have drilled them out lots of time, a few times it's been slightly off centre, but I then used a helicoil kit, and it's been fine!

Use carbide drills, and centre punch it well, you may have to grind the stud flat first!

I'm going through this at the moment with my R1100GS, and reading about everyone else's past miseries is actually making me feel better :) I've booked it in for an MOT with local hexpensivo MOTORAAD and asked them to deal with the sheared stud and pull/replace all others while they're at it... now come the research for some better studs (stainless/brass/bronze/unobtainium) to make future me's life easier.

I'm going through this at the moment with my R1100GS, and reading about everyone else's past miseries is actually making me feel better :) I've booked it in for an MOT with local hexpensivo MOTORAAD and asked them to deal with the sheared stud and pull/replace all others while they're at it... now come the research for some better studs (stainless/brass/bronze/unobtainium) to make future me's life easier.

No need to source "better" studs.... use normal studs and just undo the nuts once a year and apply nickle paste or any such high temperature anti seize.

Thought I'd have a look at mine, dumb idea, I know.

Came off easily, obviously copper greased them years ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom