Rejected Toilets

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There seemed to be quite a few toilets rejected least year due to gearbox problems.
Just wondered what happened to them. Did they just get put in the showroom for some unsuspecting punter to buy or traded off to non BMW franchised dealers.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BMW:

turdPolishersUnion.jpg

I have a feeling that BMW are regarding the first year of production as one where they expect to have teething problems and hence why they are prepared to be very generous in replacing bikes for new, fitting complete new engines and drive trains because of small amounts of corrosion.

As to reject bikes, maybe they end up at the off road school in Wales or get repaired and used as courtesy bikes.

I have a feeling that BMW are regarding the first year of production as one where they expect to have teething problems and hence why they are prepared to be very generous in replacing bikes for new, fitting complete new engines and drive trains because of small amounts of corrosion.

That's a bit of a blasé statement isn't it?

" ....... they expect to have teething problems ......."

Can we expect a similar attitude from BMW with the first years production of future models?

Can we expect a similar attitude from BMW with the first years production of future models?

Why not, they (and other manufacturers) have done it with all of their previous models.

That's a bit of a blasé statement isn't it?

Do you really need an answer?

Why not, they (and other manufacturers) have done it with all of their previous models.

Apart from Triumph with the Explorer, whom from all reports behaved impeccably in returning all affected bikes to the factory for repairs, I can't think of any manufacturer who has had an issue of this type. Everyone has a story of a Honda or Yamaha or some other bike exploding or destroying a major component, but to the best of my knowledge these have been a one-off and certainly not a consistent issue such as a gearbox or final drive.

As to reject bikes, maybe they end up at the off road school in Wales or get repaired and used as courtesy bikes.
Hey" i bought an ex courtesy bike and it runs brill. It must av had all the fixes done. Rides better than me pals 14 plate. So there.

If you buy a returned bike then you get the chance to test ride it before buying so I don't see the problem really.

If you buy a returned bike then you get the chance to test ride it before buying so I don't see the problem really.

If BMW deemed the bike being "unfit for purpose" to customer "A" how does that make it fit for sale to customer "B" ........... will the dealer tell customer "B" that it has been previously rejected by the previous owner and that BMW have accepted and admitted that it was "unfit for purpose" ?

If BMW deemed the bike being "unfit for purpose" to customer "A" how does that make it fit for sale to customer "B" ........... will the dealer tell customer "B" that it has been previously rejected by the previous owner and that BMW have accepted and admitted that it was "unfit for purpose" ?

Customer B may be better at changing gear than customer A and so bike will be "fit for purpose" :D

Also depends what BMW/the dealer does to the bike in the mean time.

PS - why the concern - are you looking to buy a second hand BMW:confused:

BMW manufacture the bike from scratch and therefore should be capable of making any bike right. However it is a bold assumption that BMW accept a bike is unfit for purpose just because they offer a swap/refund to placate an unhappy customer.

Of course not, he's just trolling, as usual :rolleyes:

We'll let him have his five minutes of fun before closing the thread :comfort:D

Customer B may be better at changing gear than customer A and so bike will be "fit for purpose" :D

Also depends what BMW/the dealer does to the bike in the mean time.

Just curious as what would happen to bikes that are rejected. I've not read all the thread discussing the problems but it seemed that a fair number of bikes were rejected and that in most cases the repairs/mods were not that successful. Just wondered if BMW had a conscience but should know better.

It's all down to what you as an individual perceive to be a problem

A dealer can fix a fault but they can do bugger all about a characteristic without input from the manufacturer. In some cases BMW have decided to upgrade the customer to a newer model and this has proved successful. I doubt BMW look upon the used bikes as being, as you say 'unfit for purpose' and as has already been stated you can always demo a used bike before purchase

There are no losers, only winners :thumby:

My returned bike was sold within the dealer network via there online in house auction, I've just checked the reg and its still out there.

It will have had a new frame, new rear subframe, clutch and gearbox rod, drive housing rubber boot, and i dropped it on its side !

Mines still in the showroom but is not being sold until it has all the other work I was going to have done on it, done to it. New screen pins and circlips, all the other latest and greatest gearbox / clutch mods etc.

My returned bike was sold within the dealer network via there online in house auction, I've just checked the reg and its still out there.

It will have had a new frame, new rear subframe, clutch and gearbox rod, drive housing rubber boot, and i dropped it on its side !

Mines still in the showroom but is not being sold until it has all the other work I was going to have done on it, done to it. New screen pins and circlips, all the other latest and greatest gearbox / clutch mods etc.

Any rejected bike will have all the work done before going to the new owner, and as the new owners will be paying much less than the retail price, I'd imagine that most wouldn't be too worried, as long as the work has been done properly.

I remember back in 2005,I bough one of the 1st K1200R's. Fueling was poor,very poor and I ended up doing all sorts to things to it including having it mapped on a dyno. When the K13R arrived,I bought one and the difference was staggering.
A short time later,a pal bought one of the last K12R's second hand. The difference between his late K12 and my early K12 was amazing,his bike fueled as well as my K13R!

The point I'm making is that when BMW put a bike to market,the first models are still under development and they constantly make improvements.
I've just swapped my '13 GS TE for a new TE and again,12 months development have shown many improvements including improved fueling-again!

I don't agree with this practice as it leaves customers of the first models short changed and makes them unpaid development testers when they give feedback/complaints back to their dealer which inturn helps the manufacturer improve the model.
Hardly fair is it?

Back
Top Bottom