on board computer resetting every time the ignition is turned off

gazza12adv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As the title says,
average mph and average mpg reset to zero every time I turn off the ignition.
All other options work fine,clock, range left, temp gauge.
Both mileometer trips work fine as well.
battery (odyssey)is fine . It starts the bike fine, all other electrics all working.
does anyone have any idea why this could be happening.

I would hazard a guess that you are loosing or lost the permanent live to your instrument cluster and only working from the switched feed which means it will reset every time you switch off.
Check for a permanent live at the instrument cluster connector?

I would hazard a guess that you are loosing or lost the permanent live to your instrument cluster and only working from the switched feed which means it will reset every time you switch off.
Check for a permanent live at the instrument cluster connector?

Thanks for the answer.
Still puzzling because the clock is getting power as I've not had to reset that.
going down to Surrey later. I'll see if it's still doing it.

Rode down to Horsham and stopped just before box Hill to refuel.
didn't reset itself this time
average mph 69.7
Average mpg 39.2.
They do drink some fuel at fast motorway speeds don't they.
I'll see how it is tomorrow when I return.

Average nearly 70 is clogging on a bit.

Sent from my phone with mangled spelling

Dropped to 61 on the way home yesterday.
M25 was very busy last night.
extreme filtering at its best
not reset itself since Friday so far so good

Right.
Computer reset itself again today, back to zero for both when I left home. Rode to box hill and stopped for a burger and reset to zero again.
very puzzling.
Any ideas anyone, there's not a backup battery anywhere which powers the memory is there.
Main battery still fine and everything works apart from the above problem.

Not ridden since the end of May, long story, badly broken hand, recovering now.
Back on the bike this week and it's still doing it, clock is still at the correct time even though I've not been near the bike for over 2 months,
main battery fired up the bike no prob even without it being on a charger for said 2 months,
It's just the average speed and average mpg resetting to zero every time I put the key in,
It's got to have some recall work soon so I may have to get the dealer to have a look.

Is the push button sticking - long press reset the computer

I would say no, as it will scroll through all the modes with no problem.besides you have to select each one individually to reset,

Hmm sounds like @Kenny's comment on losing the permanent live feed is the one to check out.

But the clock part keeps perfect time, and everything else works,
I'll have a play about with the wiring and see if anything happens,

I took the headlight out a couple of weeks ago With the clocks still attached.
Fixed the headlight bulb retaining clips and fitted a headlight protector.
Ever since the average speed and mpg have stopped resetting, very weird,
Must have been a dodgy connection somewhere where the harness goes into the headlight.

Sounds like a dodgy connector contact or wire cracked inside insulation as can happen around the steering

It's been doing it again for the last few months randomly. Put it away for the winter now. So I'll remove the clocks and headlight again soon to check the connectors again.
I did notice the trip resets to the total mileage each time it does it now. Almost like the ignition is having a hickup and resetting.

Dodgy ignition switch microswitch contacts?

GS/GSA have a history of this. Maybe a precursor to future ignition circuit problems ??

Is there perhaps a small battery that maintains info in the clocks that is failing to hold its charge for very long? Just guessing :nenau

Dodgy ignition switch microswitch contacts?

GS/GSA have a history of this. Maybe a precursor to future ignition circuit problems ??

I guess it could be going again. Replaced it quite a few y are ago because it was failing to turn on on the odd occasion,

Probably unlikely though. The symptoms I'm getting are different to when my last switch failed.

Back
Top Bottom