Two bikes. Three weeks. Five countries. 5450 miles.

Aiden, the only reason I knew that is because FRWL was on this last week and there is the scene where Bond's Turkish contact takes him on this underground waterway with columns and as soon as I saw your pics I recognised it....amazing that you have been there and what a fantastic structure. Those Romans did civil engineering pretty well:aidan

Perfic.
Not that I had any doubts, from that off :beerjug:

Cracking report.:thumb Not enough food pictures for my liking though!:rob:p

So, how much was the YingBo Waterproof Motorcycling Travelling Suit?:D

Great report and superb pics Aidan, nicely done :thumby:
Sad to read of Jochen's auld fella's passing.

Thanks for a great report Aidan. Please pass on my condolences to your friend Jochen.

:D :thumb2

Sad ending for the trip, especially for Jochen.

RIP Jochen's dad.

Great RR Aidan thanks for posting,Jochen sorry to hear of your Dad's passing

Norrie

Early on Thursday morning Jochen got word from home that his Father had been taken into hospital overnight. It didn't appear to be too serious initially so we carried on with our plan for the day.

We arrived at our hotel in Brasov at about 4-30pm on Thursday afternoon to a flurry of phone calls. Jochens Dad had been taken to hospital late on Wednesday night and his condition was now giving serious cause for concern. All through dinner the calls continued and upon our return to the hotel we set about changing Jochens flight home from Sunday to Friday lunchtime.

Our plan had been to drop the bikes off at the cargo terminal at Otopeni airport in Bucharest on Friday afternoon then spend the weekend in Bucharest before flying home on Sunday afternoon. With Jochens flight now changed to Friday lunchtime we tried to get the pickup time for the bikes changed from 3pm to 11am but that proved to not be possible so I decided to stay with the bikes to get them loaded then take a later flight home. €116 bought me a flight home late on Friday night which was still a cheaper and better option than a weekend alone in Bucharest.

I awoke just before 7am on Friday morning to the news that Jochens Dad Hans had passed away peacefully at 5am our time, 3am at home in Dublin. Whilst it wasn't completely unexpected it was still a shock that he had passed so suddenly. I think that Jochen was glad then that we had changed his travel arrangements the night before.

Just over one hundred miles separated us from the drop off point for the bikes and they were despatched with in two hours of steady riding. We didn't stop, nor did we take any photos, we just rode along, deep I suspect, in our own thoughts. Jochen caught his plane home and after getting the bikes loaded for the trip home I too made my way home to Dublin.

An eventful end to the trip and certainly not one that we had anticipated.

Loved reading it again Aidan all in one piece. I'm looking forward to a more leisurely attempt at a similar venture next month.:aidan

Loved reading it again Aidan all in one piece. I'm looking forward to a more leisurely attempt at a similar venture next month.

Thank you Peter. I hope you have a great trip and will be following you along via your blog. :thumb2

Wonderful, simply wonderful :thumb

Enjoyed that Aidan ... many thanks for taking the time.

:beerjug:

From the valley floor one can see a huge spaceship like construction on the top of a mountain high above us. Little did we know that twenty minutes later we would be right up there looking back down at where we had just come from.

Aye, the Buzludzha Monument.
Although the front (& only) door is locked there is a wee spot where someone has smashed a couple of the glass blocks to allow you to wriggle through.
Annoyingly the person who made the hole hadn't made it Tosser sized so Aidan had to wait outside :aidan

Inside the place is in sh1t - much of the roof is damaged and the rain pishes in. Most of the roof insulation lies in the stairwells making progress difficult in the gloom. But once you get into the main chamber you get an idea of how splendid, and ostentatious, this place was when it was completed. Unfortunately, between the weather and the vandals / scavengers a lot of the mosaics are damaged and all the 'seats', probably marble slabs originally, are missing.

I know it's a Communist monument & most people in Eastern Bloc countries could't wait to remove as many reminders of the Communist era as they could but it's a shame to see the deterioration here. Surely it could have earned it's upkeep as a tourist attraction :nenau

I didn't manage to find a way into the tower part so it might require a return visit :D

Phew, Aidan

Good job you got that trip finished, 4 months ago, might have had to dodge a few shells there today, from IS near the Syrian & Iraq borders

Sheesh, you weren't far from Mosul and Tikrit, were you:eek:

Not a trip for 2015, methinks:blast

The closest we were to Mosul would have been Tatvan or Van Johnny which was still over 400km away. We did see lots and lots of what appeared to be refugee camps though near both the Syrian and Iraqi borders.

It will be interesting to see if the same trip would be possible next year bearing in mind that up until January of this year we were still intent on circling the Black Sea. Unfortunately the situation in Ukraine deteriorated to the point that it just became too risky. Even though this was a "second choice" trip it was still very memorable.

Back
Top Bottom