Quick shifter insurance woes

dont think I would have mentioned it in the first place, other than to say I have not fitted any XXXXXXX insurance companies always ask damn fool questions anyway.

Carol Nash had a blue fit when I bought my 2003 640. CN - has the vehicle been altered from standard, me - I have had the bike 30 minutes and its its 16 years old, I havent got a clue!! CN - you have to anwser yes or no, me- no I have to be honest, I dont know and its unreasonable of you to expect it, so the anwser is I dont know.

Eventually they were fine with that, be nice to them just remember if they had:- any brains, get up and go, common sense, practical problem solving abilities etc then they would have proper jobs not working in an insurance call centre.

Changed a 2014 r1200gsa te with all the bells and whistles inc GSAP for a brand new 2018 model r1200gsa basic but fitted with pannier rails, onboard computer pro, heated grips,sat nav prep and led spot lights.
So no SOS,TFT,ESA,LED headlight,keyless,GSAP etc...................CN took a dicky fit and stuffed me for an extra £130 ish for 5 months cover as the options as the factory fit options made it more of a risk. They rubbed salt in the wound by then saying if I had bought a new 2018 model r1200gsa te with all the bits fitted and spent £2500 more it would not have affected my premiums.
Contacted the Insurance company itself directly to query this policy of penalising me for buying a more basic bike with a few of the options ticked to be told it was incorrect.
At renewal time the cost dropped to below what it had been the prevous year for the TE model

I think GSAP is standard on TE, Sport and Exclusive versions (depending model) of most of the bikes now and indeed is becoming standard on a lot of manufacturers' bikes.

How would GSAP/ a quick-shifter help anyone with a broken ankle? All they do is allow you to change gear without using the clutch-you still have to use your left foot to change gear.

I guess you could reach down and operate the gears with you left hand and not bother with the clutch? :rolleyes:

This thread has gone down hill very fast... but insurance companies ask if the vehicle has been modified o changed from manufacture, and options fitted at manufacture are standard, if you ride the bike out of the garage come back the next day to change suspension, wheels brakes exhaust these are modifications and although some insurers are open to non performance enhancing modifications some insurers are not. Even if it is an aftermarket quick shifter. the terms of the policy will be for standard bikes.

I am not sure if you replace the air in your tyres with winter air and as to whether this needs to be disclosed!!!

dont think I would have mentioned it in the first place, other than to say I have not fitted any XXXXXXX insurance companies always ask damn fool questions anyway.

Carol Nash had a blue fit when I bought my 2003 640. CN - has the vehicle been altered from standard, me - I have had the bike 30 minutes and its its 16 years old, I havent got a clue!! CN - you have to anwser yes or no, me- no I have to be honest, I dont know and its unreasonable of you to expect it, so the anwser is I dont know.

Eventually they were fine with that, be nice to them just remember if they had:- any brains, get up and go, common sense, practical problem solving abilities etc then they would have proper jobs not working in an insurance call centre.

Dam fool questions :D

This is why they ask the damm fool questions, ;)

The onus is on you, forget to mention something , tata insurance ....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBa0h3frVdo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My insurers state all options factory fitted are covered and dont need to be declared.

Anything after that, needs declaring.

I got them to ammend my policy last week, they had my medical stuff wrong ...

The mods i wanted to make they were more than happy with .... declared .... insured

I am in the process of changing bikes from a 2016 R1200GS LC to a 2018 GSA; called the insurer to to make the change (Hastings) only to be told the underwriter will not cover the new bike and have declined to give a reason. I then had to cancel the policy for which they wanted £45, I kicked off over that, they cannot provide me with insurance so want to charge me for for their lack of service, they relented and waived the charge.

I then went on the comparison website for a new policy quote and guess what who comes up in the top three quotes; "Hastings". It makes no sense and I have lost a years no claims as the cancelled policy did not run for a full year, it would have been due renewal in Aug.

Needless to say I did not choose Hastings for the new policy.

You will also have to declare that you were refused insurance.
Not sure about this. The underwriter is unable to provide cover not refusing to provide cover. A refusal to provide would indicate that the rider/bike were considered too high a risk - there is no evidence here that that is the case. Personally, in this situation, I would not be declaring that I had been refused insurance. Just my thoughts - happy to be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom