My Quest has finally died, time for update.... Montana or 350????

Bikergary

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys, my trusty Quest 1 has finally given up the ghost so it's time for a replacement. But currently don't want to spend a fortune but finding it difficult to find something that just does the job, don't mind it being a slightly older model (Did fine on the quest 1 for this long )

Living with my Quest and using other satnavs occasionally I think I have a wish list...

Something that has a good battery life (7+ hour)
Good size screen and buttons for gloved hands.
Can create routes directly on the unit including via waypoints (no need for PC but useful connection ability)
Full turn by turn directions.
Lane / turn assist for junctions.
Post Code Search
Re-routes quickly.
Lets you by pass a Way-point without turning back or manual intervention.
Waterproof.

Would be nice to also be able to use TOPO maps to if space available for Off roading. etc. but not important

Don't need Ear piece (although internal speaker would be useful or a Speaker via a Car Mount)
Don't need MP3 or Bluetooth or photos.

Think 350 looks promising but preferred the look of Garmin Montana , but not sure how good the road turn by turn navigation is or whether it has lane assist or the on board route planner might be any good.

Any pointers, epically on the Montana, seen quite a bit on the Zumo.

Cheers

Montana can use City Navigator maps so same turn by turn as most other Garmin GPSRs with TTS and post code searches. Pretty certain it doesn't do lane assist, but you can produce a route on it. It and Basecamp integrate so you'll need to learn how to use both to get the best out of both IMO.

I've a Montana and like its confgurability, ie it's an updated 2610. It is compromised a bit by the variety of uses so that for example with speed camera warnings it only bongs or beeps, and doesn't tell you what the speed of it is. Useful site here:

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

660, Nav IV, Nav V or 590

If too big, 550 or Nav III

Is that Byfield, as in Byfield between Woodford Halse and Upper Boddington?

I replaced my Quest with a 350LM and it works rather well.

Basecamp is a bit strange though.

:beerjug:

If you can do without the car mount (my car came with an integrated satnav plus I can use the HTC One) then the 340LM is cheaper
New here NOW MARKED AS SOLD OUT

Factory reworked here

Hi

A friend has a Quest that he was going to sell if you are interested in that. Perfect condition cos he's a bit OCD.

Bill

Just get a £50 Garmin 2610 from here

It's a natural progression from a Quest

Best bike SatNav I reckon & intuitive

Runs Mapsource & no Basecamp bollox

Not supported but who cares, just buy another for £50

Takes me home and abroad on the best biking roads

No music or other shite though

That hardly satisfies the OP's significant list of desired features JB, a list which could be an advertisment feature of Garmin's top flight biker models.

That hardly satisfies the OP's significant list of desired features JB, a list which could be an advertisment feature of Garmin's top flight biker models.

I would say it covers a good 80% of what he wants all for £50 posted

Frankly I can't see why people want all these fancy gps's unless they want Bluetooth or music (and I can't see the point of that either)

A Nav 5 that tells you how many gear changes or times you've braked FFS

Why the feck that is of any remote use whilst riding a motorcycle is beyond me

Along with 'keyless ignition'

Some people need a reality check

Music? It's for bods to feel alive, simple biking just don't do it any more.

Gear changes, brake applications? Pub material, when kicking back, chilling, beer in hand with like minded souls.

Service interval and tyre changes? For the hard of thinking. See above.

Music? It's for bods to feel alive, simple biking just don't do it any more.

Gear changes, brake applications? Pub material, when kicking back, chilling, beer in hand with like minded souls.

Service interval and tyre changes? For the hard of thinking. See above.

Succinct as ever

It's a natural progression from a Quest ..........

Was there meant to be a website address after the "here" JB ?

I know it's not my thread but following it out of interest and would be interested in the "here" link if there is one.

Thanks very much.

It's a natural progression from a Quest

Best bike SatNav I reckon & intuitive

Runs Mapsource & no Basecamp bollox

Not supported but who cares, just buy another for £50

Takes me home and abroad on the best biking roads

No music or other shite though

Serious question (see what I did there?) - what makes a 2610 better than a Quest?

Back
Top Bottom