BMW Motorrad Navigator III ~

David Nimrod

Reality you can rely on...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I try and load a set of maps from Mapsource, I get the message that only 814Mb is available.

This unit (unlike the Garmin 2820 that it's based on) won't go into mass storage mode.

Therefore I can't delete map files, and start again... I think it should have just under 2Gb of storage.

Does anyone have a solution?

:beerjug:

I posted this question on Adventure Rider too.

No one answered on there either :tears :tears :tears

I had a Nav3 and, as I recall it, the problem is the data preloaded by BMW eg dealer locations etc, takes up a large chunk of the memory with only the limited amount you mention available to the user. On the positive side I was able to load via base camp (I think :nenau) the area tiles I wanted to use for any particular trip eg UK and France. If I can get my brain cells working I will try and remember how I used to do it.

Thanks for that info...

I am able to load a map set via Basecamp.

I just couldn't see why I only had 814Gb to use.

It seems daft to have so little map capacity :blast

David,when plugged into computer, PC can you click on my computer and view it as a drive and then open it to view files.

No, if I could do that, it would have needed to enter 'mass storage mode'.

The 2820 will do that, something has been changed for this BMW unit, to not allow 'mass storage mode'.

I believe that this the same problem to the StreetPilot 2720. This lacked mass storage mode and was a right PITA. The fix in the link at the bottom of this page was confirmed as working with a Nav3 as mentioned by one of the people who posted on that thread.

If you're loading maps from Mapsource then your loading a gmapsupp.img file that contains all your mapping. This file format is intended as the supplementary mapping space on your GPS for extra mapping beyond the official region install that either came installed from the factory or was installed as an official mapping update. This primary mapping is in a file called gmapprom.img. Now this file can only be created by magical Garmin 'soup' within the update application. Your GPS will work without it but as you have no file access you can't delete it so it's there hogging the lions share of available space.

The gmapsupp.img and gmapprom.img files are the same format, only the file names are different. MapSource and MapInstall can only overwrite gmapsupp.img and the magical Garmin 'soup' can only overwrite gmapprom.img. Both files are overwritten by the respective upload/update processes. The two file names and the inaccessibility of the primary mapping is intentional on Garmin's part to preventing you accidentally over-writing the primary mapping.

Do you have some older mapping on there that's un-ticked in the Maps menu page? If so then that's your problem.

The easiest way to clear the majority of the space is, if you have an LM update subscription (I know these never were sold with this but you can buy them separately) is to do an update and load the region you want. You're never going to get all of Europe on there though.

Alternatively load the smallest region on offer, doesn't matter where as you won't be using it, which will reduce the size of the gmapprom.img file and thus free up room for any gmapsupp.img file you create in Mapsource and upload.

I did find a way many years ago to replace the US mapping on my import 2720 with a legitimately purchased copy of City Nav Europe. This converted the GPS from US to Euro spec. Some thing that Garmin told me was impossible. However, they still sold me the mapping (on DVD in those days) and the required unlock code. The expectation was that I would just use this alongside the installed US mapping that was hogging over half the internal memory (mapping was considerably smaller back the...). That wasn't good enough for me an being a persistent bugger I set about finding a way around this. I had far too much time in my hands then... I managed it and documented it whole thing on the SmellyBiker website forum which is now regrettably defunct (site still going buy forum was dumped). Luckily I grabbed the pages of the site before this happened and saved them locally. Will have a look at getting them onto one of my web servers over the next day or two and post a link back here. The procedure is not for the faint hearted though....

Carpe Diem... Updating primary mapping on Garmin StreetPilot and BMW Nav3 GPSs

You will need a cup of tea and a clear head before starting to read this. Please note that only the page navigation links will work correctly, all other posts will display the current Smelly Biker home page.

Bumpkin - you're a star, thanks!

I'll read this tonite, and see if I can make sense of it...

:beerjug:

Sorry, quite a few typos in my post above, it was late and I was pretty knackered. If you need clarification please let me know.

did you get any joy on this David?
I just purchased a used Navigator iii and love the unit design and feel. It's loaded with standard NT Europe 2012 maps and is malfunctioning, seems like a memory overload and from reading this thread, it's likely the maps installed from the last user's update filled its tiny mind with too much data. I'm trying to find a way to remove some of the maps to free up space and processing capacity, using map updater as there's a tick box saying "free up space on my device". However, this tick box whilst shown in the menu, is inactive. To me it seems preferable using the Garmin standard route before trying Bumpkin's "not for the faint hearted" work around.. . . . .
Any input much appreciated.
Sean

This is the important bit:

Alternatively load the smallest region on offer, doesn't matter where as you won't be using it, which will reduce the size of the gmapprom.img file and thus free up room for any gmapsupp.img file you create in Mapsource and upload.

Load up, say, just the UK, then load other countries via Mapsource or MapInstall.

I'm in the same situation but cannot unlock the CN9 maps in Mapsource in order to remove all but a tiny part of the gmapprom file. Thread here.

I don't want to follow the Carpe Diem route as it looks risky (could brick the unit, even though I have 2 to play with!); any ideas here on how to find the map unlock code?

I'm so nearly there with loading new OSM mapping!

Cheers,

A

Back
Top Bottom