Horizons Unlimited 2015 - cancelled...?

Gecko

Reaction score
Just been reading that the 2015 Horizons meeting isn't going ahead.

Grant Johnson (Horizons Unlimited founder) says " We've given Donington 2 years and we aren’t enthused about being there for a third year, so we have very reluctantly decided to leave 2015 as a fallow year. We are going to spend the next few months looking for a venue that we can afford and will be happy to settle in for a few years. We also want to refocus the event to ensure that the event is a win for all of us - attendees, presenters, exhibitors, volunteers, and ourselves. We want to keep the event as the best place in the UK that you can go to learn the tips of the overlanding road, to be inspired and to be able to link up with so many like-minded people."

It's a real shame but the event has grown so much over the years that it is almost a victom of it's own success. Finding a new location that is big enough and with all the facilities required is going to be a big ask. Mind you, sleeping beside east Midlands airport isn't really a barrel of laughs unless you have had plenty of ale:beer:

So does this mean that without competition, Bakerman's Hograost will be even bigger and the biggest and best yet? ;) :thumby:

So does this mean that without competition, Bakerman's Hograost will be even bigger and the biggest and best yet? ;) :thumby:

The Hogroast will of course be even bigger and bestest (!) yet. :beerjug::aidan

But for those who need a 2015 Horizons Unlimited "fix" there will always be the Horizons Unlimited Ireland meeting in 2015 :)

I had same e-mail.

Seems they did not make enough profit this year - only just broke even.

For me the main HUBB has lost its way - I found the Enniskillen one much closer to the spirit.

Once you start mixing 4x4 and cycles it loses its appeal to me. Maybe we do need a year or two off all the HUBB and touratech events, so we can all actually do some long distance riding and come back with a tale to tell rather than just fingering "must haves" and tarting up the GS so much it becomes unridable away from Tescos.

Yeah - I think from the initial comments I've seen there will be more mini meets next year.

I'm going to be involved in "Horizons Unlimited 15" (I hope the name has been approved Grant? :D ) which will be at Haggs Bank Bunkhouse in Cumbria in June. It's not only 2015 but also the 15th anniversary of the HU meeting so we're planning something a bit special even though it's going to be a smaller scale. I think probably no more than 200 but this depends on if we can borrow the neighbouring field.

Plenty of choices for those who want a return to the old style smaller meetings. Hope to see a few of you there :thumb2

Made all the comments about aircraft noise the first year to no avail and very poor excuses so personally i'm not upset what did make me laugh was "we only just broke even" yet attendees were higher,so who was charging more?,I hope a new venue is found I use to enjoy Ripley every year but the first one at donington put me off so fingers crossed for next year but glad its not donington.:thumb

Yeah - I think from the initial comments I've seen there will be more mini meets next year.

I'm going to be involved in "Horizons Unlimited 15" (I hope the name has been approved Grant? :D ) which will be at Haggs Bank Bunkhouse in Cumbria in June. It's not only 2015 but also the 15th anniversary of the HU meeting so we're planning something a bit special even though it's going to be a smaller scale. I think probably no more than 200 but this depends on if we can borrow the neighbouring field.

Plenty of choices for those who want a return to the old style smaller meetings. Hope to see a few of you there :thumb2

Been to Dannys HU Haggs barn autumn camp last couple of years now, much more like the original HU meets. would certainly recommend and the roads around the area are fantastic. The trails are meant to be brilliant too acording to my mate who runs them.

OK - so scratch that.... after much deliberation the Haggs Bank June event won't be done under the HU banner (I think the November one will be though)

There are still big plans from Haggs Bank in June - but I'll put that in a new thread when there are some details which I am allowed to share with you :D

For me the main HUBB has lost its way -

Once you start mixing 4x4 and cycles it loses its appeal to me

Totally agree with Bladerunner - the best years for me were at Lumb farm - smaller location but used to get very busy.

Some of the best talks here did'nt even feature adventure bikes - but never the less, were about doing it on 2 wheels (not cycles)!

Nothing wrong with push bikes at all, but for me the HUBB is about motorcycle travel.

Back
Top Bottom