Ticker Killer or new bushes??

tweedy453

Reaction score

Has any one got any thoughts/views on the best route to go?
My dilemma is the shaft / bushes are worn on the right hand side throttle body, do i replace the shaft and bushes or buy a good second hand throttle body from a breaker or opt for a quick fix with the ticker killer? dose the ticker killer fix work and enable you balance the carbs by stopping the flutter of the butterfly or is it just a short term fix before the problem arises again?????

sensible thoughts and views welcome my fellow tossers :thumby:

cheers jon :beerjug:

I did a complete overhaul on mine , it's a easy fix , It made big difference ...don't buy another set as they may well be worse . As I found out when I fitted a 2nd set I bought . ..

Does it help the running of the bike? My left shaft/Bush is quite loose but the bike rides fine?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I don't think it effects the running. You can get the kits if you're ok with spannering and setting the bike up again afterwards. I think a kit would work out cheaper than a 2nd hand pair of unknown provenance.

Does it help the running of the bike? My left shaft/Bush is quite loose but the bike rides fine?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yes it does if you get the throttle bodies done renew the cables as they become notchy with wear and you will find it smooths out low speed running at small throttle openings and in my case stopped the vibration through the foot pegs.

New bushes it is mi thinks

Hi guys thanks for the input I think I will go for the new bushes option as the old adage goes " if a jobs worth doing its worth doing right! " will have a trawl through the net to find a kit / supplier but if any of you know of or can recommend a kit/ supplier then please forward post there details

All the best jon:thumb

There is a kit available. From Dan Cata, in E Europe AFAIR. Have a look on advrider.
There are many testimonials to how easy it is to get the old bushes out. Unfortunately one bush on my LH throttle body seemed to be the exception. So I've been putting off the job on the RH side.

Thanks for that I'll give him a look up and see how I get on ��
All the best jon

+1 for the kit from Dan Cata, dead easy if you take your time!
Ticker killer is a bodge.

Removing the old bushes is very easy. It only requires a tap. Thread it in the bushing, and knock it out with a long screwdriver and hammer from the opposite side.

DSCN3867_zpse907cf24.jpg

DSCN3866_zps264f8ce1.jpg

Thanks for the photos and recommendations lads it's appreciated I ve had a phone round and I am going to opt for the dan cata kit
Cheers jon

Yep, installed Dan Cāta on mine and the ticking was gone. Very easy to install kit. Old butterfly shafts were pretty worn on mine, especially the TPS-sensored throttle body side, which is known main root cause reason for doing most of the "ticking" / "rattling" because the particular shorter shaft has less contact with the bearing and wears out quicker than the other side.

Just to confuse you more:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xO8nQsv2JLY?list=UUwRHIXtVsJKRDHVF4LtCesA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers,
Margus

Removing the old bushes is very easy. It only requires a tap. Thread it in the bushing, and knock it out with a long screwdriver and hammer from the opposite side.

This is how Steve Scriminger removes the old bushes. I know this because when you have your throttle bodies refurbished, he sends you the parts he removes and the bushes have a thread cut into them from the tap :)

When I had mine done, Dan Cata wasn't doing his kits and the only alternative was an expensive and hard to get hold of Bing kit so I elected to send mine to Steve - they come back good as new and ultrasonically cleaned.

That said if I had to do it again (unlikely), I'd get the kit off Dan and do it myself.

If doing the shafts pay careful attention to how the screws which hold the butterfly to the shaft are preened to lock them - you don't want them working loose and being ingested...

And even though the throttle stops aren't disturbed as a part of the procedure, you'll may find that your TB's end up with bad idle balance due to the way things are disturbed and the various tolerances of the components used. You can't correct this properly by doing a normal TB sync as the idle air flow is different through each TB. This happened with mine and it was a bit of a pig to get it right again.

Price for one side is 60$ and for both sides it's 110$. Shipping 19$. So a tad over £80 at today's rate.

Mick

livin' the dream

Thanks for the info, I contacted Steve he can do a full refurb on my right hand side throttle body for £60 plus p+p good value I think personally but I do like a challenge plus aim a tight Yorkshire git so it's a DIY for me !

Back
Top Bottom