2013 R1200GS - TE.....how long will my battery last?

baku_mackem

Reaction score
baku, azerbaijan & South Shields, England
Here is the situation, and I am just wondering whether I need to be planning for the worst................any guidance is welcomed.

- currently living in Azerbaijan with my wife and 3 young kids
- went back home to the North East of England mid-March '14 and bought a 2013 RG1200 TE from the local BMW dealer, with only 600 miles on it (lovely bike BTW)
- The bike has no alarm, just the factory fitted immobiliser
- I rode it, washed/dried it, and put it in my kitchen all on the same day - and left to return back to Azerbaijan the next day
- I've just realised I haven't disconnected the battery or put an optimiser on it
- I am heading back to the UK to pick it up as I am off to the IoM TT on 28 May '14

Question - when I get back home will I be confronted with a bike battery that is:
1. OK (no drain as there is nothing pulling current e.g. an alarm)
2. could be OK (as even though there is nothing pulling current, batteries do degrade with time)
3. your knackered (you totally messed up, and you'll need to buy a new battery)

Answers on a postcard please.....

Unknown................take a chance and it should be fine

Realistically what other option have you got?

Does it matter?

Worst is that you have to get a new battery under warranty or buy one

Stop worrying

It (and your bike) are indoors in your kitchen.

It should last two months (eight weeks) with zero load.

If it doesn't it doesn't. There is nothing you can do about it now.

Garaged mine up in late October next started mid march, started first time - battery almost 3 years old, no optimate.

If it's indoors why wouldn't it start!

cheers Wapping

I've been looking on google and I can't find out whether an immobiliser will draw current from the battery or not....

Reality is I that my other bike is a Duc 999 and the electrics on that have left me a little shell-shocked...........looks the bollocks, but doesn't work for sh*t when you hit the button.

Think I'll take Johnny B's advice and stop worrying :)

Mines been in the garage from Oct to march started first time no optimate.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Just turn up with jump leads and cadge a donor vehicle when you pick it up in the event it has run out of juice. Everything will be fine. It will start pretty much straight away.

I'll be interested how you get on so please keep us all posted. Hopefully you'll be fine.

Previous GS's I've replaced the battery with an Odyssey because I have an unpowered garage and over the crappy months have to rely on a decent battery not ruining those free days when the weather clears up. My bike is almost a year old and I'm tempted to replace it shortly.

Daz

My Tmax scooter sits for months at a time without being used, and I've changed to a Motobatt because they will retain charge for (apparently) 12 months.

Left mine all winter, 4 months without a charger it started immediately first touch, it will be fine, I'm presuming that you can probably bounce it off if flat?

Is the bike in the kitchen, or just the battery?:D

Replacing the one year old bike, battery or both?

Just it :). The bike is fab. No plans to change it, esp it now has road biased tyres on.

In a lot of years riding I've only ever been caught short twice with dead batteries and despite seemingly some surviving with OEM batteries for a long time even unattended I'd rather replace it with something I have more faith in.

Daz

My 2013 TE was outside under a cover over winter for at least two months and started straight away.

Mine hasn't lasted from Saturday until this morning :mad: The bike's only 10 days old.

SWMBO has just picked up a new battery from Jefferies as the old one's not properly charging. I'll then drop the bike off for a check over tomorrow. Not a happy bunny.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom