My Quest has finally died, time for update.... Montana or 350????

Get a Montana and be done with it.:thumb

Had several 2610s over the years, I say several because they fail after while, although very good as a simple sat nav and cheap now because they're old, bulky, no internal battery and dated, crap for track logs etc.

Have say the Montana does appear to be a good choice for me.... keeping an eye out for one (mainly second hand ones) and trying to convince the other half that spending that amount for one is a good idea.. LOL

My car garmin ...zumo I think, has the usual options. When I set it to 'avoid major roads', it avoids anything thats not a cart track.
When this option is removed, it tries its damndest to put me on the nearest motorway. There is no happy medium. I was wanting to get on decent flowing A or B (british) type roads, but it was either K or L (german classification) roads ... or Motorways/dual carriageways.

It has full 2014 european mapping.

If a wrong turn is taken, it takes minutes to re-route, which is no good in a city for example.

Its my 4th Garmin. I have finally given up with them.

Does the Montana come with turn by turn road navigation? (looking namely at the 600 at the moment... don't need camera so see no point spending more for it)
I get the feeling it doesn't? so what do I need to use turn by turn navigation (Road) but also be able to access OS Maps... just interested in UK at the moment
do I need something like GB Discoverer?

What does it do straight out of the box?

Try a phone with Osmand, Sygic or NavFree. I have been impressed with all three. You can load routes you make on a computer as gpx files and they all offer turn by turn directions. They work on Android or iPhones and are either free or very cheap. You can certainly display OS maps on them although you will have to pay for an OS map. I don't think you can get turn by turn directions for an OS map but it might just be possible to display one as an overlay whilst getting audio prompts from Osmand. A waterproof or water resistant housing for the phone needn't be very expensive. I use one of those zip type things and they are OK in a reasonably heavy shower.

Does the Montana come with turn by turn road navigation? (looking namely at the 600 at the moment... don't need camera so see no point spending more for it)
I get the feeling it doesn't? so what do I need to use turn by turn navigation (Road) but also be able to access OS Maps... just interested in UK at the moment
do I need something like GB Discoverer?

What does it do straight out of the box?

Depends which box you buy, some come with OS maps, or you can buy that card separately if it comes with road mapping.

Alternatively, get one with the OS card and find someone who has a 'cracked' copy of road mapping to put on an SD card for you.

Yes the Montana does turn by turn navigation.

I do have NavFree and full CoPilot and they are all good at what they do, but I find the road details isn't enough, a lot of the small roads aren't visible whilst on route.
Even viewRanger when trekking is good but again the map details are good if you remember to download the area you happen to be in for more details, all running on my Iphone, but want to carry on using a dedicated SatNav, Battery power for one is considerably longer than a Phone using Mapping software.

But of course this is only my view

Try a phone with Osmand, Sygic or NavFree. I have been impressed with all three. You can load routes you make on a computer as gpx files and they all offer turn by turn directions. They work on Android or iPhones and are either free or very cheap. You can certainly display OS maps on them although you will have to pay for an OS map. I don't think you can get turn by turn directions for an OS map but it might just be possible to display one as an overlay whilst getting audio prompts from Osmand. A waterproof or water resistant housing for the phone needn't be very expensive. I use one of those zip type things and they are OK in a reasonably heavy shower.

I have a garmin montana and think its superb. i have city navigator for europe on it and also topographic maps for spain, italy and france and also osm maps. Superb kit.

Back
Top Bottom