Garmin Montana 600 - Maps for europe? Where from?

Michael R1150GS Adventure

Reaction score
Im new to this lark and if anyone can help direct me to the best value place for a set of maps for france germany switzerland austria italy etc for using driving on the bike and hopefully some trail info on there too I'd be obliged

cheers in advance

PS I have looked everywhere but loads of people seem to be selling dodgy copies which need good garmin understanding to install. Which I dont have. At all. :)

ha ha yes I looked there but i was just checking I wasnt doing something silly like paying bmw prices for parts so to speak when i can get the same item from somewhere selling them for realistic prices... if it works like that? Can i only buy from garmin?

You can also try OSM maps, also known as ordinary street maps. A little digging on Google should find the site, which provides free routable mapping, just select the map tiles you want and download.

ha ha yes I looked there but i was just checking I wasnt doing something silly like paying bmw prices for parts so to speak when i can get the same item from somewhere selling them for realistic prices... if it works like that? Can i only buy from garmin?

But you referred to 'dodgy' copies and not having an understanding of how to install. Proprietary Garmin should be plug 'n' play. You might have to fiddle with other stuff .....

gonna give that a go and if i cant fettle those files to make it work for me ill have to buy

thanks very much for all the help!

The OSM maps can be as good as Garmin bought ones, but they seemed to come up with some strange routes when I compared the Morocco version vs the Garmin one.

If you go for the Garmin maps I'd recommend getting the DVD version as it can be updated, at extra cost, whereas the download version can't. Also, in my Montana the road maps are on a 32gb micro SD card so I doubt I'll ever see that run out of space due to the complexity and information on the maps getting bigger each time.

Back
Top Bottom