2 /3 days in north Africa

AHaywood

Reaction score
Off on our annual summer tour around Europe (with daughter pillion) in a few weeks time. Finalising the itinerary and we have a few days spare. Whilst passing Gibraltar, i wondered if it would be worth taking a ferry across to one of the north African ports and having a short ride around for 2 / 3 days.

Just thought it may be another exciting experience for her. I understand we are unable to travel too far, but any thoughts / opinions / or maybe routes appreciated.

Thanks ...

One day, in total (entry and exit, ferry tickets, queuing etc) will be almost completely 'lost' to you, especially if it's your first time experiencing it.

Having said that, It completely depends on how you see things- if you are able to relax, enjoy the hubbab and the overall experience of your first Moroccan border entry, it can actually become great fun....If you get stressed by bureaucracy, frustrated or can't see it as a bit of a game though, it can be seen as a bad experience.

After that...assuming you build in time to still allow you 2-3 days, you are rather limited by routes and distance in terms of getting to the kind of places that you will have seen most reports coming from, which are South of Marrakech (6 hours by motorway slog) in general.

With 2-3 days though, you could EASILY enjoy the safer parts of the Rif (some parts can be rather threatening if you're considering your daughter on the back)

In direct answer to your question then, and assuming you want to stay on Tarmac.......Enter through Port Tanger Med or Ceuta/Sebta and then follow the rather lovely N2 all the way to Chefchaouen.......you'll recognise it from the photos as the hillside town painted Blue.

There are some wonderful tiny passageways winding their way up and down the hill, a really nice square with some very decent restaurants where you can stay European and get a pizza, or have some proper fresh Moroccan Tagines etc etc. The Soukh is good enough and because it's so far north, it's VERY tourist friendly without being overly touristy, IYKWIM. (For example, your daughter won't feel particularly under pressure not to wear full length sleeves or trousers, as she certainly would in many other towns)

Hotels range from really cheap and cheerful to pretty decent but Westernised and everything inbetween, and you can EASILY find 2 days of stunning roads to ride out from there as a base, so you can leave your kit in the hotel and ride unencumbered.

So, that would genuinely be my recommendation, considering time limits and daughter as pillion, for your first Moroccan trip :beerjug:
(It's what I would do under those circumstances if I had Rosie with me for her first time there)

Yes, definitely worth it, not too expensive and most definitely an experience you and your daughter will remember......I envy your opportunity and in your shoes, I'd grab it :)

Chefchaouen-8%25255B2%25255D.jpg

minafotos_chefchauen2011-0204.jpg

:thumb on what Fanum said, Chefchaouen is recommended, plus by far the easiest way to get in and out of Morocco is via Algeciras to the relatively new, Port Tanger Med. Do some research on the forum to prepare for the forms needed at Tanger Med and it will smooth your entry and exit substantially. Oh, and take all your original documents for the bike with you.

Agree with what Fanum and Blue Sweeper have written. What might put you off is the cost of the ferry which steadily rises each year and in July (school holidays) will cost £125+ for two passengers and moto.

From Tanger Med follow signs heading east to Fnediq, then hop onto the motorway (small toll) south to Tetouan. From there along the coast to Oued Laou, then south west to Chefchaouen. Two thirds of the way to Chefchaouen there's a road to the left to God's Bridge and the Cascades of Akchour which would be good on a hot day.

Since the King visited the region a couple of years ago the Rif is much better.

Asilah on the Atlantic coast would be a good second stop. The annual art festival (during which the whitewashed walls of the medina are turned into open air canvases) will be over by the time you visit, but it's a nice town. Google for 'asilah festival' to see images.

It is currently the holy month of Ramadan which finishes 28 July. During Ramadan cafes and restaurants outside of tourist areas will be closed, and the end of Ramadan is like our Christmas with people travelling home to celebrate Eid, then everything stopping for two-three days.

Hi & thanks to all those who replied, I really appreciate it!

Going to do a little more research and then make a decision over the next day or two.
:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom