Quick shifter insurance woes

Fenwarrior

Reaction score
Just a note to those who may be considering a nice new quick shifter for their GS.

I had one fitted with mine , now I do like it a lot but I have just renewed insurance and have been shopping around as you do.

As soon as I mentioned the quick shifter and had the "I'll just put you on hold while I speak to the under writers" I got a number of responses all of which cost money.

Some started with £165 quotes and went to sorry no chance

Some started with £180 and went to £711

Did the checks on line and just removed mention of the quick shifter and we're back to a normal price. I did finally get and underwriter at MCD who didn't mind so much and it only went up a small amount.

So just a note beware of quick shift insurance :)

I had quick shifters on my 3 K1300's didn't make any difference to the insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had quick shifters on my 3 K1300's didn't make any difference to the insurance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now if you'd said with whom you insure, that would have been a useful post........ :D

I have the BMW one no difference for me on mine, but it's not a quick shifter it's a BMW gear shift assist pro, well that what BMW called it :thumb

I have the BMW one no difference for me on mine, but it's not a quick shifter it's a BMW gear shift assist pro, well that what BMW called it :thumb

Factory/ dealer sourced options make no difference to the price of a BMW insurance policy.:thumb

this shouldn't make any difference at all to the bike insurance …you have shot yourself in the foot by mentioning it ..so off course they will charge ..you have quite innocently asked them to do that by telling them

Carole Nash are a joke anyway ..they are the new Bennets ...

The insurance industry works on a database of all vehicles searched by registration number, any factory fitted options/extras are already included when the bike is first registered so no need to declare, they're already assessed in your initial premium.

The insurance industry works on a database of all vehicles searched by registration number, any factory fitted options/extras are already included when the bike is first registered so no need to declare, they're already assessed in your initial premium.

And if it was a dealer fitted option?

The insurance industry works on a database by group, the larger / more expensive / more powerful vehicles falling into a higher category and usually more costly to insure. The number plate database only makes it easier for bods (and an insurer) to identify a bike, according to how the manufacturer gave their generic name, cubic capacity, engine and frame numbers, 02 emissions, dB output and colour to Swansea. It also serves to act as a much simpler indentifier than recording a 15 digit VIN.

The registration plate registration simply carries the generic make and model of the vehicle, not all the additional bells and whistles fitted either at the time of manufacture or subsequently. For instance, a bike first registered as a 1600 GT SE (group say 16) will have the fancy headlight as standard from the factory but not necessarily the radio option. The number plate registration will show the make and model as a 1600 GT SE, nothing more. On investigation it will be easy to establish that all SE versions of that era had the fancy lights but only some had a radio. It will then be up to the insured person (you) to prove that they had the radio fitted option and / or to declare it.

Then move on to bikes that are sold, unregistered, then only registered maybe years later; the factory fit options will be neither here nor there. Or bikes that start in one country, are imported into the UK and simply issued a registration plate as near as possible to the year of original manufacture, as opposed to a Q plate. Or take bikes that can have an alarm fitted at the factory, then registered. Or fitted later, with no change of the registration details at all. Having an alarm fitted (or not) may alter your premium but not alter the generic registration of the vehicle on jot.

Any thoughts.
Purchased my 2nd user bike from a bmw dealership. Advert did not mention quick shifter and did not believe it had one. However the vin confirmed a few months ago that it did.
Halfway through my policy now with bennetts underwritten by saga. Just purchased a slip on akra and thought best tell them. Aware of admin charge etc. However mentioning quick shifter and now referred to underwriter. If the extra cost is a piss take, is it unreasonable to disable the shift assist pro and not declare it in the future.

Surely it depends on the bike's original spec. A lot of the newer BMWs have GSAP as standard so this would not need to be declared. I have always been asked about any modifications from standard and on my last bike even factory fitted options were not considered as issues other than as they affected the value of the bike. I guess you have to be honest about any after-market accessories but being sensible; would I mention a mudguard extension - no but an after-market silencer or exhaust - yes.

Well good news. Underwriter said no problem with NO increase in premium for the Akropovic and quick shifter. Admin fee of £32 applies which is fair enough.

I agree old Steve, but bennetts specifically have it on their website what needs to be declared and gsap is one of them

Well good news. Underwriter said no problem with NO increase in premium for the Akropovic and quick shifter. Admin fee of £32 applies which is fair enough.

I agree old Steve, but bennetts specifically have it on their website what needs to be declared and gsap is one of them

You would not need to disclose if the vehicle is new surely because its come direct from the manufacturer like that. All TE's would have it surely :nenau:D

Back
Top Bottom