Quick shifter insurance woes

this shouldn't make any difference at all to the bike insurance …you have shot yourself in the foot by mentioning it ..so off course they will charge ..you have quite innocently asked them to do that by telling them

Exactly my thinking.
Mine has the factory fitted BMW version.
i add my reg, make and model including year.
Its up to the insurance company to do the checks.

I aint gonna mention the "Turbo nutty buster 3000" ive had fitted to make the bike do 300mph am i?

by the way thats just an example, i dont really have it fitted.... i made it up :D

Exactly my thinking.
Mine has the factory fitted BMW version.
i add my reg, make and model including year.
Its up to the insurance company to do the checks.

I aint gonna mention the "Turbo nutty buster 3000" ive had fitted to make the bike do 300mph am i?

by the way thats just an example, i dont really have it fitted.... i made it up :D

Watch the vid in post 37,

They've got you over a barrel :D

Just a note to those who may be considering a nice new quick shifter for their GS.

I had one fitted with mine , now I do like it a lot but I have just renewed insurance and have been shopping around as you do.

As soon as I mentioned the quick shifter and had the "I'll just put you on hold while I speak to the under writers" I got a number of responses all of which cost money.

Some started with £165 quotes and went to sorry no chance

Some started with £180 and went to £711

Did the checks on line and just removed mention of the quick shifter and we're back to a normal price. I did finally get and underwriter at MCD who didn't mind so much and it only went up a small amount.

So just a note beware of quick shift insurance :)

If the GS is a TE model, does the quick shifter not come as standard?

If this is the case then so long as you tell the insurance company it's a TE model, you don't need to discuss the quick shifter.

If this is the case then so long as you tell the insurance company it's a TE model, you don't need to discuss the quick shifter.

Yes, it does. No need to mention it, they should know what a TE comes with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All good advice.
Insurance asks if any modifications. If you check your vin number and it is part of the original build you have no issues

Yes, it does. No need to mention it, they should know what a TE comes with

And thats a conundrum in it's self.... watch the vid ;) if you declare it as a TE, and they check your reg doc, and its only registered as a GS then you've made a false declaration -

You have to insure it as to what it says on the v5...

I've already had the conversation with my insurance company ....

Depends on the year. My late 2015 (MY 2016) one didn't and was an option then but my late 2017 (MY 2018) one did, so they didn't start fitting them as standard until somewhere between the 2.

And thats a conundrum in it's self.... watch the vid ;) if you declare it as a TE, and they check your reg doc, and its only registered as a GS then you've made a false declaration -

You have to insure it as to what it says on the v5...

I've already had the conversation with my insurance company ....

As all my 5 LC GS have been new, I have had to insure them before I got the V5, so each has been insured on what I ordered and what the sales invoice says. So that should be fine with the insurance company

Depends on the year. My late 2015 (MY 2016) one didn't and was an option then but my late 2017 (MY 2018) one did, so they didn't start fitting them as standard until somewhere between the 2.

4 of my 5 GS have had shift assist pro, I can’t remember which were standard and which were factory options. The only thing that has ever bothered my insurance company was the Akro.

If a car pulls out and T-bones you.... the fact you have a fancy exhaust or quick shift gears wouldn't make any difference to the outcome of the crash.
personally i would see them in court and fight it out.

Id love to see the statistics showing which companies have the highest rate of worming there way out of a claim.
that way everyone could avoid them, and put them out of business.

Reminds me of a mate who was insuring an older classic Kawasaki, broker asks if it is standard and changed from original manufacturers specification , he flippantly replies that the tyres are new modern ones but of the correct size and that the brake pads are not original.

Broker replies that as it is not standard we will not insure it , goodbye

If a car pulls out and T-bones you.... the fact you have a fancy exhaust or quick shift gears wouldn't make any difference to the outcome of the crash.

Id love to see the statistics showing which companies have the highest rate of worming there way out of a claim.

You'd loose

If you dont declare it, knowingly or unknowingly,

you have breached the terms of the contract you entered.

Breach the terms, and they void your insurance..

do let us know how you get on ;)

See the vid in post 37,

I Know who i'd take advice from ;)

Back
Top Bottom